Voyager 1 and 2 still alive!!!! 38,000 mph!

There for, he has traveled to the future and has no way of returning.

Yes, in effect. Brother 1 has NOT aged the way his twin has. The Twin Paradox, or time dilation.

large

Brother 2 that stayed on Earth, along WITH the Earth and everything on it, has moved into the future, RELATIVE to Brother 1.

Brother 2 and Brother 1 will NOT feel any different as the time WHERE THEY ARE passes. 1-2 years will pass for Brother 1 normally, just like 60 years will pass on Earth for BRother 2 normally.

Its in the equations. We cannot "prove it" with a human because we cannot achieve 'relativistic" (near light) speeds.

The USS Enterprise can't go light speed either (else it becomes infinitely massive). "Warp drive" folds space, REDUCING the distance between any two points IN space, EFFECTIVELY simulating FASTER THAN LIGHT travel (e.g, Warp 9 is EQUIVALENT to 1,500X the speed of light.) So they don't have this time dilation problem when they come back to Earth.

alcubierre-warp-drive-overview.jpg

I asked an astronomer once: How does a cell in Brother 1's body (the one in the rocket) KNOW NOT to turn his hair gray or wriinkle his skin? In other words, how does his BODY know its being accelerated, relative to WHERE it was before it took off, and THEREFORE, it WONT age as fast?

Her answer was UN-satisfying. She just parroted the formulas I already know that indicate TIME has to pass more slowly for Brother 1.

I argued but "cells arent intelligent you crazy b- .. lady!" She basically said "Oh yeah, and you're not that smart either you ignorant mothe- .. man"!

So i didnt talk to her anymore :)

Now this young lady is pretty smart. Hard concept, easily explained without the fancy math.

Last edited:
I like Michio Kaku. He's good at this craft, and he has humility.

And you're right. we are chemical electical machines. computers are mechanical electrical machines. Common theme is obvious so lotta things can happen WITHOUT us becoming "machines"

Thanks for posting that. Kaku talked about a lotta cool stuff in this piece.

Back to post #61, there are time dilation calcuators you can have some fun with. Explain the film Interstellar to your friends who care about this stuff. :)

source: Special relativity (time dilation) Calculator

00-4-0.jpg

An example I did is above. The time dilation formula is shown there for the curious.

You just need to know and enter a couple things. there are about 32 MILLION seconds in a year. The speed of light is about 300,000 kilometers per second.

So, if Brother 1 took off in his fancy rocket and accelerated to 299,700 km/s (99.96% the speed of light), elapsed time on Earth for Brother 2 is about 1.3 BILLION seconds.

Divide 1.3B seconds by 32M seconds, and you get almost 41 years.

Brother 1, accelerated to ALMOST the speed of light, for a year long round trip FROM Earth, will come back and find his twin brother is 62 years old, while he is 22 years old.

He returns to Earth to find it 41 years into the future HE left only one year (to HIM) earlier. Brother 1 is a time traveler RELATIVE to Brother 2.

If you play with the calculator, or if you kinda look at the equation and know it by the way its structured, the time dilation is greatest to CLOSER you get to light speed.

Go 99.9995% light speed (299,791 km/s), and 320 years will pass on the Earth. Brother 1 leaves tomorrow, returns in Feb 2018, and its the year 2338 AD here.

Last edited:
Back to post #61, there are time dilation calcuators you can have some fun with. Explain the film Interstellar to your friends who care about this stuff. :)

source: Special relativity (time dilation) Calculator

View attachment 116161

An example I did is above. The time dilation formula is shown there for the curious.

You just need to know and enter a couple things. there are about 32 MILLION seconds in a year. The speed of light is about 300,000 kilometers per second.

So, if Brother 1 took off in his fancy rocket and accelerated to 299,700 km/s (99.96% the speed of light), elapsed time on Earth for Brother 2 is about 1.3 BILLION seconds.

Divide 1.3B seconds by 32M seconds, and you get almost 41 years.

Brother 1, accelerated to ALMOST the speed of light, for a year long round trip FROM Earth, will come back and find his twin brother is 62 years old, while he is 22 years old.

He returns to Earth to find it 41 years into the future HE left only one year (to HIM) earlier. Brother 1 is a time traveler RELATIVE to Brother 2.

If you play with the calculator, or if you kinda look at the equation and know it by the way its structured, the time dilation is greatest to CLOSER you get to light speed.

Go 99.9995% light speed (299,791 km/s), and 320 years will pass on the Earth. Brother 1 leaves tomorrow, returns in Feb 2018, and its the year 2338 AD here.

Thanks a lot. . . Now I have a migraine. . .

heres the jokes science nerds like me like. our favorite cat is back too.

keep the groaning to a minimum. it'll hurt our feelings :)

1. I’m reading a great book on anti-gravity. I can’t put it down.

2. I have a new theory on inertia but it doesn’t seem to be gaining momentum.

3. Why can’t atheists solve exponential equations? Because they don’t believe in higher powers.

4. Schrodinger’s cat walks into a bar. And doesn’t.

5. Do you know the name Pavlov? It rings a bell.

6. A group of protesters in front of a physics lab:
“What do we want?”.
“Time travel”
"When do we want it?”.
“Irrelevant.”

7. What does a subatomic duck say? Quark!

8. A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a beer. Bartender replies “For you, no charge”.

9. Two atoms are walking along. One of them says:
“Oh, no, I think I lost an electron.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, I’m positive.”

