What do guys use for rear speakers

Or try one of these high sensitivity 3" 8ohm. I have the 4 ohm version of this in another car. Very nice. A lower price option is this Dayton.

I just happened to have a non-ac 69 Fury dash out and took these pics. I would think these would be called 3.5" round but the actual dimensions are 3 3/8" dia, 1 1/2" depth, mounting holes 4" apart. Looks like the cone has a part number on it. Might be 3505-31. Its hard to read. Maybe -311 A normal magnet 3.5 wont fit without cutting the gauge mount that is in the pic. But that's for Fury so Polara may have different config.
View attachment 431937 View attachment 431938 View attachment 431939 View attachment 431940
Thank you. What you have matches the specs and the looks of the 3.5" round model at S&M Electro-Tech:

3 1/2" Round - Used in (...) early 70's Mopar front 3 speaker dash locations for stereo radio/tape applications. The mounting ears can be cut off and the speaker held in with the wire clips used on many GM applications(See photo below). We can supply a magnet filler block on request for cars using the Delco wire clip mount.

Note: When used with modern high power radios, this speaker should be connected with 50uf 50volt non-polar coupling capacitors in series to prevent over excursion of the cone at very low frequencies. Some factory GM and all Mopar applications using these speakers have the crossover capacitors installed in a box under the dash. It is even more important when installed with our conversion radios or modern after market radios with high power amplifiers.

Price - $78.95 pair 8 - 10 Ohm Size: 3 3/8" dia. 1 1/2" deep. 3 3/4" to 4 1/4" mounting center.

3RndFnt.jpg
3RndBak.jpg

Looks like a match. You will find small full range 8ohm speakers on home speaker parts sites like Parts Express/Madisound. Those capacitors are otherwise known as bass-blockers. In this case looks like they are blocking <=400 hz. If you want to get stranded wire bass blockers an example is the PAC BB-3PR. If you are looking around remember most of the specs are based off 4ohm speakers which blocks double the frequencies of 8ohm. Said in a more useful way if you want to block <=400hz look for 4 ohm blockers that block <=800hz.

My plan will be to get one of the speakers I linked to or just a wide range/high power tweeter for this location. And like the S&M Electrotech site shows get 2 3.5 or 4" for center. If you need more pics let me know.

Looks like a match. (...)
My plan will be to get one of the speakers I linked to or just a wide range/high power tweeter for this location. And like the S&M Electrotech site shows get 2 3.5 or 4" for center. If you need more pics let me know.

I found the right pad to restore my dash, and so it is time to order the speakers. More photos of what you ordered, and how the new speakers match the old ones, would be great! Also, did you have an oval speaker in yours?

Last edited:
Im kinda where you are in that the new pad is out and ready to put back in as soon as I get the cluster redone. Originally I just had the center 4x10 but my new pad has both the 4X10 and the 3" openings for the stereo speakers at each end. The center speaker was replaced by two 4X6 Infinity Kappa that mounted to the original bracket. I added a box to the back with passive radiators to hopefully get a little bass like you get from bluetooth speakers. For the stereo speakers I really wanted plain old 3.5" coax but after being limited in depth to what is original I changed it up and got these Peerless tweeters. What is unusual about these, and why I got them is that they play very low, Specs say 400hz. Thats midrange for sure. Plus they handle a lot of power. For both sets of speakers I will be adding bass blockers in line or just the high pass filter settings on the amp I get. I'm not sure exactly the frequency I'll cut them off yet.

IMG_0453[1].JPG

IMG_0454[1].JPG

IMG_0455[1].JPG

IMG_0456[1].JPG

If it helps I can go into more detail another day. There is a thread on my center speakers build.

What you have shown helps a lot. Thank you @bnz84!

