Voyager 1 and 2 still alive!!!! 38,000 mph!

The original caption of your first pic reads:

"A portion of the dwarf galaxy Wolf--Lundmark--Melotte is shown, as captured by (from left) the Spitzer Space Telescope and the James Webb Space Telescope."

I think both Spitzer and Webb are actually showing a small portion of the blob from your last pic? Tried zooming on that last one but there's no way I'm going to find that specific section.

I could not match the ESO pic with the IR's either.

You are probably right .. the IR's are closeups of the "blob" -- minus the pink dust.

Tomorrow (Wed) , 1 AM EST .. we'll see if they can finally give this rascal its first ride. 90% chance of good weather.

1668521870223.png

piling on .... last minute hydrogren leak -- on the launch tower and not in the rocket -- didn't stop 'em.

map 7A.png
map 7.png
1668600038651.png
map 3.png

Webb still doing its thing. Just out there today, 11/16. L1527 is nearly 500 LY away from us in Taurus.

"The protostar within the dark cloud L1527, shown in this image from NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), is embedded within a cloud of material feeding its growth.

Ejections from the star have cleared out cavities above and below it, whose boundaries glow orange and blue in this infrared view. The upper central region displays bubble-like shapes due to stellar “burps,” or sporadic ejections."

Source: NASA’s Webb Catches Fiery Hourglass as New Star Forms

1668639861877.png

couple days ago on Nov 17th.

aside: saw a piece on CNN about this BUT the were showing the picture in #506 -- that aint a galaxy and the space reporter knew the control room put up the wrong pic. she played it off tho...

anyway, another baby galaxy ... 350 million years AFTER big bang, so 14+ billions years ago.

the big picture, then the baby galaxy in the white square. THe wide-aperture pic is still teeming with galaxies .. in just a handful of arc-degrees of sky. That is fascinating -- thats why the estimate of stars in the visible Universe is a 1 with 24 zeros (one septillion) behind it, or 1 billion billion million (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).

moral of the story... With Webb, what looked like stars, are really baby galaxies they are finding more, earlier galaxies .. sorta blowi a hole in pre-Webb theories on the evolution of the Universe.

Space kids LOVE to be proven wrong .. only way to get smarter.

:)

source: James Webb telescope spots galaxies near the dawn of time, thrilling scientists

1668887213854.png

"baby" galaxy is the orange dot.
1668887290321.png

Last edited:
piling on .... last minute hydrogren leak -- on the launch tower and not in the rocket -- didn't stop 'em.

View attachment 567765View attachment 567764View attachment 567766View attachment 567763
I missed it by 5 minutes here in Daytona, sorry but the presentation was fook'in horrible, with the what they call stand down/hold(?). I was watching several sites but when the NASA site started playing some symphony band show I just shook my head and went back to see the final on these two motorcycle flippers fooling each other. When that was done it had gone off, shame as I wanted to see how it compared to Elons rockets as they look like bottle rockets from where I'm at. Nothing like the Shuttle and the solid rocket boosters.

I missed it by 5 minutes here in Daytona, sorry but the presentation was fook'in horrible, with the what they call stand down/hold(?). I was watching several sites but when the NASA site started playing some symphony band show I just shook my head and went back to see the final on these two motorcycle flippers fooling each other. When that was done it had gone off, shame as I wanted to see how it compared to Elons rockets as they look like bottle rockets from where I'm at. Nothing like the Shuttle and the solid rocket boosters.

Could have turned the volume down.

I was as going to watch it, but then I saw what time it was launching, and it didn't work with my schedule unfortunately. At least they got it off this year, and didn't have to wait any longer.

Could have turned the volume down.

I was as going to watch it, but then I saw what time it was launching, and it didn't work with my schedule unfortunately. At least they got it off this year, and didn't have to wait any longer.
Sound off wouldn't matter as I wanted to just go outside and look up, I should of turned on the TV to channel 13.
I wanted to go to bed too, I knew when the launch window closed and I've watched many other launches via one eye on the TV and a quick dash outside but I just couldn't believe all the 'paff' that was being shown. It was like only a 1 1/2 launch window, come to think of it, I have 3 monitors and I could of thrown a tab over to one of the other monitors but actually the show of these flippers fooling each other was more interesting LOL like get the hip boots out it was that deep. And I started in on watching it a little too early as several other channels just had the camera stream with the view of the rocket sitting there with no commentary at all.

