Vintage Travel Trailers

Travel Trailer.jpgAnother nice travel trailer

Travel Trailer.jpg

Brings me back to the fifties travelling through New England.
Stopping in rest areas, sitting on benches under the pine trees eating tuna fish sandwiches and warm milk.
No **** perverts lurking behind the trees trying to hook up....

After I retire........I would like a vintage travel trailer to pull behind the NY'er to go wherever it's 70 degree during the winter. It would be cool to get a vendor spot next to Will & Ellie at Carlisle and set up the trailer and then park the NY'er on the "famed C-Body line".

After I retire........I would like a vintage travel trailer to pull behind the NY'er to go wherever it's 70 degree during the winter. It would be cool to get a vendor spot next to Will & Ellie at Carlisle and set up the trailer and then park the NY'er on the "famed C-Body line".

So you're joining the new cast for Trailer Park Boys with your own ride, Bob ? ;)

i272586.jpg

i272586.jpg

Last edited:
I know sometimes finding a receiver hitch to fit our older cars can be a challenge.Seems alot of the books don't go back far enough,and on many of the older vehicles,the frame rails were set further apart,making it difficult to find a hitch that is even wide enough to come close.If your a person that frequents some of the salvage yards,pull-a-part,etc, then you might be in luck.You can usually find something from a truck or an suv that will bolt up or that might need a few modifications to get it to work.One of the widest hitches I've found came off a Ford Expedition.It seems they have a very wide frame rail spacing.You can probably have side brackets fabricated and it all welded together for less than the price of a new hitch.I've purchased receiver hitches for less than $20 by pulling it yourself,just don't forget to bring various large sockets,a handy pair of vice grips and a good breaker bar or heavy duty pipe for added leverage for removing those old rust bolts.

Better yet, get an original owners manual for your car and have one fabricated to the drawing in the back. The only change would be to use a 2" tube for the hitch.

Alan

You can probably get a new universal hitch that will work on a C-Body frame.Seems the C-Body frame rails where the rear bumper mount up to aren't that far apart like with alot of the older GM vehicle chassis of the period.I've looked into this a bit and it looks like you can use one of those universal Reese hitches and maybe just modify or redrill the side mounting plates to get it to bolt up to the same as the stock bumper location.You may possibly need longer bolts and have to modify your tailpipe location slightly to clear the 2" reciever tube and bumper.DSC01739.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

I'm sure I can eventually find a universal hitch that'll be up to the task. BTW, my NYB has factory auto leveling suspension.

Notin_1961__1_2_.jpg

One of my favorite European trailers are the vintage French Notin models with wooden shades and their typical cantelever roof.

Notin_1961__1_2_.jpg

here's mine, fall of 2012

The T&C did a good job to a local campground. In time all efforts will be made to go some distance. BTW it's a 1973 Airstream Tradewind. She's 25 foot long and weighs about 4200 dry

100_4242.jpg

Heres an ad from the late 70's from Brazil for a travel trailer. Although it looks like a 66 Ford, the tow vehicle is identified as a 1976 Ford. In Brazil, The 66 Ford was produced up through the late 70's with only minor styling changes over the years to the grille, tail lights and trunk. Likewise the 1970 Maverick lasted through the late 70's in Brazil with almost no changes to the styling. Just like Dodge built the 69 Dart up through 77 with only minor grille and detail changes. Then Brazil got the 73 Dart. It wasn't uncommon for South American countries to get tooling from Detroit when they were done. One Chevrolet sold in Brazil in the 70's was really a 62-65 Chevy II with an updated grille. In Argentina, the 63 Ford Falcon was built well into the 70's, and didn't even evolve enough to get a new grille till the late 70's. In Argentina, the 1965 Rambler Classic and Rambler Ambassador continued into the mid 70's without even an update to the 66 style grille and tail lights.
1011676_825262627487461_920251172_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back