****VOTE**** Is there interest in Legendary making '70-'71 Sport Fury seat covers?

Is there interest in Legendary producing '70-'71 Sport Fury front/rear seat covers? VOTE NOW

• I'm interested in '70 Sport Fury front/rear seat covers

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • I'm interested in '71 Sport Fury front/rear seat covers

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
I am going by memory, $1800 - $2000 for the seat covers………..

That’s what they quoted me to make seat covers for my Monaco. Plus they wanted my original seat covers for patterns. Figure another grand for all the seat foam and installation. Not to mention a year or so wait with no seats in my car. I know they do a good job but very backlogged.

I'm confused, the material is available, correct? Why can't the local interior guy do it.?

I'm confused, the material is available, correct? Why can't the local interior guy do it.?
Exactly what I did. And for less money.

You would still have to buy the material from SMS if you want identical and then have your guy make them up correctly.

If Legendary were to supply them in larger quantities, you would get them for less than SMS making them up from scratch and waiting forever too, whereas if Legendary made them, you would just order them and be assured they would be very good quality and done correctly with no hassles and then probably at less cost than if your upholsterer did the job. I would suspect that Legendary gets much better prices on the material that they also get from SMS than we would from what I understand too.

My upholstery guy is fantastic, but I would still order the seat covers for my 1971 Chrysler 300s for example from Legendary. It is cheaper and easier than having my upholstery guy make them up.

BUT if they aren't available as a cover it can easily be had.

Agree. But there is still an advantage to having Legendary have them in stock when we want them if they were a regular production item available from them, which is what this survey is all about unless I have missed something along the way.

Nope, you haven't missed anything. I'm merely pointing out, instead of waiting , your local guy can likely have it done in a few weeks.
I had the seats done in my brown 71 a hundred years ago. Many here saw it on the field. No one could tell it wasn't original and it was done in two weeks.

You would still have to buy the material from SMS if you want identical and then have your guy make them up correctly…...

Not really. A good auto interior shop has suppliers able to match grain and color using better modern materials than the thick original style vinyls. Fortunately in the “D” here there are many local material suppliers. The seats in my Monaco are butter soft, more flexible yet match original.

Last edited:
Not really. A good auto interior shop has suppliers able to match grain and color using better modern materials than the thick original style vinyls. Fortunately in the “D” there are many local material suppliers. The seats in my Monaco are butter soft, more flexible yet match original.

That's exactly why my seats were able to be done so quick.

I called Legendary just a few months ago and asked one of the guys on the customer handling end about their source of materials and they guy I spoke with seemed very knowledgeable about a lot of their products (I was calling on behalf of one of my friends in Finland who bought my 1971 Charget R/T recently and wanted some bucket seat covers that were the houndstooth variety that is the D5 code below).

71_Charger0002.jpg

His vinyl/cloth is the X9 below (body code plate says D5X9)
71_Charger0003.jpg

The guy at Legendary told me they get their material mainly from SMS so as to best match the original vinyls/cloths.

That makes me wonder why they wouldn't source their materials from more local modern suppliers then such as in the Detroit area? I am aware that SMS does reproduce their own vinyls and cloths as needed so maybe SMS will give Legendary discounts that we would not see of course so as to compete with the rest of the industry in volume sales. I guess we would need to be insiders to know what really goes on....

My friend in Finland decided to just buy the material from SMS and have his seats made up in Finland by a very good upholstery guy he has available rather than wait many months for Legendary to start being able to supply those seats again.

I would buy a set as soon as they were available for my 70 Sport Fury.

I won't need them till next spring.

If you have a driving project it is always a benefit to order the covers then you can install them when they come in. Most interior shops want you to drop off your stuff and then wait sometimes months to get them back so you can't drive the car unless you have other seats to install.

To reproduce or re manufacture seat covers a pattern must be generated from existing seat covers so the new seat covers can be properly sewn together so the fit is oem. That is not that easy
Proper color proper grain of the vinyl is necessary. Proper thread etc. Seat inserts when sewn properly are sewn with a multi needle sewing machine so the lines are square. Try that with your single needle household sewing machine. Not all grains of vinyl from way back then are available on a roll so the raw vinyl has to be heat formed from molds into the correct grains. It's complex & it's not Wal-Mart so quit thinking it is!. Made to order only! How many cars were built? Whats the 5% survival number of total cars built ?
$2000 for oem seat covers in 2022 is not expensive.

not sure who you are directing your wal mart comments at.
i for 1 am very aware of the process, materials and costs involved.
as i expect most people wanting seat covers are also.

the Wal Mart comment is directed at those whom are of the belief that companies like Legendary should have whatever is needed in stock on the shelf waiting...and not willing to pay the price $$$$$ for the seat covers with a limited market. Plenty of threads to show the tight wads. I have worked mopar retail and wholesale in the car dealer & restoration world - the Wal Mart comment is a known phenomena in the aftermarket and is discussed in marketing meetings.

No the masses are not aware of what it takes to re-manufacture seat covers. I have had several tours of Legendary a good while ago now - the owner was very gracious and candid about the cost of development. He is not paying minimum wage to the craftspeople who take 40-50 year old seat covers and make proper patterns and sewing the multiple items together so the new seat covers fit as original.

How many 70-71 sport fury's are left? Remember the 5% rule on non muscle cars.
How many are willing to pay $2000.00 for a full set of seat covers?

If you want Legendary to make covers bring some information and data to the table for the discussion.
They used to make a deal with the person supplying the seat covers - provide the seat covers and you paid much less for the covers. It takes a while to develop seat covers. correct color of material, many of the grains have to be reproduced- that requires molds to be manufactured so the pieces can be run and the grain embossed on specialized expensive equipment. Don't forget the thread type/color, piping colors and and sewing the inserts. A 5 or more needle commercial sewing machine let alone the machines that stitches it all together One set gets built from the patterns and the trial fit begins...sometime the patterns need tweaking, more development. Time = money

Last edited:
“Lighten up Francis”
The cost of making seat covers has been beaten to death on this site in previous threads.

I could give 2 $@#% about crotchety old fat men whining about cost, beating it to death; no availability and how they wont make our seat covers.
Apparently you guys do worry about dollars spent rather than the value of your dollars spent.

What's wrong with a little education and reality check?
You get some insight to the business on how to make it happen and all you want to do is complain and tell me to lighten up?
I'm not the one that needs in enlightenment but you do

Your left coast rants just drip of condescension and arrogance son.
You just won an “iggy”!

Back