Vintage Travel Trailers

I love these old trailers too. Add that to my list of things I want to own someday. I picture my girl and I pulling one of these old beauties behind a station wagon. :)

1961 Holiday House Geographic Model X-all fiberglass....... 1961 Holiday House Geographic Model X.jpg1961 Holiday House Geo.jpg1961 Holiday House Model X Fiberglass.jpg

1961 Holiday House Geographic Model X.jpg

1961 Holiday House Geo.jpg

1961 Holiday House Model X Fiberglass.jpg

[h=1]Reminisce Magazine tracks 80 years of Airstream trailers[/h]

Reminisce_Airstream_feature.jpg

Airstream: Around the world in 80 years

NEW YORK — Few products, perhaps the Coca-Cola contour bottle or the Volkswagen Beetle, are as shapely as the Airstream trailer. Featured in movies like Independence Day and Charlie’s Angels to TV shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “The Simple Life,” — even Matthew McConaughey has a truly tricked out, customized model – the Airstream is a legendary icon now celebrating eight gleaming decades as the favorite home away from home, a feature story in the August/September issue of Reminisce Magazine.

The brainchild of a charismatic businessman named Wally Byam, the Airstream’s origins stemmed from a small two-wheeled donkey cart equipped with a washbasin, a kerosene heater and a sleeping bag which evolved into a tent erected atop a platform attached to a Ford Model T chassis. Of course this was an unlovable contraption, particularly to his first wife who refused to go camping without a basic kitchen.
So Bynum replaced the tent with a teardrop-shaped cabin that included a small stove and an ice chest. He built several more trailers, refining his design, but the credit for the distinctive shape goes to William Hawley Bowles, an aircraft designer who had served as a foreman in the shop that assembled the Spirit of St. Louis for Charles Lindbergh. It was Bowles who penned a dramatic aircraft-inspired travel trailer made of aluminum. Unfortunately he was a more gifted designer than a businessman and his company went under after producing just 80 trailers.
Wally, who had done some sales and marketing for Bowles, then picked up the pieces and became Airstream’s chief executive, traveling the country – and later the world – with a trailer in tow.
A slideshow of the favorite home away from home can be viewed here: http://www.reminisce.com/2012/07/airstream-around-the-world-in-80-years/

REM_Airstream_01.jpg

REM_Airstream_07.jpg

REM_Airstream_10.jpg

REM_Airstream_08.jpg

REM_Airstream_06.jpg

REM_Airstream_05.jpg

REM_Airstream_04.jpg

Well I'm almost finished re-manufacturing the class II hitch for my 68 300. I pick up a used one from craigslist for 25 bucks! Its not a pretty as I hoped it would be but its more than strong enough for this vintage 10' trailer.

Well I'm almost finished re-manufacturing the class II hitch for my 68 300. I pick up a used one from craigslist for 25 bucks! Its not a pretty as I hoped it would be but its more than strong enough for this vintage 10' trailer.
Can't wait to see it.

Well I'm almost finished re-manufacturing the class II hitch for my 68 300. QUOTE]
Id love to see some pictures of how you made it work. I have a class III hitch that I want to adapt to our 69 300. I'm thinking about a set of brackets that will bolt to my bumper bracket mounts at the frame rail and allow the hitch to be removed from them when not in use. I'll only be towing a pop up camper.

Back