Vintage Travel Trailers

We picked up this 1954 Campover last summer. Luckily we live near Elkhart IN where is was built originally. There is very little to no information about the company. So we are taking liberties in the resto-mod. I got most of the aluminum sheeting on it last fall.

Many of the original canned ham trailers back in the 50's and 60's were built on a metal chassis using 1"x2" framing.They actually built them from the inside out.Once the plywood flooring structure went down over the chassis,they would install the interior,the interior walls along with the framing,then attach the outer skin,paint,install windows and trim and they were done.
1911995_713712048670400_138625148_n.jpgVintage trailer interior.jpg

1911995_713712048670400_138625148_n.jpg

Vintage trailer interior.jpg

Awesome topic, i have a 1978 coleman pop-up i use during the summer, and i just bought a 1966 chevy cruis aire (yeh thats how they spell it), 1 of 6 made, that iam going to use for camping.

Lance (the Destroyer) is a best bud of mine down here. A real hard core Chrysler guy. Always had a couple of them. Well he used to be until his wife left him, found a whacko G/F (who also left him) and his mind got all effed up. Shame. He knew every P/N from the 63/64 Chryslers.
But I digress, as a kid, he lived across the road from a junk yard. Instead of playing ball and getting into trouble with the other kids, he spent his childhood in the junkyard. He developed the ability to strip a car in one day to its bare carcass with just a monkey wrench and a screwdriver. Makes a living selling off all that crap. The problem is, being an Ace of Spades on stripping a car, he cant put one back together to save his life. I've seen him take one clunker after another and ruin it while trying to "fix it up a little to sell". Hence, his title, "Lance the Destroyer" He's a real character. Part KY hillybilly, part Cuban. Ever meet a Cuban Hillbilly?? Hysterical.

cqqsy.jpg

Lance (the Destroyer) is a best bud of mine down here. A real hard core Chrysler guy. Always had a couple of them. Well he used to be until his wife left him, found a whacko G/F (who also left him) and his mind got all effed up. Shame. He knew every P/N from the 63/64 Chryslers.
But I digress, as a kid, he lived across the road from a junk yard. Instead of playing ball and getting into trouble with the other kids, he spent his childhood in the junkyard. He developed the ability to strip a car in one day to its bare carcass with just a monkey wrench and a screwdriver. Makes a living selling off all that crap. The problem is, being an Ace of Spades on stripping a car, he cant put one back together to save his life. I've seen him take one clunker after another and ruin it while trying to "fix it up a little to sell". Hence, his title, "Lance the Destroyer" He's a real character. Part KY hillybilly, part Cuban. Ever meet a Cuban Hillbilly?? Hysterical.

cqqsy.jpg

Thanks for the rundown Stan. Lance sounds like a guy I'd like to have a beer with

Heres my camper, i bought before winter, its a 1966 chevy cruz aire, its 1 of 6, the person that built these i gues they were a flop, so they went to dodge, and they started the company xplorer campers, heres a site that tells about both. www.xplorer21.com.

It dosen't fit into the "vintage" catagory, but Ellie and I just picked up a 1994 Jayco pop up to tow behind Jazebelle.
It hasen't seen much use in it's 20 years but needs a lot of TLC. I've ordered a complete new canvas for it and am doing a remodel on the interior. Its got everything we need, A/C, fridge, 3 burner propane stove that mounts inside or outside, sink, king & queen size beds and a booth that seats 4. Should be perfect for us ....... A heck of a lot better then the tent at Carlisle.... LOL.

I have a hitch that I will modify to fit Jazebelle and be removable when not in use. The unit weighs about 1400 lbs and is about 17' long overall. A friend has a 72 Imperial parts car with a factory towing package. I'm going to use the trans cooler from it.

Maybe a vintage unit down the road, we'll see how this works out.

Jayco left side (Large).jpg

hitch (Large).jpg

The Trailmanor seems to be the best of both worlds as far as newer campers go.It's a pop-up,but is a hard sided unit ( no canvas ).It comes in different sizes and most will fit into your standard garage when closed.It only takes a matter of 3-4 minutes to set it up and you've got an instant self-contained camper that's actually pretty large inside.They also say that it only uses one more gallon per mile while towing.Trailmanor.jpgTrailmanor set-up.jpgTrailmanor 3.jpgTrailmanor 4.JPGTrailmanor 2.JPG

Trailmanor.jpg

Trailmanor set-up.jpg

Trailmanor 3.jpg

Trailmanor 4.JPG

Trailmanor 2.JPG

Looks like your starting from the ground up with that teardrop.I guess a teardrop is more like a step up from a tent.It's hard to consider one of these after having and airstream in the past.But they really are bare bones camping,except having a solid roof over your head at night.And with the really light weight of those teardrops,it makes towing with virtually any vehicle a snap.Here's a video of a teardrop build............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9JmcPHVRE

I remember as a kid all those little ads in the back of Popular Science to DIY trailer plans.
I always thought that was so cool!!

ehenes.jpg

Back