Voltage Regulator Question-1964 NY

mikedrini

Reaction score
Quick question regarding VR's (opinion based) and I will list my specs. I have a BB 383, with the upgraded HEI Distributor, coil, upgraded 95 amp alternator, red Optima battery, micro torque starter, 650 demon carb with electric choke and an electric fuel pump. Performer intake manifold. Bypassed ammeter.

Everything else is pretty stock (cam, heads, exhaust manifolds), no battery draws, really no big electricity zappers, pretty basic stuff. Even the door jambs, dome and trunk lights are disconnected. My question is which VR would you guys recommend?

acr6000-3__77332.1471301874.jpg

dd92ac08-b780-47f5-8d2c-f8e5613f67b3_1.fe27927693f0a06e017c6ffc91af3eae.jpg

312-77r06285_2.jpg

I had the 1st one in it originally, but swapped to the second one after my upgrades (per the input I read) and finally, I have the 3rd one kicking around just in case. From what I have read, I am hearing the 3rd one is best given my setup, but wanted the opinions of you fine folk.

Gracias.

The 95 amp alternator is serious over kill for your application. You would want to run a second 10 ga wire from the alternator lug to the starter relay lug to take some of the load off of your stock wiring if you have not already done so, be sure it has a fusible link! The high output alternator is famous for smoking the alternator circuit if it is not modified. The factory voltage regulator should work fine with this setup (the bottom one). The correct plug is available on line.

Dave

Last edited:
You need to switch to the 1970 & later style voltage regulator. Unless you bypass the amp/volt gauge & do other wiring upgrades you run the risk of burning your car to the ground as your alternator has more than double the output of the factory alternator (37 - 45 amps). Why do you need a 95 amp alternator?

Thank you kindly. I was going to do some electrical additions (fan, water pump, stereo system) and for the record, I did add the extra wire to the starter relay. If it's that big of a deal, I can always put the old alternator back on there.

Thank you kindly. I was going to do some electrical additions (fan, water pump, stereo system) and for the record, I did add the extra wire to the starter relay. If it's that big of a deal, I can always put the old alternator back on there.

There is concern because:
- The Chrysler charging systems were not the best design, in particular because the charging current on 1960's era MOPARS went through the bulkhead connector to the Amp or Volt gauge before going back out the bulkhead connector to the battery and the wiring and the gauges had limited capacity before they would melt down or catch fire.
- You are dealing with 50+/- year old wiring that may be brittle due to age
- Your car likely came with a 37 - 45 amp alternator with small gauge wiring designed to handle that type of output and a 95 amp alternator needs larger gauge wiring.

Sounds like you are building a hot rod with electric cooling fans, an electric water pump and a power sucking stereo system so you likely need the bigger alternator. You just need to re-do the charging system to handle all the changes to the charging and electrical system.

I also managed to leave out of my original post that I redid the wiring harness. I am not using the bulkhead connectors, just passing the wires through it for a stock look, if that makes sense (saw it done in another article). Ultimately, I don't need the 95 amp alternator right now, so I will switch back, but good to know which VR is best regardless moving forward.

You've upgraded to Elec. Ignig. I hope you read the first dot note?
There are a number of reasons one might want to upgrade a per-1970 system to a transistorized voltage regulator. The list of reason include
--- Chrysler recommends you switch to a transistorized VR if you upgrade to an electronic ignition from a points style ignition.
--- If you have to buy a new voltage regulator, the difference in cost is only about $5-10 more for the transistorized unit. Not to mention, the quality of replacement early style VR's is spotty.
--- The transistorized VR will have a longer life.
Below is a diagram describing how to install a 70 and later Voltage Regulator on a sixties mopar.

Back