What Happened to NASCAR? Why No One Cares About Appalachia’s Sport Anymore

sauterd

Reaction score
“To put it simply, NASCAR, in my opinion, quit being something real people care about when its drivers ceased being real people. Today, NASCAR oversees every tweet, every interview and every breath breathed by its imagined stars. There’s too much corporate money involved and in our obsessive politically correct day there’s no one willing to let southern boys be southern boys.”

“Instead, we have well-hewed and polished drivers who have gone through public relations school and taught how to speak in the same accent their local news anchor uses so as to be marketable.”

What Happened to NASCAR? Why No One Cares About Appalachia’s Sport Anymore | Appalachian Magazine

In my opinion it got restrictor plated...

standardized engines, no character in the drivers, quit watching it in the late 70's and don't miss it.

I disagree. One has to put things in perspective with where we are today with today's economy, today's overboard political correctness and over reaction on social media. Another factor is the diminished support from the manufacturers.

There are some drivers who still have personalities. Kyle Busch, Joey Logano and many others still have personalities. No, they aren't like Dale Sr., Darrell Waltrip and others from the past but the reality is that it is so expensive to run a NASCAR team and so tough to find corporate sponsors that drivers have to be cautious on what they say because there are so many people that are so quick to jump on social media and start a huge negative campaign against a driver and sponsor just because they said something some people don't like. Corporate America no longer cares about free speech.

Then you have the manufactures. Dodge pulled out after a strong come back. The remaining 3 manufactures did not fight against uniform bodies with decals to identify the car brands. I think NASCAR is working hard to make racing more competitive but I don't think they are going about things the right way in all circumstances. The late Benny Parsons preached that if you want to slow the cars down reduce the rake of the windshields so that they are more upright to reduce aerodynamics. I thinks smaller displacement engines is a better answer than restrictor plates of any kind.

Their manipulation of the rules and the events (notice I didn't say races) have pissed off most of the fans.
This past weekend in Vegas there were so few people attending they had the stands from turn 1 all the way to turn 4 closed and covered.
Ya wanna slow the cars? Give em all the power they want just remove the downforce. They would have to lift for the turns instead of running flat out. And if the cars have the wind resistance of a barn door they won't be going fast on the straights, either.
Their own rules cause the crash fests.

I disagree. One has to put things in perspective with where we are today with today's economy, today's overboard political correctness and over reaction on social media. Another factor is the diminished support from the manufacturers.

There are some drivers who still have personalities. Kyle Busch, Joey Logano and many others still have personalities. No, they aren't like Dale Sr., Darrell Waltrip and others from the past but the reality is that it is so expensive to run a NASCAR team and so tough to find corporate sponsors that drivers have to be cautious on what they say because there are so many people that are so quick to jump on social media and start a huge negative campaign against a driver and sponsor just because they said something some people don't like. Corporate America no longer cares about free speech.

Then you have the manufactures. Dodge pulled out after a strong come back. The remaining 3 manufactures did not fight against uniform bodies with decals to identify the car brands. I think NASCAR is working hard to make racing more competitive but I don't think they are going about things the right way in all circumstances. The late Benny Parsons preached that if you want to slow the cars down reduce the rake of the windshields so that they are more upright to reduce aerodynamics. I thinks smaller displacement engines is a better answer than restrictor plates of any kind.
You bring up good points, but all that you said is a exclamation point to all that's wrong.
Most younger people don't car about cars because the majority are boring and appliance like. NASCAR took boring cars and standardized them to be more boring, the pace car is the most exciting body in the whole damn place.
Then there is the safety side. While everyone preaches safety the fact remains we are all waiting for a good wreck, paint rubbing, and serious competitiveness. Like the Dodge commercial of the guys racing that started back in junior high when you testosterone was kicking into overdrive, not well okay you come on back around because some dummy spun out. The engines are wrong, each manufacturer makes a V8 engine all in the same displacement range is those, not some outdated small block that except for restorations no body is looking for. Toyota has had a V8 truck engine for over 20 years, the LS has been around 20 years the 3rd gen Hemi has been out 17 years and Ford stopped using the Windsor in cars 30 years ago. It's time to move on from those small block 1950s based engines. Everyone (except Toyota, because they make appliances) has a ~500 how version of a N/A V8 freeze frame these specs and make them run that ie. Crate engines, and no not the supercharged versions. Get rid of this 14-15:1 compression, tool steel flat tappet cams, and carburetors for that matter.
NASCAR is too thick headed and IMHO too far gone to stay afloat. As soon as one of the grass roots racing organization figures out a formula, NASCAR will be headed to the sewage treatment plant.
NHRA is learning this, their is a lot of grass roots and almost no sponsor$$ racing series making strides and personally more fun to watch than a NHRA nitro event. These are boiling down to crazy powered machines with a body you can still recognize, think Pro-mod, no prep/street outlaws, Drag week machines. Also cahing in on the popularity of muscle cars is F.A.S.T. or even pure stock, both of these are facinating to see the cars do what ledgend has them built up to have done.

I have to agree with Dave. NASCAR is so boring and losing fans quickly. Some of the tracks like Daytona and others are changing the color of the seats in a random pattern to make it appear that the stands are full when they are empty when the TV cameras accidentally catch the stands in the shot. You can notice that the TV camera crews work extra hard to keep the camera off the stands and when they actually show the stands it's only on the sections that have actual people in them. I have to admit that I would have more interest if Dodge was competing. I kid my nephew (big time NASCAR nut) that my Blue Beast could beat Kyle Busch. LOL!