Oh well there will be more... Actually I thought the night would be to cloudy as pretty much the whole day was grim, but I guessed it cleared up after sunset.

Oh and BTW does Elon own YouTube yet? As I got a 1 day commenting ban from what I can see that the only post that was missing was about SCORE International coverage and reference to Starlink and Elon and how crap it was for the Baja 500... This past weekends 1000 race was a joke.

:rofl:

Last edited:
a few more Artemis (Orion) shots. Past couple days.

I've known it since before Apollo. Earth is round (i know some folks dont believe that) and out there in what seems like the middle of nowhere in a

GIGANTIC

Universe -- yet its the only place any human has ever lived or known (i know some folks don't believe that either).

source:
See the First Stunning Photos of the Earth and Moon From Artemis 1
1669149648054.png

1669149675908.png

Last edited:
Artemis from a few days ago, in 80 mile-off-the-surface flyby. Significance?

Best pics we have had in 50 years -- since we had "boots on the ground" so to speak. Better than ground-based pcs, or even some in 1999 taken by Hubble from above the atmosphere?

I think so .. pics 80 miles away vs. 250,000 miles away by definition should be better all things equal. Plus, 20 years of imaging technology improvements in space cameras are in Artemis vs. Hubble.

You can decide. I put these pics side by side, NOT the same feature but similar - a big crater.

1669382298667.png

the other Artemis closeups from last week.
1669381881146.png
1669381907826.png
1669381861624.png
1669381941372.png

sources: Hubble Shoots the Moon, Artemis 1's Orion spacecraft captures stunning photos of the moon during its closest approach

Last edited:
Wonder what kind of images they could get of the Apollo landing sites.

Wonder what kind of images they could get of the Apollo landing sites.
Hubble can (probably has) take a pic of any Apollo site, but apparently can't take a picture of anything left behind at those sites - it doesn't have the resolution.

"Can Hubble see the Apollo landing sites on the Moon? No, Hubble cannot take photos of the Apollo landing sites?

'An object on the Moon 4 meters (4.37 yards) across, viewed from HST, would be about 0.002 arcsec in size. The highest resolution instrument currently on HST is the Advanced Camera for Surveys at 0.03 arcsec'

source: Hubble Resolution Limits

On the other hand, NASA's Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter (LRO - launched in 2009 to orbit the moon and make an atlas, can and did. Example below is the descent stage/launch platform of the LEM from Apollo 11.

It did same thing for other Apollo sites. It got Apollo 17 descent stage AND the lunar rover left behind

sources: Lunar orbiter spots Apollo landing sites, Gallery: Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
map 3AF.png
1669565574651.png
1669565458111.png

We can rule out JWST .. its pointed away from Earth/Moon on purpose to avoid heat of Sun on the "cold side" of the machine. So it'll never get a pic of Sun, Mercury, Venus, or Earth/Moon.

Going back to #517

My ham-handed (using Powerpoint and Paint) to try to compare Hubble shot of moon to map of Apollo sites "overlay" ON TO the Hubble shot.

Blue arrow is 'Tycho" crater on both pics. I am not skilled enough, however, to make the Hubble shot "line up" exactly with the LRO shot that I made transparent in a "poor man's" photoshop. So my overlay is off kilter a bit.

The point.

Hubble took a similarly detailed pic as LRO -- the major features (the various "mares", the craters, etc.,) show up in both pics. We try to enlarge Hubble, you can't see the space junk because we don't have the resolution with Hubble.

You also can't see the space junk on LRO .. unless you "enlarge" it (or they use a different "focus" on the LRO NOT possible with Hubble) and you have the pixelization to see man-made stuff left on the surface.

sources: Gallery: Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. Moon

1669646063837.png

Right LRO pic, made more transparent, and "laid over" the left pic just to map the sites ON the Hubble pic. Hubble pic is good -- but thats kinda best if can do.

1669646472043.png

Last edited:
Back