What does a base 66 Chrysler look like? Part 1

And a 2barrel carb 383 with single exhaust. Can't get anymore base than that except for /6. Never seen a 66 without the fender turn signals. Was working on the speedo in my NYer and found the inside turn signals were available, just install bulbs. I would like to see the interior. Manual trans versions were rather rare.

Here's something that you'll probably appreciate. This is all the optional equipment for 1966 Chrysler models along with ordering codes and MSRP. When I bought my FSM from eBay a long time ago, this fold-out card was tucked between the pages.

1966_Option_Price_List_2.jpg

1966_Option_Price_List_1.jpg

Very nice chart. I didn't know the left bucket had an option for headrest. When I had mine recovered years ago I found the adjuster was present, only the cover was sewn into the seat keeping it from working. I figured it was only the right side that was adjustable and the factory used the same hardware for both sides.

Option 82 is interesting, the 440 was the only choice on the New Yorker. Option 62 shows the 383 wasn't available. What is the difference between the default 440 and the TNT 440? Is there a code on the fender plate that identifies this? Or a stamp on the boss beneath the AC compressor?

The Safeguard Sentinel Lighting is the only option I am still looking for. Been very hard to find. I've only seen photos of one '66 with it. Anyone know a source for this, PM me.

Very nice chart. I didn't know the left bucket had an option for headrest. When I had mine recovered years ago I found the adjuster was present, only the cover was sewn into the seat keeping it from working. I figured it was only the right side that was adjustable and the factory used the same hardware for both sides.

Option 82 is interesting, the 440 was the only choice on the New Yorker. Option 62 shows the 383 wasn't available. What is the difference between the default 440 and the TNT 440? Is there a code on the fender plate that identifies this? Or a stamp on the boss beneath the AC compressor?

The Safeguard Sentinel Lighting is the only option I am still looking for. Been very hard to find. I've only seen photos of one '66 with it. Anyone know a source for this, PM me.
Hi John,
One of my Chryslers has a left bucket with the headrest and the right bucket with recliner and hide-away headrest. IMO the left headrest is pretty useless. It's too low and too far away from the back of your head to do anything, neither while driving or in an accident. The passenger seat with the recliner and hide-away headrest is useful and comfortable enough to have a nap, though since I'm always driving my car I rarely get to try it.

A 440 rated 350hp was the standard engine in the New Yorker. The optional 440 TNT was rated 365hp in 1966. (For 1967 the TNT 440 was bumped up to 375hp.) I don't believe the engine code was indicated on fender tags until 1967. On the VIN, engine code "J" was used whether a standard 440 or 440 TNT was installed, so there's no easy way to tell. I don't know if the engine stamping plate had "HP" stamped on it or not for a TNT engine.

Option 82 is interesting, the 440 was the only choice on the New Yorker. Option 62 shows the 383 wasn't available. What is the difference between the default 440 and the TNT 440? Is there a code on the fender plate that identifies this?

Yes...engine assembly codes are listed on the 66 Chrysler tags under the AB. 81= LP 440 82 = HP TNT.
engine_codes.jpg

It's surprising that Chrysler, a "luxury brand" would have such poverty hubcaps on the Newport. Those things look like they came off a Dodge Dart the county dog catcher would drive!

Yes...engine assembly codes are listed on the 66 Chrysler tags under the AB. 81= LP 440 82 = HP TNT.
View attachment 406818
Interesting, I have a TNT 440. Also has the dual snorkel and dual exhaust. It does make me wonder what added the 15HP, different heads, cam, or exhaust.

Anyone know what the original exhaust size was? Rust took it's toll, when I had it replaced the tech used 2" pipe. I think it should be larger.

Thanks

The FSM shows the same cam for regular 440 and 440 TNT in 1966. I think the 1967 440 TNT may have had a different cam, as well as the HP exhaust manifolds, and the 915 casting heads, which is why it gained another 10hp for 1967 (375hp vs 365hp).

Here's something that you'll probably appreciate. This is all the optional equipment for 1966 Chrysler models along with ordering codes and MSRP. When I bought my FSM from eBay a long time ago, this fold-out card was tucked between the pages.

View attachment 406403

View attachment 406404
Thank you for posting this! I found it fascinating. I learned that American 300s did not get a front bench seat.
I have seen a photo once of a NY with no radio.
This also confirms that there was no 4-speed offered.

And a 2barrel carb 383 with single exhaust. Can't get anymore base than that except for /6. Never seen a 66 without the fender turn signals. Was working on the speedo in my NYer and found the inside turn signals were available, just install bulbs. I would like to see the interior. Manual trans versions were rather rare.
Likewise the wiring for the fender turn signals are there too.

Dale Flatla near Brooks Alberta had several cars with this option. I have a setup from a 67 NY here.

Really interesting post. This is very valuable, knowing what the car looked like as it left the dealership. Without this information, I think we tend to impose what we want (hope) the car looked like when new.[/QUOTE]

In my Book, 1966 marks the ZENITH of american automotive quality.

Interesting conclusion. I spent 7 years really looking into vintage american cars, with the goal of acquiring that Zenith you speak of, and I agree. The calculus of mechanical design, visual appeal, build quality, and the coordination of those efforts into a marketable vehicle does, for me, (of course personal) begin and end with really any 1966 Mopar.

Interesting conclusion. I spent 7 years really looking into vintage american cars, with the goal of acquiring that Zenith you speak of, and I agree. The calculus of mechanical design, visual appeal, build quality, and the coordination of those efforts into a marketable vehicle does, for me, (of course personal) begin and end with really any 1966 Mopar.

Yep, 1966 was The Year of Detroit Gold, and Mopar had the 24 karat stuff. Chrysler was Mopar's flagship and their cars from 1965-1968 were the best they ever made. 1966 saw the Peak in quality and SIMPLE, ELEGANT DESIGN! The sole lack in them got remedied in 1967 with the dual circuit brake system. After that, it all rolled down the mountain, from the summit they never visited again. They should have never killed the C body or the B/RB engine either, as continued demand for that engine showed. The 440 perfected the RB block's potential, and the 400 did the same for the B block later, though by then the political contamination and accountants busied themselves at killing the Goose that laid the Golden Eggs.

Much as I like the LA block, and Hemi power, the B/RB really is the Working Man's Dream V8, and the C body Mopar is the car to put it in!

Back