10. An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.

I'll take the run to Saturn any planet with rings around it has got to have a couple of decent watering holes there.

Thanks a lot. . . Now I have a migraine. . .

Thanks for nothing. I now have no interest in time travel. :stop:

guys (anyone interested), when i got home i could look for another set of visual aids if you wanted to soak on these things. I found these things.

First vid is 7 minutes about relativity theories. Second one is 15 minutes about "qauntum theory" from a physicist who teaches it to 7-11 yr olds so he has to use plain words for complex topics. The third one, 25 minutes, is from the folks who made the relativity video.

I suggest you view these when you can devote a little quiet time to reflect on this stuff. I also suggest you view them in the order below.

This stuff is confusing. I understand 25% on a deep level (I cannot do all the math). I understand 99% of it on a conversational level -- now that's my only goal. Remember I liked girls and cars much better in my formative years.:).

So, like the like the British lady narrating the first one, maybe you play it twice if some part doesnt resonate the first time. Guarantee you'll have to do it for the third one because of the necessary jargon in quantum theory just to set the context.

AND, I guarantee you'll "get it" .. "conversationally" at least. Then IF you wanna know more, you can do that too. Its fascinating stuff :)

Last, maybe this advice will help before you watch these vids.

1. The key to relativity theories is that word itself. Something doing something "relative" (ie., compared to) to some other thing. Speed, distance, direction, acceleration, etc. And it generally applies to BIG things .. stuff we can see. Planets going around the sun, the spacestation going around the earth, Voyagers trip to the gas giants, a race car's behaviour on a banked track, trajectory of a thrown baseball, etc.

2. Quatum theory is strange and different and you need it to describe SMALL things -- the "Double Slit" realm. We can now SEE atoms (they look like fuzzy spheres of light) but can't see ANYTHING smaller .. we can't see a proton, neutron, or electron. Let alone the particles THEY are made of and those crazy names (quarks, leptons, gluons, bosons, etc.).​

Last one for me. 7 of 9 is waiting for me back at PD-4501 :)

IF you DON'T wanna get into all this stuff in this video is (some things you will surely recognize though), this video goes from the SMALLEST to the LARGEST things we KNOW of/THINK we know of in THIS Universe.

Recently produced so its timely, 13 minutes long, no narration, just images for which you gotta read the captions.

The cool thing, or the scary thing depending on your view, we are STILL left with the questions.

On the small side.. what's a "string" made of? What's that thing (the thing that makes up a string) made of?

On the big side, the Hercules Corona Borealis is 10 BILLION light-years across, and its IN the "observable" Universe (93 BILLION light-years across). BTW, 93 BILLION light-years is 6 x 10^23rd power MILES!

~600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles (600 sextillion miles)
And the rest of THIS universe (we'll never see it because the LIGHT from it will NEVER get here) may be 5X that big.

And supposedly there are an INFINITE number of universes. Where is all that stuff? What's outside of ALL THAT STUFF.
Who knows (or maybe who cares .. these numbers are so big they don't mean anything?). Don't think we ever will. Fun to speculate though :)

Last edited:
00-3-2.jpg

Big NASA annoucement today.
COURTESY: AOL.

Seven Earth-sized planets have been discovered orbiting a nearby star, three of which appear to be warm enough to sustain life, according to astronomers from NASA and the European Southern Observatory.

The newly discovered exoplanets are 40 light-years away and some may contain liquid water.

A Belgian-led team made the discovery using both space- and ground-based telescopes, spotting the planets as they passed in front of the red dwarf star known as TRAPPIST-1.

"This discovery gives us a hint that finding a second earth is not a matter of if but when," said Thomas Zurbuchen, Assoc. Admin., Science Mission Director at NASA.

All around a red dwarf (a type of star smaller/cooler than our Sun), and 4 of 7 planets in the "Goldilocks Zone" (orbiting at a distance where water could exist on the surface as a liquid).

No radio signals coming from it .. guess nobodies home OR they just started broadcasting less than 40 years ago and signal is not here yet :)

~ 3,500 planets found. Few hundred million left to discover in THIS quadrant of Milky Way, let alone the rest of the galaxy. Maybe "somebody" is out there.

View attachment 116624
Big NASA annoucement today.
COURTESY: AOL.

Seven Earth-sized planets have been discovered orbiting a nearby star, three of which appear to be warm enough to sustain life, according to astronomers from NASA and the European Southern Observatory.

The newly discovered exoplanets are 40 light-years away and some may contain liquid water.

A Belgian-led team made the discovery using both space- and ground-based telescopes, spotting the planets as they passed in front of the red dwarf star known as TRAPPIST-1.

"This discovery gives us a hint that finding a second earth is not a matter of if but when," said Thomas Zurbuchen, Assoc. Admin., Science Mission Director at NASA.

All around a red dwarf (a type of star smaller/cooler than our Sun), and 4 of 7 planets in the "Goldilocks Zone" (orbiting at a distance where water could exist on the surface as a liquid).

No radio signals coming from it .. guess nobodies home OR they just started broadcasting less than 40 years ago and signal is not here yet :)

~ 3,500 planets found. Few hundred million left to discover in THIS quadrant of Milky Way, let alone the rest of the galaxy. Maybe "somebody" is out there.

39 light years away...just around the corner...would only take approximately 700000 years to get there with our current technology Im not gonna hold my breath lol. It's interesting how the rhetoric has gone from If to When we discover life exoplanetary...

soon radical islamists will complain there to far away and we should bring them closer so they can complain their to close.....

Back