What do you think I should offer for this 68 Newport 2-door?

Ok, I'll check that this afternoon. Another interesting thing I noticed is the rear springs have 7 leafs. You can tell by the picks isn't not slumping in the back and in fact has a bit of a rake. Was that ever a factory option?

I think that would have come with only the 440 TNT option, HD suspension or trailer towing. Somebody more familiar with the fender codes might solve this. The best I could come up with:

CAR: Unknown Make and Model.
ENGINE: 383cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Manual Column Shift
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: April 08.
AXLE: Unknown Axle Code
INTERIOR:
PAINT:
OTHER: Racing Green Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. Unknown Color Racing Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
88: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
S2: Unknown Option

abc OPTIONS:
g7: Unknown Option
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It

Kinda hard to see the stamp in this pic, but it's a 4 speed

upload_2020-6-2_7-23-16.png

I assume the flywheel is not supposed to be exposed like this, so something is missing
upload_2020-6-2_7-25-6.png

comparing it to this chart, I'd say it looks more like the B-body style vs. the A-body
upload_2020-6-2_7-28-55.png

Not to hijack your thread but I just bought a 68 Newport with a SureGrip, 727 torqueflight, 383 w/Edelbrock 750 (carb & manifold are after market - car came with a 2bbl), less than 70k documented miles, I have the window sticker, original receipt of purchase, and the build sheet. The interior is in pristine condition and we even got the AM radio working last weekend.

I have had to replace ALMOST the entire braking system so far and I have given it a major tune up. Needless to say she starts and idles pretty good now. Next is a new exhaust system from the manifold back (can't decide on Waldron aluminized or TTI Stainless). I am going to put a cherry bomb on it in the interim (looks like the stock, single exhaust).

I am also looking for all of the belts & hoses (hoping to find a package deal, would like to get 2 of each to be safe and initially replace all and also have spares).

I need someone to look at (and probably rebuild & tune) the Edelbrock; it is sputtering and backfiring.

The steering is INCREDIBLY loose - kinda scares me to drive it down the road - probably just need to get used to it. I would like to find a local shop that can go through the front end steering and suspension...probably do a front end alignment. Also inspect the torsion bars and level out the ride height.

She still needs tags and a safety inspection. I have an appointment at DMV on June 17 for the tags & title transfer. Then on to a local VA inspection station.

These are super cool cars though, no? LOVE the lines on the 2 doors!

Kinda hard to see the stamp in this pic, but it's a 4 speed

View attachment 380465

I assume the flywheel is not supposed to be exposed like this, so something is missing
View attachment 380466

comparing it to this chart, I'd say it looks more like the B-body style vs. the A-body
View attachment 380467
The stamped heavy steel dust cover is missing. A blessing in disguise now that you can acces the clutch disc and free it up off the flywheel.
4 speed is a bonus. Worth keeping if you can figure out whassup with the shifter linkage

have you tried rocking or towing it back and forth while working the pedal?

if you get it free, cut a piece of 2x4 to wedge between the seat and pedal or it will stick again.

68 Newport DDD.
Just noticed you're from Manassas, VA. Small world I guess as I'm Manassas too. I live right in downtown on Prince William Street.
I have a 67 300 'vert that's in storage in Calverton right now.

Back