I am planning at this stage to stay close to original but with new/improved components from S&M Electro-Tech, and I have been hesitating between the slimline 4x10 oval and the BIGGER-sized "UNIVERSAL FRAME" 4x10 oval that likely has better sound. I think there is space for the deeper unit but want to be sure as I need one for Regina FQ3 and the same unit for Snow White, her EW1 sister:

Price - $49.95 8 - 10 Ohm Size: 4 1/8"W x 10"L. 1 1/2" deep. 3 1/4" x 6 7/8" mounting centers

Price - $49.95 8 - 10 Ohm Size: 4 1/8"W x 10"L. 2 5/8" deep. 3 1/4" x 6 7/8" mounting centers.

--> One thing that would be great would be if you could confirm the dimensions of the center unit.

Do you want the dimensions of what I built or what the original 4x10 is? Because I sold my only center speaker. I do have another mount plate and I can tell you that is way bigger than 4x10. I fit both of my 4x6's side by side so the the length is about 13" and the width is about 4 1/2". The hole for the speaker is pronably 11". Depth wise probably 4". I can get better measurements for all that if this is what your asking for. Fun stuff!

I will be running Audiofrog GS693's in the rear off of a Gladen amplifier.
I am a high end car audio installer and faricator so ill be using some pretty decent car audio gear.

I will be running Audiofrog GS693's in the rear off of a Gladen amplifier.
I am a high end car audio installer and faricator so ill be using some pretty decent car audio gear.
Have you used the Brazilian PRV/Taramps/Expert/Stetsom dsp's? Or the Dayton dsp408? Pretty sure I'm going in that direction fed by a Bluetooth controller.

Yes, audiofrog and gladden are too spendy for me. Id like to hear them one day. Are you using the class D versions?

Never used them but.....

Have you used the Brazilian PRV/Taramps/Expert/Stetsom dsp's? Or the Dayton dsp408? Pretty sure I'm going in that direction fed by a Bluetooth controller.

Yes, audiofrog and gladden are too spendy for me. Id like to hear them one day. Are you using the class D versions?
I am using the class D Gladen 5 channel amplifier. Reasonably priced and excellent sound quality.
I have installed some Sound Digital and Tramps amplifiers, not DSP's and I have been extremely dissapointed in their lack of sound quality. On an oscilloscope, the Taramps amplifiers are some of the dirtiest sounding amps I have ever tested. Even with the gain at it's lowest, the sound still produces a square wave. That's some ad news as far as distortion goes.

I have an ARC audio PS-8 in my Honda and it is an incredible DSP. I have also used Helix, JL VXi, Mosconi (one of my faves) and Audison bit1 as well. All great DSP's with excellent qualities.

I had reached out to S&M Electro-Tech at the end of January, and they replied today. The reason for the delay is that the man who created the business, and who repaired/updated original radios, has passed away.

The son and daughter have taken over the speaker business. I talked to the son, Ted, who was very nice and helpful. The bad news is that, for the time being, they do not repair radios anymore (they will send me a reference for a radio repair person). The good news is that they continue to sell the speakers.

--> I ordered the universal 4x10" oval and two 3.5" round speakers today, and should get them sometime next week.

Interestingly, Ted asked me if I needed blocks to make the round units fit. The reason why he asked, is because their units are quite small, and so they may need "blocks" to secure them. I did not have the answer as I am not in front of my cars, and the database that his father had set up for a whole list of cars (needs/does not need) does not have a 1969-1970 Polara in it. So, he kindly threw in the blocks for free, and I promised that @71Polara383 and I would let him know whether they were needed or not.

PS: Now then, I have speakers on the way, but Regina's radio and the radio that @70 Sport Suburban sold me for Snow White still need refurbished.

I have speakers (...) but Regina's radio and the radio that @70 Sport Suburban sold me for Snow White still need refurbished.
Thanks to @Kelly Coleman for suggesting the person who repaired his 8-track R37 radio thirteen years ago (and it still works!):

Robert Pacini at Precision Stereo Repair (Hemmings story)
6475 Stage Rd
Utica NY 13502

Ph.315-797-5219

The cost is $200, plus $50 for an Aux Input / Cable and $50 to improve the sound. That's not cheap, but for an 8-track that seems competitive / in line with other prices from places not as highly recommended. So the R22 radio that I got from @70 Sport Suburban for Regina FQ3 will be going there.

Back