just when i said no more - a 72 New Yorker 4drhtop

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
i picked up a 72 New Yorker 4dr htop, wasnt expecting it to happen but couldnt say no when it did.
Y8, gold interior. T code 440.
a sales bank car with some options like am radio, p seat, p vent windows with tinted glass and p windows ( which werent standard on New Yorkers but were on New Yorker Broughams), a non a/c car with rear defog.
got it from a friend who can no longer drive and is declining.
it had been parked for the last year at least. it has 63k miles
some BC guys will recognize the car, it was Mopar Joe's, a collector here on the island with a 400 car hoard and it was his driver for many years.
a variety of options have been added - no doubt from his stash of cars; options which arent on the build sheet ( the original body tag is gone).
it has things like p trunk, p antenna on driver's fender, p locks, amfm radio, a dual snorkel air filter plus a 78 vacuum fluorescent digital clock, and intermittent wipers - which werent available until 78. i plan to look into how he did the intermittent wipers, the switch on the dash is prob from a 78 NYB but it looks like the regular wiper switch in its bezel - no added knobs or rheostats here.
and a sequential tail light kit which looks great with the wide taillights it has.
and 16" aluminum wheels........
which are not my taste but i will keep them on the car because Joe put them on.

1st thing we did was trim the tail pipe and i will go through the fluids filters belts hoses wires etc as needed.
i will put some kind of sealer on the vinyl top which is very cracked but the roof is not rusty; i want to head that off.
floors and trunk are not rusty. it wont get a repaint or bodywork.
the plan is to maintain it and use it as part of the summer fleet.
and as a memory / tribute to Joe.

20230607_153626_resized.jpg

20230607_153822_resized.jpg

20230607_153851_resized.jpg

20230607_153935_resized.jpg

20230611_103800_resized_1.jpg

20230611_103920_resized_2.jpg

20230616_201450_resized.jpg

20230616_201508_resized.jpg

20230611_103908_resized_2.jpg

20230616_203720.jpg

Last edited:
Great score! It would be nice to learn how the intermittent wiper mod was done. I’ve been thinking of putting one on my ’70 NYer.

This is a great score Mark, congrats! Will you be driving it to Kevin’s next month?:lol:
I’m just going to say this out loud and with no offense to Joe really ment but those wheels are quite possibly the worst wheel offense I’ve seen committed against a classic Mopar that I can think of. Maybe honor him by hanging 1 of them on the garage wall near where it’ll be parked.:poke:

GY8 is a great color. Looks like an E9Y5 interior, making it a triple-gold NYer. Well done @marko !

PS: I know that the body tag is gone, but perhaps you can post the VIN tag with the production month for records in the 1972 Chrysler thread? :)

GY8 is a great color. Looks like an E9Y5 interior, making it a triple-gold NYer. Well done @marko !

PS: I know that the body tag is gone, but perhaps you can post the VIN tag with the production month for records in the 1972 Chrysler thread? :)

heres the door sticker, the original VIN tag isnt there either but the broadcast sheet was under the back seat - its getting flattened out

1687100856354.png

1687100917772.png

This is a great score Mark, congrats! Will you be driving it to Kevin’s next month?:lol:
I’m just going to say this out loud and with no offense to Joe really ment but those wheels are quite possibly the worst wheel offense I’ve seen committed against a classic Mopar that I can think of. Maybe honor him by hanging 1 of them on the garage wall near where it’ll be parked.:poke:

nope, i'll be flying out for moparfest

yeah the wheels are ah interesting but knowing Joe i think these were prob wheels he used because he had em already and because the tires are fairly new with lots of tread..........
ive got nice roadwheels and restored cordoba/mirada aluminum wheels i could use but id need to buy tires so these can stay on
@FK3 Sport Fury called them Shazzam wheels, i kind of think that describes em.

i thought briefly of putting these on but they are really old bias plys hehe

1687103492700.png

Great score! It would be nice to learn how the intermittent wiper mod was done. I’ve been thinking of putting one on my ’70 NYer.

i will investigate how he did it and also ask him, his memory comes and goes so hopefully he might be able to give me some 1st hand info

nope, i'll be flying out for moparfest

yeah the wheels are ah interesting but knowing Joe i think these were prob wheels he used because he had em already and because the tires are fairly new with lots of tread..........
ive got nice roadwheels and restored cordoba/mirada aluminum wheels i could use but id need to buy tires so these can stay on
@FK3 Sport Fury called them Shazzam wheels, i kind of think that describes em.

i thought briefly of putting these on but they are really old bias plys hehe

View attachment 602342

Those billet wheels look like Boyd Coddingtons, and would have been popular for something like a pastel colored '32 Ford or the like...or a pro-street trifive chevy built in 1994.

Last time I had to do this it was about $80 to have tires swapped between wheels including balancing.

@marko Congrats on the score.

I'm curious about the air cleaner, it surely had the 2nd snorkel added - are there visible welds?

The snorkels are longer, and the housing taller, than a 70-73 DS.
If it were from an RV the snorkels would be much closer together, to fit under the engine cover.
1687195890772.png

Congratulations on the car.
I happen to have picked up the same in a sedan last month myself.
Love those boss custom rod wheels. But I just don't see them on any C except maybe a 63/64.

Not much known at this point.
Dude died; court appointed administrator sold car to me from the estate.
Healthy motor, trans and rear. Ordered up $1500 of the usual suspect parts to get it running up and down the road for evaluation, then go from there.
Yes, she comes complete, but does she talk and does she walk.
That 8-foot tow bar and 1 ton van is the bomb for flat towing.

P1010015 (2).JPG

Not much known at this point.
Dude died; court appointed administrator sold car to me from the estate.
Healthy motor, trans and rear. Ordered up $1500 of the usual suspect parts to get it running up and down the road for evaluation, then go from there.
Yes, she comes complete, but does she talk and does she walk.
That 8-foot tow bar and 1 ton van is the bomb for flat towing.

View attachment 602602
Love the van! It looks pretty mint.

Back