What goes in this dash hole? 72 new yorker

dieseldazzle

Reaction score
Somebody hacked in some wooden clock in the dash of my 72 new yorker wagon. Im looking to bring it back to stock. Does anyone know what goes here? Also Im looking for a decent bezel to replace the aftermarket cd player. I have an nos rear window switch in hand. Want it to be perfect.

B65D804B-7033-4724-A851-9E6FDB5BE3C4.jpeg

9AE4AA5A-B14B-4D92-89C3-96CA9EF506ED.jpeg

Since you don't have the original radio, Retrosound has radios that look closer to period correct than the one you have. They also have faceplates and many different mounting bezels to fit different size holes in the dash. Or you can search for an original used radio and then have it rebuilt by Gary Tayman at Tayman Electrical in Florida. It will then look and fit perfect in your dash with all the modern amenities like Bluetooth.

Since you don't have the original radio, Retrosound has radios that look closer to period correct than the one you have. They also have faceplates and many different mounting bezels to fit different size holes in the dash. Or you can search for an original used radio and then have it rebuilt by Gary Tayman at Tayman Electrical in Florida. It will then look and fit perfect in your dash with all the modern amenities like Bluetooth.

Thank you for the advice. Im hoping whoever i buy the new bezel and clock from has a radio as well...if it doesnt work ill send it out.

I have a clock and a radio, let me pull them out and take pics for you, will get back to you tomorrow, cheers.

Okay here are some archive pics, I have the 72 clock and a non 8 track bezel. I will take the extra bits out and then send you some updated pics for you.

clock.jpg
instrument fascia.jpg

One thing about the OEM radios. The C-body and other radios might look to be the same, but there is ONE difference. The pushbuttons have a recess on the bottom to help pull the buttons out to do the station pre-sets. On radios that mount in vertical dash surround pieces, as an E-body, the recesses on the buttons are on the bottom of the button. As the C-body radios mount at that angle they do, the recesses are on the top of the button . . . as if the buttons are flipped over for the C-body radios, so the recesses will not be seen when the radio is mounted in the instrument panel.

I believe that most of the retro radios are B- and E-body applications, with the button recesses on the bottom of the button. A minor thing, but a definitive difference.

The base factory stereo had three speakers across the front, with a fader to run the two rear speakers, employing a divider box (Clectron) to make all of that work, plus a different front-rear fader for the stereo rear speakers. Not quite the same as an aftermarket radio with four sets of speaker wire outputs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here are pics of the Instrument face, radio and clocks. The face is in very good condition and will only need to have the silver highlights done with a paint pen. The radio works, I connected it up and played it for a minute and it also worked through the stations too. The radio is also originally out of the New Yorker too. The clocks, (the pic ended up being a bit fuzzy) first there is an analog clock that needs some black repainted on the face to make it look good again, but it works and fits in the same hole. The other clock, the face is very nice but when I connected it, nothing happened. I haven't had it apart to work out what might be wrong, but I guess it would make a nice display piece. As a package deal I would do the radio, Instrument face and non working clock for $100 plus shipping. If you would rather the working analog clock then that with the radio and face would be $120 plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested, cheers,
Gary

clocks.jpg
instrument face.jpg
radio1.jpg

Here are pics of the Instrument face, radio and clocks. The face is in very good condition and will only need to have the silver highlights done with a paint pen. The radio works, I connected it up and played it for a minute and it also worked through the stations too. The radio is also originally out of the New Yorker too. The clocks, (the pic ended up being a bit fuzzy) first there is an analog clock that needs some black repainted on the face to make it look good again, but it works and fits in the same hole. The other clock, the face is very nice but when I connected it, nothing happened. I haven't had it apart to work out what might be wrong, but I guess it would make a nice display piece. As a package deal I would do the radio, Instrument face and non working clock for $100 plus shipping. If you would rather the working analog clock then that with the radio and face would be $120 plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested, cheers,
Gary

View attachment 173422 View attachment 173423 View attachment 173424

Gary your inbox is full. Please note

Back