I haven't been to a NHRA national event in a number of years. I really enjoy going to ProMod races. They also have Outlaw 10.5, X275, Top Sportsman, 422 Allstars and other very quick classes. The NEOPMA Northeast Outlaw ProMod Association races a full 1/4 mile. All grassroots racing and they are very fan friendly. They race at 5 tracks in the Mid Atlantic area. No Prep and No Time Grudge racing classes are very fast too.

NAPCar. It's boring enough going roundy-round, but when everything is so homogenized, it's not even worth putting on in the background anymore. Not to mention they gave Dodge the FU. Again.

In my opinion it got restrictor plated...
I find it interesting there is very little talk of the new tapered spacer, lots of talk of the new aero package.
Although it isn't a restrictor plate per se it has the same result, as it is the fans want the plate gone so you know they are going to down play the tapered spacer.

Alan

. I really enjoy going to ProMod races. They also have Outlaw 10.5, X275, Top Sportsman, 422 Allstars and other very quick classes. The NEOPMA Northeast Outlaw ProMod Association races a full 1/4 mile. All grassroots racing and they are very fan friendly. They race at 5 tracks in the Mid Atlantic area. No Prep and No Time Grudge racing classes are very fast too.
Thanks Bob, I started drawing a blank on names. Nostalgia super stocks (422 allstars is a group of them, Bob mentioned) are great to watch old cars doing their duty on the strip.
I would take a day or night at a dirt oval any day over a free ticket to a full blown NASCAR event.
If you ever see a dirt late model race on a slick track, it is something to behold. The guys that miss the setup are sawing on the wheel like a autocross in a small parking lot. The guys that hit the setup make it look like a drive in the park, except for all the ill handling cars all the way around the bull ring they have to weave through.
Want to know the thrill of dirt track racing? Go rent a car, get the insurance, find a giant gravel parking lot, get up to approximately 70-75 mph and then stand on the brakes and negotiate a u turn with no spin out.

The Ford na$car engine is no longer Windsor based. The GM engine shares nothing with the LS.
The Dodge engine is moot. And the Toyota production v8 is a dohc design. They had to go back 50 years to design an engine for na$car.
And now they say they use camaro and mustang...since when did those cars come in those sizes? They are a na$car spec car with factory appearing noses grafted on.
People really think those can be bought at the dealer come Monday morning.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I started drawing a blank on names. Nostalgia super stocks (422 allstars is a group of them, Bob mentioned) are great to watch old cars doing their duty on the strip.
I would take a day or night at a dirt oval any day over a free ticket to a full blown NASCAR event.
If you ever see a dirt late model race on a slick track, it is something to behold. The guys that miss the setup are sawing on the wheel like a autocross in a small parking lot. The guys that hit the setup make it look like a drive in the park, except for all the ill handling cars all the way around the bull ring they have to weave through.
Want to know the thrill of dirt track racing? Go rent a car, get the insurance, find a giant gravel parking lot, get up to approximately 70-75 mph and then stand on the brakes and negotiate a u turn with no spin out.

The 422 Allstars have a bunch of cars running in the 9's. Pretty cool seeing and hearing old school Super Stockers blasting down the 1/4 mile!

BTW NASCAR stopped using Carburetors last year or the year before.
Where that is true they still use a carburetor style intake manifold, I don't know the terminology but they are not setup like your street car with the injectors at each cylinder.

Alan

Where that is true they still use a carburetor style intake manifold, I don't know the terminology but they are not setup like your street car with the injectors at each cylinder.

Alan

Agree. I'm pretty sure that they are throttle body injection systems, which are very carburetor like IMHO. NASCAR is trying to keep engine cost down and is afraid of bringing much computer control to the engines as it is difficult to police computer program modifications. I'd be in favor of smaller engines or even V6's. I can remember when the pre-Busch now Infinity cars ran V6 engines to keep costs down.

i haven't been to a NASCAR race in years if they want fans back its simple strip all the current bodies off go down to the dealerships and grab a Mustang, Camaro, challenger, and a Toyota body and put them over the roll cage. And as for controlling speed unless its factory no rear spoiler.

i haven't been to a NASCAR race in years if they want fans back its simple strip all the current bodies off go down to the dealerships and grab a Mustang, Camaro, challenger, and a Toyota body and put them over the roll cage. And as for controlling speed unless its factory no rear spoiler.

They can skip the Toyota .

Regrettably, to me, NASCAR is as boring to watch as baseball can be. No disrespect to baseball, but it can be more of a strategy game than not. Same, to me, with NASCAR.

NASCAR is a much more technology-driven sport than in the past. Rule changes are made for whatever reason, with more kinks and whinks than some board games! Certainly not the same game as in the middle '60s! When it was about HEMI vs. "the world", with speeds a good bit below 200mph. To see who'd find the best way to bend the rules, or find loop holes in them. Definitely more interesting!

Ticket prices are much higher! Buy a ticket to get in, then a seat ticket to sit down once inside the gate. OR rent an RV for the in-field activities!

CBODY67

Back