Vintage Travel Trailers

I never thought taking any before pics. I will get a pic of it before I install the hitch. And after.

Found this pic of a reciever hitch on a Dodge Dodge B-Body with Tow Hitch.jpg

Dodge B-Body with Tow Hitch.jpg

Great video! Having owned a 74 Airstream Argosy model in the past,I have to say that they are built pretty tough.Their interior design has changed somewhat over the past few years to cope with some of the new technologies but they are basically still made the same way.When we got hit with two hurricanes back in fall of 2004,my Airstream was sitting in my driveway at the time.It went thru both storms sitting on a cement driveway with absolutely no damage,although the tongue did manage to move about an inch or two due to the high winds.Not a single leak at all.I still don't know if I'd ever try performing any of those crazy stunts that they do towards the end of the video!

I have seen this one a few times. It was in original condition, great shape, and huge. A 1938 Curtis camper.

b1494eb3cef0f8d7bea9e74e89a3699a.jpg

Hitch 003.jpgHitch 006.jpg
Mostly done with the hitch for the 300. The double angle bracket allows the dual exhaust to run directly under the frame rail and straight out the back.
I bought a used class II hitch and cut it down to about 31"
I used an 8x12" plate steel 3/16 thick from Midwest metal whse.$11 ea. My local ALRO steel shop wanted $50 per side!
Its mounted now and looks just like the one on that blue Dodge. I have to get a longer stinger though as my lic plate needs more room for gas access.
I hope this helps somebody else.

Hitch 003.jpg

Hitch 006.jpg

Very nice! That's what we have to do on these cars is take an existing receiver and modify it to suit. I wish I had kept the receiver I cut off a '73 Imperial I had in the early '90s. The PO hauled a 28' Airstream with it. The car was set up with an electric brake controller and anti-sway bars, along with overload springs and air shocks. He also had a large transmission cooler and a power steering cooler off a Polara cop car installed. The guy did it right.

While hunting thru the salvage yards I've found some of the widest reciever hitches are on Ford Expeditions.Many of the older cars from the 60's have a wide frame rail spacing and most of the new universal hitches aren't wide enough to reach across,even using a truck hitch.Getting one from the salvage yard can be a great bargain for around $25-30 which leaves room for modification!

Back