What 300 do you prefer...1969, 1970 or 1971?

Now that I've looked at these again, I still go with the '70, even on the 300. I prefer the full-length tail lights: have liked those since I first laid eyes on a '66 T-Bird.

The Gremlin in the background is my son's. It's powered by a built AMC 401 - he and I did the assembly in my garage.

When it comes to Newports, I prefer the '70 Newport grille, even though I own a '71.

I like the '70 300 tail lights, but I do think they look a little bare. The '71 300 tail lights are still full width, but a little more stylish. Kind of the best of both worlds, to me anyway.

I can say that having owned the car from 20 y/o to 50 y/o they are way better when I was 20. New covers and foam helped some but a E body is a younger mans car for sure.

Yep, those musclecar guys just have no idea why we like C-bodies, and they never bother to learn why.
Why anyone would want a door with painted metal at the top (like most A's and B's) or the poorly-angled seats they all seem to have is way beyond me. Mere pictures of those seats are enough to make my body ache.

69 First
70 Second
71 Third
I dont get too caught up in the minute details cause to me the 70 and 71 may as well be twins...except for small details. The 69 has the most noticable differences.

I look at each year as a refinement of the previous one. I will say I have owned two 69's and they were great cars.

I like the 69 the best....

DSC03028.JPG

Those wheels really pop on that car, what profile are the tires?
Sorry... Missed this the first time around.

235/60 on the front and 275/60 on the rear. The tires were on the car when I bought it. If I were to buy tires for it, I'd might stay with the 275/60 rear, but do something taller on the front. The other thought is to go to a taller 255/70 front and rear. That would be an inch narrower tread width for the rear, but an inch taller. The 7" wide wheels are a little narrow for the 275/60 so the 255/70 might make more sense.

I prefer the 69 model. (obviously). The first year for a new style is usually the freshest, then it's just change for the sake of change.
I'm also not a big fan of the hoop bumper but the 69 pulls it off nicely with the grille.
Some of my favorite features of the 69 are the interior, the rear taillights, the "three hundred" call out letters on the 1/4's, and then There's that sexy grille.

View attachment 64077

View attachment 64078
I'm with ya....

For me, the front end rates best to worst, 69, 70, 71 and the back end is the opposite. 71, 70, 69.

I currently own a 70....but I prefer the 69 . Sixty nines had better quality trim.....stainless wheel openings and sill mouldings, nicer grilles and no isolated suspension . I prefer 4 door hardtops over 2 door hardtops.....looks are more balanced. Seventy ones are in third place for me but I wouldn't kick one out of my garage.

I currently own a 70....but I prefer the 69 . Sixty nines had better quality trim.....stainless wheel openings and sill mouldings, nicer grilles and no isolated suspension . I prefer 4 door hardtops over 2 door hardtops.....looks are more balanced. Seventy ones are in third place for me but I wouldn't kick one out of my garage.
I've never really cared for the long body trim that often appears on the '69s, the thing that is on the sides of the car. That became an option in '70, therefore, I like the '70 body sides better.

Back