Not open for further replies.
Bob's Classic Auto Glass
800-624-2130
541-925-3260
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://bobsclassicautoglass.com

He had the glass for my 62 Dodge Dart
I already have the new glass from another vendor but I'll email him asking about the gasket. But I don't have high hopes as every company that seems to produce these has already told me to pound sand.

The good news is I don't NEED to replace the windshield, it's not actually cracked but just incredibly scratched up. Dangerous to drive facing into the sun but otherwise tolerable. I was told the existing gasket was "glued" and thus it would be destroyed in the process of removing the old windshield, hence the need for a new gasket. I suppose I have no choice now but to attempt to polish the scratches out with cerium oxide and a rotary. Probably will be the least fun 50 hours I'll ever spend. I've done this before to polish out haze and acid rain from other glass and boy was it a supernatural pain in the ***. Hopefully this new 3" rotary I just spent $150 on makes it quicker.

What do people do in these situations where they MUST replace the glass with no gasket? Is it possible just to lay the glass on the pinch welds using a modern sealer or a rope sealer? Can a universal locking gasket be somehow molded around the corners? I can't believe I'm the first person ever in this situation.

I already have the new glass from another vendor but I'll email him asking about the gasket. But I don't have high hopes as every company that seems to produce these has already told me to pound sand.

The good news is I don't NEED to replace the windshield, it's not actually cracked but just incredibly scratched up. Dangerous to drive facing into the sun but otherwise tolerable. I was told the existing gasket was "glued" and thus it would be destroyed in the process of removing the old windshield, hence the need for a new gasket. I suppose I have no choice now but to attempt to polish the scratches out with cerium oxide and a rotary. Probably will be the least fun 50 hours I'll ever spend. I've done this before to polish out haze and acid rain from other glass and boy was it a supernatural pain in the ***. Hopefully this new 3" rotary I just spent $150 on makes it quicker.

What do people do in these situations where they MUST replace the glass with no gasket? Is it possible just to lay the glass on the pinch welds using a modern sealer or a rope sealer? Can a universal locking gasket be somehow molded around the corners? I can't believe I'm the first person ever in this situation.
Murray park should be able to help with a gasket, I just asked him. Message me for his contact info.

As far as I know gasket is NOT available.
There were some LOW quality repops awhile back.
You had to modify them to work and they were a waste of time and money.
They are not glued in and need the gasket to seal.
I'm not certain,but I believe all the 60-64 gaskets are the same for all models? Your best option is a good used one.
If so I have one out of a 61 Chrysler that will work.
I also have 3 63 300 Chrysler parts cars if you need anything else?

I'm not certain,but I believe all the 60-64 gaskets are the same for all models? Your best option is a good used one.
I've also seen that written in one post, but I was then told over the phone by one of the well-known repop shops that this wasn't the case. Do your 63 vert parts cars have intact gaskets that could be removed or are their windshields already out? If the latter, is there a chance you could test-fit the 61 gasket?

As far as I know gasket is NOT available.
There were some LOW quality repops awhile back.
You had to modify them to work and they were a waste of time and money.
They are not glued in and need the gasket to seal.
If so I have one out of a 61 Chrysler that will work.
I also have 3 63 300 Chrysler parts cars if you need anything else?
OK, I looked through some online parts manuals (thank god for jholst.net Chrysler 300 Resources Page)... appears the early 60s windshield gaskets are common through "like" chrysler models, that is 4-doors vs coupes/verts. Is your 61 gasket out of a coupe/vert?

It’s out of a 4dr post 61 Newport. It is out already.

The 63 parts cars all have the windshields still in,
A coupe and 2 4drhtps

OK then, $1000 bounty on this gasket in good condition (original gasket, none of the repros that allegedly were made for a short time and didn't really fit). I have absolutely no place to store an entire parts car. Polishing the glass won't work because it's just as pitted and scratched on the INSIDE (how the f does that happen???), so I've got my back to the wall unless I want to never ever drive this car into the setting sun again, which certainly limits my choice of car shows. According to my reading of parts manuals, it is Mopar part #1882146 and is shared between all 2-door coupe and convertible Chryslers (not Dodge/Plymouth/Imperial) between 1960-1946. There are some isolated cases of other cars in that time period that use the gasket (apparently 1960 everything Mopar? But this seems hard to believe as starting in 1961 the 2-doors are called out separately, but models like the Valiant seem identical from 60-62... I'd greatly prefer something out of a very similar car.) This can all be checked from jholst.net Chrysler 300 Resources Page, looking at the Body parts manuals, section 23-66-235.

Last edited:
OK then, $1000 bounty on this gasket in good condition (original gasket, none of the repros that allegedly were made for a short time and didn't really fit). I have absolutely no place to store an entire parts car. Polishing the glass won't work because it's just as pitted and scratched on the INSIDE (how the f does that happen???), so I've got my back to the wall unless I want to never ever drive this car into the setting sun again, which certainly limits my choice of car shows. According to my reading of parts manuals, it is Mopar part #1882146 and is shared between all 2-door coupe and convertible Chryslers (not Dodge/Plymouth/Imperial) between 1960-1946. There are some isolated cases of other cars in that time period that use the gasket (apparently 1960 everything Mopar? But this seems hard to believe as starting in 1961 the 2-doors are called out separately, but models like the Valiant seem identical from 60-62... I'd greatly prefer something out of a very similar car.) This can all be checked from jholst.net Chrysler 300 Resources Page, looking at the Body parts manuals, section 23-66-235.
Did you call Murray Park? I have one from a ‘66 Imp convertible.

I re read your original post.
I suspect your glass guy just told you it was glued in.
Most likely did not want to do the job?
Not so easy to reuse old gasket.
It's a lot of dirty work to clean up original gasket.
But they do clean up well.
Question? Is the original gasket cracked or brittle?
If not I would say it's reusable.
Did your glass guy remove trim and probe to see that it is glued in?
Again if you have to have a 63 300 conv only gasket big M auto has at least 2 63 Chrysler conv parts cars.
Williams California,John Big M, 530 473 2225
Leave message. He's pretty busy. He will return call.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I re read your original post.
I suspect your glass guy just told you it was glued in.
Most likely did not want to do the job?
Not so easy to reuse old gasket.
It's a lot of dirty work to clean up original gasket.
But they do clean up well.
Question? Is the original gasket cracked or brittle?
If not I would say it's reusable.
Did your glass guy remove trim and probe to see that it is glued in?
Again if you have to have a 63 300 conv only gasket big M auto has at least 2 63 Chrysler conv parts cars.
Williams California,John Big M, 530 473 2225
Leave message. He's pretty busy. He will return call.

Thanks for the info again. There is another wrinkle though... I talked with my installer. Says the old windshield was "glued into the gasket" and that's why the old gasket has to be destroyed. The issue is that he is unwilling to use a gasket that came off of a parts car, due to age... simply too much of a risk. So I am scrapping that plan for now. I told him I've struck out looking for a repro but he has his own connections and is calling around. Says it's possible if one can't be found that a universal gasket can be worked around the corners, but that's Plan B. Ordinarily I'd look for another installer for a second opinion but this guy has done other glass for me and improvised in very difficult circumstances so I'm going to see where this goes. (No wonder so many people just stick to popular muscle cars. This 300 has been 10x the pain of anything else I own. But it does get 10x the attention.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back