Was there a 26" radiator support ever?

I have a '68 parts book but Alchemi just confirmed what I figured I would find.

Heres my 68 Fury with 383-2 & factory ac, 26" with shroud and clutch fan
View attachment 133084
That does not look factory to me...
Area 1 - The notch is not extending all the way to the right
Area 2 - Note the color difference (vertical line)
Area 3 - looks like a welding seam, also, does radiator corner just hang in that area?
Maybe someone just opened up the support to accept a 26" radiator? Or that`s the way they did it at factory...
I just checked the parts catalog and it does show the 26" support part number for 68 Fury.
upload_2017-7-13_9-50-59.png

Last edited:
The 68 book also lists two yokes, same part numbers as the 67. Can anyone verify the part number of their yoke on a 68 26"? I assume it's stamped somewhere but don't know where.

68 radiator yoke.JPG

Area 3 - looks like a welding seam, also, does radiator corner just hang in that area?
Maybe someone just opened up the support to accept a 26" radiator? Or that`s the way they did it at factory...
I just checked the parts catalog and it does show the 26" support part number for 68 Fury.
View attachment 133110
The color difference was likely due to the blackout treatment.

The 68 book also lists two yokes, same part numbers as the 67. Can anyone verify the part number of their yoke on a 68 26"? I assume it's stamped somewhere but don't know where.

View attachment 133197
I've never seen a part number on any stamped sheetmetal body panels.

I was referring to the 67 up, not pre 67.I have four 67-68 C bodies, all factory A/C, all 26 inch openings. My two 66 models I agree do not have the same opening.

Will post picture of my 68, with 26-inch std (Newport Custom with A/C and 383).

I would be really good to see the pictures, especially passenger side lower radiator corner in relation to the opening.

View attachment 133110
It was very bad light with a poor phone camera, the outside of my car had a spray over in the 80's (factory colour), but they didn't touch the bay. I still have the build number in paint pen/chalk on the bonnet catch support and if you saw the car in person, you would have no doubt it was original
I have the build sheet - its a factory 26"

Last edited:
It was very bad light with a poor phone camera, the outside of my car had a spray over in the 80's (factory colour), but they didn't touch the bay. I still have the build number in paint pen/chalk on the bonnet catch support and if you saw the car in person, you would have no doubt it was original
I have the build sheet - its a factory 26"
Thank you for explanation. Now I have a plan. Seems pretty easy to modify the 22 into 26.

I have a spare 22" support. I will keep original anyway.

I can confirm that, for 1966 Chryslers at least, there were different rad supports for 22" and 26" rads. Also, the HD cooling system which got you the 26" rad was separate from the A/C, but often ordered together.

Non-AC car with standard cooling system got a 22" rad without fan shroud.
AC car with standard cooling system got a 22" rad with 2-piece metal fan shroud.
Car with HD cooling system got 26" rad with a different rad support and 1-piece plastic fan shroud.

I've had two 1966 Chrysler parts cars with factory AC, one with HD cooling and one without. I have seen all of the above three combinations firsthand.

The 22" rad and 26" rad have different overall widths and the rads are not interchangeable between them without modification. I tried to fit a 22" rad up to the 26" support once to check this. Not even close.

I can confirm that, for 1966 Chryslers at least, there were different rad supports for 22" and 26" rads. Also, the HD cooling system which got you the 26" rad was separate from the A/C, but often ordered together.

Non-AC car with standard cooling system got a 22" rad without fan shroud.
AC car with standard cooling system got a 22" rad with 2-piece metal fan shroud.
Car with HD cooling system got 26" rad with a different rad support and 1-piece plastic fan shroud.

I've had two 1966 Chrysler parts cars with factory AC, one with HD cooling and one without. I have seen all of the above three combinations firsthand.

The 22" rad and 26" rad have different overall widths and the rads are not interchangeable between them without modification. I tried to fit a 22" rad up to the 26" support once to check this. Not even close.

HEY! Sorry, late to the party.

So, I have a Non-A/C 66' that I'm upgrading and driving as I go.

I have a parts donor 66, with A/C (it's why i bought the car for the AC dash to swap into my non-A/C car.

I needed a rebuilt Radiator. So I pulled the one from the A/C car and had it redone.

Figuring "I'll upgrade now and then have it ready when i swap in the vintage air set up."

I JUST today (the day before doing the job) noticed a post about 66' being a year when the larger A/C radiator support is different for the HD set up (Which is the Rad i have now restored with the plastic shroud.)

Can I modify what needs done on a 22" Rad support, to accept the 26" Radiator with or without the shroud?

It's factory year same year set up, but before i tear anything down, I'm very interested

Thank you!!!

This is what a 26" radiator looks like in a 22" opening. Battery tray forces the extra to the passenger side. And no, I didn't do this, it's how I got the car.

IMG_20180412_125812.jpg

IMG_20180412_141006.jpg

Back