Vinyl roof idea.

my wife says when she was a kid her dad Honest Tall Paul did a top with roofing pookey and a hand trowel.

I was wondering how rhino liner would do up there myself. anyone ?

- saylor

Synthetic-Grass-Artificial-Turf-GW203814-X-.jpg

th
grass-car.jpg

in proper FCBO protocol, please allow me to hijack this thread.

I went to the body man today to see about removing the old top and going sans vinyl with a finished and painted top. he said don't even try, and to go put another vinyl top on it and it will last me the rest of my life.

whats up on that? wisdom or laziness?

I vote for laziness. A properly stripped, and painted top will completely seal and protect the roof. The factory didn't even prime under the vinyl top that's why the roof rots out. I vote for stripping, priming, and using a quality paint.

in proper FCBO protocol, please allow me to hijack this thread.

I went to the body man today to see about removing the old top and going sans vinyl with a finished and painted top. he said don't even try, and to go put another vinyl top on it and it will last me the rest of my life.

whats up on that? wisdom or laziness?

I vote for laziness. A properly stripped, and painted top will completely seal and protect the roof. The factory didn't even prime under the vinyl top that's why the roof rots out. I vote for stripping, priming, and using a quality paint.

I dunno about that. I recently had the vinyl roof replaced on my DD '85 Grand Marquis. The original had long cracks all through it from Sun exposure from being parked outside most of its' life. I anticipated the worst. Once the top was peeled off, the metal was absolutely pristine. And yes, it was body color under that roof, with the paint in very good shape.

On my '66 Coronet 500 and a '66 Satellite I used to own, the roofs were both painted body color under the original vinyl. To say that the carmakers don't even primer under the vinyl roofs is a misguided statement. Think about it - a car is generally dipped in paint and submerged completely (even then), with the primer coat before that. It would make zero sense to do that to non-vinyl top cars, and partially do that to cars with vinyl tops. I've yet to see bare metal under any vinyl top I've personally stripped off a car.

Some of my vinyl top was peeling around the rear window area. The paint does extend under it, as far as I can see under it, anyway. I haven't peeled the whole top off yet, but there are only a couple of small areas where I could feel any blistering. The rest feels smooth and solid. I won't really know for sure though until I strip all of it. So, we'll see.

I would hope that the factory wouldn't apply a vinyl top to a bare metal roof.

Back