Welp, I finally did it!

Some more pictures for you guys. Got the engone completely torn down. From inspection I will need new valves both intake and exhaust, as they were too worn to reuse, valve guides, and seals. Ill be replacing the valve seats with the "unleaded" ones, water pump, oil pump and pick up, 264 cam, plugs wires, timing set, springs, keepers, retainers, all main seals, bearings, piston rings and i think that about it off the top of my head. Enjoy the photos!

View attachment 390242

View attachment 390243

View attachment 390244

View attachment 390245

View attachment 390246

View attachment 390247

View attachment 390248

View attachment 390249

View attachment 390250

You probably know this, but its worth mentioning anyway. You should not lay the crank down. It should be stored standing up or hanging somewhere vertically. If left laying down too long, it will bend.

You probably know this, but its worth mentioning anyway. You should not lay the crank down. It should be stored standing up or hanging somewhere vertically. If left laying down too long, it will bend.
Thank you for this, I didnt realize that would happen!

So a little update for you all. I was finally able yo start getting the ole girl back together. I installed the rear main seal and the crankshaft along with the bearings. Also replaced the oil gallery plugs and get the new freez plugs in

20201005_170712.jpg

Just noticed this thread. Thanks for sharing. I did a stock rebuild of the 318 in my Polara in 2001 so this brings back good memories. :thumbsup:

Just noticed this thread. Thanks for sharing. I did a stock rebuild of the 318 in my Polara in 2001 so this brings back good memories. :thumbsup:
Yeah so far so good! I have a quick question! For the timing chain cover oil seal, how the hell doe it go in. Obviously it needs to go in from the back side but how is the seal oriented? Pictures for reference.

20201024_152011.jpg

20201024_152006.jpg

Yeah so far so good! I have a quick question! For the timing chain cover oil seal, how the hell doe it go in. Obviously it needs to go in from the back side but how is the seal oriented? Pictures for reference.

View attachment 410839

View attachment 410841
The first or top photo is correct. The lip of the seal should always go towards what you are sealing. The second smaller lip is basically to keep dirt out.

View attachment 410839

View attachment 410841
What rkrocken said, although it was 18 years ago the first and only time I did an assembly.

This from my "bible" How to Rebuild Small Block Mopar Engines by Don Taylor and Larry Hofer. "Apply a thin coat of silicone sealer to the outside edge of the new seal. With the cover face down, place the seal into the bore with its lip up and the flat surface of the seal toward the front of the cover. Use a wood or leather mallet to tap the seal into place. Be careful here it is easy to bend the edge. The old seal can be laid over the new one and used as an installer. Better yet an old hockey puck makes an excellent seal installer. Be sure the seal bottoms in its bore."

If like myself you don't have much experience with these assemblies I'd highly recommend the book.

What rkrocken said, although it was 18 years ago the first and only time I did an assembly.

This from my "bible" How to Rebuild Small Block Mopar Engines by Don Taylor and Larry Hofer. "Apply a thin coat of silicone sealer to the outside edge of the new seal. With the cover face down, place the seal into the bore with its lip up and the flat surface of the seal toward the front of the cover. Use a wood or leather mallet to tap the seal into place. Be careful here it is easy to bend the edge. The old seal can be laid over the new one and used as an installer. Better yet an old hockey puck makes an excellent seal installer. Be sure the seal bottoms in its bore."

If like myself you don't have much experience with these assemblies I'd highly recommend the book.
Good point. Take care when installing the seal. A proper seal driver tool works best but you can improvise if your careful. Just make sure you don’t cock the seal while installing and take your time doing it. It’s not difficult but something you need to be aware of. I also like to put a bit of lubricant around the seal after the installation just to help when pushing the seal over the crank.

Thank you all so much for the replies! I have a friend with a press that I can use so I scored with install!

Hey guys hope all is well! The engine is really starting to come together and should have it back in this weekend! However I have hit a couple of snags. One of them being the new water pump hole where one of the fittings go. The fitting I took from my original is too small. Does any one know where I could get one of of I can reduce the hole with a fitting from a hardware store? Also I can't figure out the timing for the cam i installed the crank found TDC, Installed the cam, lined the dots up on the timing chain and sprocket set, Crank dot was at 12 o'clock and cam dot was at 6 o'clock. Gary Pavlovich told me to rotate crank until both dots were at 12 o'clock, number 1 was at TDC and the rotor was pointing at number 1 cylinder. Ive tried to get the rotor to point to number 1 and its not happening while keeping the dots at 12 o'clock. Number one is at TDC but I have no idea if its on the compression or exhaust stroke. Anyhow on getting this figured out would be awesome! Thank you!

20201105_115111.jpg

20201105_113323.jpg

@Rooster34
Just saw this thread. Looked great. Did you finish the rebuild? It was good inspiration. I have a 318 and will be tearing into it also later this summer.

@Rooster34
Just saw this thread. Looked great. Did you finish the rebuild? It was good inspiration. I have a 318 and will be tearing into it also later this summer.
I love it I kept the stock 2 bbl intake and slapped a holley 500 2bbl. Had to tweak the carb a bit but she is good if you need any help let me know! I also had the poly head milled to achieve 10:1 compression

Thanks! I will define]ately reach out when the time comes. You are up in Maine? What part? I live in MA and am in Portland occasionally for work…..and York for the beaches. LOL

Make sure you seal all the freeze plugs and the cam/Welch plug also all the bottom exhaust/header bolts should be sealed, I did the top ones as well. I made the mistake on not sealing the bottom header bolts and the cam/Welch plug and it sucked. It was my first build so definitely a learning curve.

20210618_194530.jpg

20210629_200117.jpg

Back