Washer motor problem

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello again folks,

I'm trying to restore the windshield washer on the '65 NYer. I bought a pump from Classic Industries, but it sounded loud and simply would not pump enough water to hit the windshield. They were nice enough to send me another unit free of charge, but unfortunately it's exactly like the first unit, loud and weak.

I cleaned out the jets, they are perfectly open and functional; all tubing is new and is sized correctly. The pumps simply do not have enough *** on them. Any other stock-looking pumps out there? Or should I just get something that will work and not worry about it looking stock?

As always, thanks for any help,

Rich in Tampa

113_0672.JPG

Good Evening
The stock pumps work as they should. The PROBLEM is finding a STOCK pump. Across the pond knock-offs are not built like the originals.
If you want to replace the whole assembly (washer bottle and pump) I believe that '67 on up has what you are looking for.
Another work-around is to mount the a later style pump in your bottle. I attempted this in the '65 but the plastic was to brittle.
If you still have the original pump, you can take off the cover and see if the armature is just 'frozen' of if the plastic is cracked/broken. If its just the armature then a drop or two of some LIGHT machine oil will do the trick. Gently rock it (armature) back-n-forth until it is free. If that is not the issue, then you looking for a NOS or good used model.
Hope this nelps
Omni

Thanks Omni. Looks like you live somewhere near my hometown of Columbus.

Up I 75 to Toledo turn west go to Wauseon. The center of the universe.

Omni

OK OMNI, I see where you are. The snow belt! I don't miss that one little bit. 75 and sunny here today and all week until May!

The great thing about winter is that spring follows.
Personally, I haven't cared for snow since the 'Blizzard of '78'.
Omni

Richsrd, I rebuilt the washer pump on the 66 300. Took it all apart, cleaned everything and been fine since 2013.
Unlike today's "just replace it" car parts, our old car's parts can be rebuilt if feasable.
The washer pump is one of them lol!
Hope this helps.
20210909_175946_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Barge. the old pump did run, but the plastic nipples were broken off.

What's the point when a new direct replacement costs less than 20 bucks. There's a time to be frugal and a time to be sensible. :poke:
You are right but with 2 noisy new pumps in a row if it were me I would get creative. Lol

It's not a good idea to let the fluid freeze inside the pump. Use the purple stuff that goes to -30F. Here in Minnesota the blue stuff freezes and nothing comes out when you need to clean the road crud off your windshield. Only solution is to park in a heated garage overnight and run the pump till empty in the morning.

Try Vansauto.com
They have washer bottles and pumps. $15.00 for the 67-68 pump.
Also 65-66 bottles and 67-68 bottles. Plus a lot more. I didn't see the 65-66 pump though. Conversion to the 67 is trivial and more likely to be available long term. That pump was used through 1992.

Back