What Do You Bring on Long Trips or Rescues?

Project Sketchy

Reaction score
After looking at some pictures and videos of Members on long trips or heading out to pick up their new project, it sure would be handy to have a good checklist of "must have", "probably going to need this", "not needed, but will make my life easier", and "leave it at home".

(And no, you can't say one of those giant. 200 draw, roller tools chests.)

If I know the tires are gone or old/flat, I'll bring four may-pops plus lugnuts to roll it on a trailer, or two good highway tires plus two may-pops if using a tow dolly.

If it is a "drivable" car...five gallons of gas, electric fuel pump with filter, oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, air tank, and a few dollars to vacuum the crap out of the interior and wash the "barn find" dirt off at the nearest car wash emporium. Keeping the dirt to prove "provenance" is complete bullshit...that is what a camera phone is for. Documentation. Plus, a tow rope to get it to a safe spot so I can call a tow company to haul my new "drivable" acquisition home, if necessary.

And, always go with a buddy and a sidearm or two.

In addition to Patrick66's list, I would suggest:
Wrenches, socket set, pliers, screw drivers, lug wrench, Multi meter, Timing light, emery cloth, rebar wire, electrical tape, crimp terminals, wire, jacks, jack stands, battery and Visa card!!
As some of us are getting older, Your buddy should be younger and able to provide some muscle!
These "expiditions" can be fun, frustrating, or nightmarish, so take "good humor' and enjoy. Remember that what upsets you today may well be the story you laugh about later!

I take distributor, coil, ballast, cap & rotor, full set of plug wires, jumper wires, alternator, fan belts, starter, carburetor, 3 gallons water, used rad hoses and heater hose. Fuel filters and several feel of fuel hose, small electric fuel pump. Tow rope, and some good wheels/tires, lug nuts, floor jack. Extra battery.

tool box with all the basics.

all of these parts other that the alt & starter are light and fit in a box.

depends on the situation and the weather.

Unless its only 15-20 miles or closer anymore, I just trailer them home anymore. I have a trailer and winch and a diesel pickup. The older I get, the less I want to take a chance on working on something alongside the road.
Even with that, I will take at least one good spare for it with jacks and simple tools.
Once its home, then I can take the time to go through systems one at a time to make sure its dependable.
A good friend is a huge plus if it can be arranged.

Those emery boards that our wives/girlfriends use to groom thier nails make a useful substitute for the point files that are now difficult to find. Also a 12v compressor and tire plugs can "save the day".
Occasionally, what we carry may save someone elses day more often than our own. Always wise to "sow" some good will! Lindsay

Floor jack, jack stands, full socket set, safety triangle, flashlight, all fluids, fuses, ballast resistors. Jumper cables, jump starter.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to see someone say...."On longs trips with my 1967 Newport, I take...."

Anyway. as a founding member of the I Can't Pass By a Wrecking Yard Without Checking, I used to have a list of stuff I drug around in my truck.

Tools...a mostly complete 1/2 and 3/8 rachet set, open/boxed end wrenches, assortment of screw drivers, hammer, diagonal cutter, vise grips, good set of 6pt deep well sockets and several extensions for both the 1/2 and 3/8, a 2ft breaker bar with a 3 foot pipe extension, utility knife.
ropes/ratchet tie down
couple of ratty spare tires (useful for keeping engine/trans and heavy parts from tipping over and sliding around truck bed)
several garbage bags--besides cleaning up any litter, make a quick poncho, ground cloth, seat cover
big piece of cardboard--you can lay or sit on it, smash down grassy area to work.
bottle jack, scrap of plywood and several bits of 2x4 and 4x4
flashlight
can of wasp spray---works on spiders, bees, wasps, ants
wrecking bar
brake cleaner and bag of towels
first-aid kit
heavy tow-chain with J hook end
long handle magnet
spare battery that might still have some charge and long set of jumper cables.

I brought a flat head screw driver,
a Philips screw driver, a torque wrench, deep sockets 3/8”-1”, a breaker bar, a jack, two jack stands, a MAPP gas torch,
tow straps, a charged 12v battery and a set of combination wrenches 3/8”-3/4” when I brought home my Imperial. I knew that it was going to need tires, so I stopped at Tire Rack to pick up two tires on the way.

This could’ve easily spiraled into a I pack like I’m heading over Donner Pass when going on a cruise thread LoL. I’ve noticed nobody carries jumper cables anymore....

CA100DDE-C475-441C-B627-9A5A6E23403A.png

Out of 30 to 40 cars on the Malibu cruise only we had cables to save the cuda.

This could’ve easily spiraled into a I pack like I’m heading over Donner Pass when going on a cruise thread LoL. I’ve noticed nobody carries jumper cables anymore....

View attachment 566430

Out of 30 to 40 cars on the Malibu cruise only we had cables to save the cuda.
I carry a jump box rather than cables.

People with newer cars or trucks are reluctant to offer to hook up the cables to their car because of being afraid of frying their electronics. Since I've seen a few dumb asses hook up cables wrong, I can't blame them.

My cheap Harbor Fright jump box works great and then I don't depend on anyone else. Easier to use and doesn't too much more space in the trunk. Don't have to maneuver the cars together either.

Back