Voltage regulator dies (tried both el-mec and transistorized)

69lebaron

Reaction score
Hi,
My 69 LeBaron has originally mechanical VR and a grounded field alt. It kept melting the points inside the regulator (two new ones made in USA). I bypassed the bulkhead connector since both red and black wires had marks of overheating near the connector and also bypassed the ammeter (all with 6mm2 wire). I also upgraded to squareback and an electronic regulator and now I have two dead new model regulators. I have had an extra ground wire from engine to the regulator core this whole time and i have cleaned bat and ign terminals from ignition switch as well as ign terminal from bulkhead connector.
Yet when measuring resistances in the wiring I get 60 ohms beetween the regulator blue wire and my battery right after charging system dies (decreases when left to cool).
Is it possible that the + wiring from ignition switch to regulator has too much load since the the ast resistor is bypassed for 12V coil and a points conversion kit? And if so, would it explain frying voltage regulators?
I have no idea about the timeline of installation of points conversion kit and the beginning of charging problems since both came with the car when I bought it...

My 69 LeBaron has originally mechanical VR and a grounded field alt.

No, it didn't. The '69 Imperial had an isolated field alternator and electronic VR when it came from the factory.

I also upgraded to squareback and an electronic regulator and now I have two dead new model regulators.

Yet when measuring resistances in the wiring I get 60 ohms beetween the regulator blue wire and my battery right after charging system dies (decreases when left to cool).

All the regulator does is act as a switch that turns the field in the alternator off and on. No current from the alternator goes through the switch.

I'd take a look at the FSM because the charging wiring in a '69 Imperial is different from the other cars that year. It's possible that the car's wiring was cobbled up to put a mechanical VR when the '69 had a electronic unit to begin with. Go over the wiring diagram and look at what has been changed.

Whatever you do, there's been some significant changes from stock... Isolated ground alternator with electronic VR to grounded field with mechanical VR and then to the newer version of the isolated ground alternator with electronic VR.

I'll take a WAG and say that the first change (apparently before you owned the car) has screwed up the wiring somehow.

1969 Chrysler Imperial Servicing Highlights Guide from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 254
1969 Chrysler Imperial Servicing Highlights Guide from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 254
1969 Chrysler Imperial Charging System Diagnosis Service Guide from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 256 (run through the pages)

Is it possible that the + wiring from ignition switch to regulator has too much load since the the ast resistor is bypassed for 12V coil and a points conversion kit? And if so, would it explain frying voltage regulators?

No

Back