What Carb for my 78 C-Body?

NCGNETO

Reaction score
I have a 78 Newport that I plan on Stroking later this year if business stays good. I was looking at some Edelbrock Carbs but have no idea. I was thinking a 600cfm. What would I do with the electronic stuff on the side of the intake after I do a different carb?

Man, this topic will really have all the Einsteins chiming in and arguing with each other.

As far as this Einstein, this is what I think is the best bang for the buck. It ain't stroked yet and until you do a complete rebuild anything else is wasting time, money, and effort ( my 2¢ only - you get what you pay for as far as my advice).

Replace the carb (keep the manifold) with a Holley or Edelbrock 750. I like Holley because I know them inside and out. Otherwise pick your choice.

Replace the garbage distributor with an electronic setup. It comes complete and with easy instructions.

Take the computr and beat it with a sledge hammer until you feel better.

Replace the air cleaner unit with a free flow unit. 14 X 3 fits nicely.

remove the charcoal canister. Leave line from gas tank unplugged or get a vented gas cap.

remove air pump divertor valve

remove vacuum amplifier

remove vacuum reservoir

disconnect CCEGR valve on top of the radiator

remove vacuum solenoid valve

If you have the Cali smog pump - I can't help you.

Non-ELB.jpg

I'm on my way to vegas and I'm getting 10 miles to the gallon. I don't think my car has california emissions. will said removal give me more horsepower and possibly better gas mileage?

Yes. It may hit as high as 12 mpg downhill with a tailwind.
Don't think of as only 2 extra mpg.
Think of it as a 20% increase.:icon_lol:

Commando - Question or two...

You recommended an Edlebrock 750 or a Holley. I have a 400. Do you recommend a 750 for both a 440 and a 400? What do you think about an Edelbrock 600 (1406) with an electric choke for a 400? Of course with the adapter plate to go from a spread bore to a square bore. What model # Holley would you recommend for a 400?

Last edited:
Commando - Question #2

You recommended keeping the original intake manifold. Can I pick your brain a little deeper on that recommendation. Is it because the original manifold is easier to hook up all the rest of the stuff to original bolt holes and brackets like cruise control, throttle return, etc. Your thoughts on an Edelbrock Performer Intake and possible problems hooking up other brackets, linkage, etc.

Look at it this way: You're planning a major rebuild later down the road. At this point it would be foolish to try and pick a manifold. It has to be matched to the rest of the components. The carburetor you can use now and be pretty much assured that whatever way your build goes later on, the 750's will still be a good match.
And yes!!!! Most of all, the simplicity. Plug & play.
I said 750 because you said stroker, regardless of whether it's 400 or 440. Makes no sense to spend all the money on a stroker kit and try and get away with a 600.

Personally, unless you're insane as I am, do a mild, smooth running rebuild. Clean up the block, do a valve job, check over the crank, rods, pistons, pushrods, and rocker arms. A mild cam, new lifters and an Eddie intake and carb, dual exhausts, and you'll be more than happy. RockAuto oil, fuel, and water pumps, gasket set and odds and ends. After all, it's a 78 Newport, not a 70 440 GTX.

And I don't want to be the only one chiming in. After all, WTF do I know....

Regardless of what carburetor model, just pick one with an electric choke and vacuum secondaries. Unless you're going racing.

Last edited:
Funny you say that car. My brother in law has a 71 440 gtx that I want to he able to at least keep up with.

carson_as_carnac.gif
" '71 440 GTX...."

To make up for your extra 1,100 pounds of pork, you'll have to have an 185 HP advantage. Good luck......

Last edited:
There is no way you'll keep up with that GTX unless you are up to 600 cubes.

You're wasting a pile of money trying to keep up. I'd say put your ego asside and ask him if he can get l --d in the back seat

To do it right, it was going to cost $9K just in parts to stroke a 5.9 Magnum. + machining and I do the assembly.

You can dig more ponies out by doing what Commando said. Also work on a good cold air syustem. Get the air from outside the engine compartment

PolaracoIntake2.jpg

Back