WANTED Wanted backup light vacuum parking brake release ‘67 Imperial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Big_John.
I really appreciate it.
So do I!:thumbsup:
Actually the one in my silver car doesn’t work because the piece that engages the lever inside the column has detached itself so my column has to come out but at least I know my switch is good:lol:.
I’ll add a relay at that time.

I didn't have a '67 FSM, so I'm assuming that a '66 (downloaded one) is wired about the same and the two wires going to the switch are the same color.

So... That means a little detective work has to be done on the car that I can't do from here.

There are 2 wires going to the switch. One is for the lights and one is the power for those lights. You will need to figure out which one is the power using a test light or a meter. This probably will only be powered when the ignition is on.

When you find that, label that wire "Feed/Switch 1" and the other wire "lights/switch 2"

When you have the relay, you'll see the contacts are labeled. Here's a crappy pic.

th?id=OIP.jpg

This is how it will be hooked up. The "lights/switch2" wire is cut and the output to the lights connects to #87 and the wire from the switch connects to #86. The "feed/switch1" wire is connected to terminal #30 and then on to the switch.
#85 connects to a good ground.

Not shown but you should add an inline fuse from terminal #30 to the lights. I'm not sure of how many bulbs are at the back of an Imperial, but a 20 amp fuse will keep everything from burning down.

Relay.jpg

You can use female spade connectors and then some heat shrink tubing to insulate it or order some of these: https://smile.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED...1&keywords=relay+socket&qid=1615903913&sr=8-3 or these https://smile.amazon.com/Relay-Conn...1&keywords=relay+socket&qid=1615903987&sr=8-4 for a neater install.

Relay 101 edumacation...

#30 is the terminal that you bring your main power into.

#85 and #86 are the terminals you use to make the relay work. These can be reversed, but one will go to ground and the other to your switch.

#87A is connected to power when the relay is not energized

#87 is connected to power when the relay is energized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back