What is a Sport Fury III, or a Sports Fury?

Sometimes we have allowed generic terms to replace the marketing names of things. If you mentioned "Auto Pilot" to a younger person, they might associate that with Tesla. Chevrolet called it "Cruisemaster" and Ford had their own name. Using these marketing names gave the impression that such generic things were special to the particular brand. Mention "Sure Grip" and somebody might perceive it is some new traction compound at the drag strip starting line or something you put on a screw head to remove the stripped-head screw from a piece of wood.

Funny thing is that "radio delete" has been used for vehicles where radios were OPTIONAL, as heaters were OPTIONAL, too.

Now, if you want a very rare vehicle, look for a '57 Plymouth Savoy 2-dr hardtop with ANY engine in it!

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Does it still count as rare with no engine in it?

IMG_3336.jpeg

When I wrote that, I was thinking "still running" cars as the bulk of the activity would naturally be toward Belvederes and Furys. When I came upon that model in a sales brochure, it just looked "right" to me. With the great basic lines and good "accent" chrome and two-toning. Even the interiors of these Plymouths looked snazzier than anything today! If I was going to restore one of that era, it would be the Savoy

Then add a 383 with EFI and such, a 3+OD TF (converted to "electric shift" from "cable shift"), or a ZF TF with electronic controls via the converted orig pushbutton shifter. Of course, with a converted drive shaft and newer rear axle. Suddenly, it's 2017! Have to find some upgraded sway bars, too!

A good OEM-level restoration with some incognito upgrades, which became neater the closer one looks. Some of those Sport Tones looked great, but think how much better they'd look in BC/CC modern paint of the orig colors!

As un-aerodynamic as the cars might have been back then, a '56 Fury was clocked at 124mph on the Beachs of Daytona in the Flying Mile. The normal 240 horse 303 V-8, did that with a single 4bbl carburetor (of the time). In 1956.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I see folks posting these car models, show me an emblem that says Sports Fury or a car with Sport Fury III on it anyplace.

So then the last photos comes up, looks just as hoakey as the add on side trim.

View attachment 649761

View attachment 649762

View attachment 649763

View attachment 649764

View attachment 649766

View attachment 649767
I agree. The side trim and Sport Fury logo are add-ons but look at the philips screws on the Fury III plate, definitely not a factory install.

When I wrote that, I was thinking "still running" cars as the bulk of the activity would naturally be toward Belvederes and Furys. When I came upon that model in a sales brochure, it just looked "right" to me. With the great basic lines and good "accent" chrome and two-toning. Even the interiors of these Plymouths looked snazzier than anything today! If I was going to restore one of that era, it would be the Savoy

Then add a 383 with EFI and such, a 3+OD TF (converted to "electric shift" from "cable shift"), or a ZF TF with electronic controls via the converted orig pushbutton shifter. Of course, with a converted drive shaft and newer rear axle. Suddenly, it's 2017! Have to find some upgraded sway bars, too!

A good OEM-level restoration with some incognito upgrades, which became neater the closer one looks. Some of those Sport Tones looked great, but think how much better they'd look in BC/CC modern paint of the orig colors!

As un-aerodynamic as the cars might have been back then, a '56 Fury was clocked at 124mph on the Beachs of Daytona in the Flying Mile. The normal 240 horse 303 V-8, did that with a single 4bbl carburetor (of the time). In 1956.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Yeah, I'm still up in the air on how I'm going to build it, but it will definitely have the Fury sportone trim and not the Savoy trim.

I had a 1958 Savoy 2 door hardtop as a daily driver for a while about 15 years ago. There are quite a few around but most have been upgraded which I would rather see than another Christine clone. My car has been garaged since 1967 so the trim still looks new. I think that the stainless pieces will not be too hard to find but the inserts may take some searching. I agree about the sportone or Fury trim looking the best on these cars. As far as speed goes with these cars, look up Hot Rod Magazines "Suddenly". It ran in the 160s at Daytona Beach and in the 180s at The Bonneville Salt Flats back in 1957. If I remember correctly, it had a 331 or 354 Hemi with fuel injection.

I had a 1958 Savoy 2 door hardtop as a daily driver for a while about 15 years ago. There are quite a few around but most have been upgraded which I would rather see than another Christine clone. My car has been garaged since 1967 so the trim still looks new. I think that the stainless pieces will not be too hard to find but the inserts may take some searching. I agree about the sportone or Fury trim looking the best on these cars. As far as speed goes with these cars, look up Hot Rod Magazines "Suddenly". It ran in the 160s at Daytona Beach and in the 180s at The Bonneville Salt Flats back in 1957. If I remember correctly, it had a 331 or 354 Hemi with fuel injection.
I have all the stainless, and I bought the inserts several years ago from a guy in Canada that makes them. I also have enough of the horizontal bars on the upsweep to do 1 side. I figure I can make them out of stainless tubing for the other side. I'm leaning towards using emblem tape to hold the trim on instead of drilling holes all down the side of the car.

LOL! Yeah. The red white and blue bars mean its a Sport Fury III. Perhaps, since the 67 Sport Fury is the only one with the red white and blue bars in the vertical position (resembling a Roman numeral three) then maybe 67 was the only year the Sport Fury was actually a Sport Fury III.
View attachment 649785View attachment 649786
View attachment 649787View attachment 649788
The red white and blue bars DO NOT mean it's a Sport Fury 3!!! There is no such thing!!! Look up VIN decoding! Look up a parts book! There is NO SUCH THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If we willingly accept terms like 'radio delete' and 'posi' why should we not embrace Sport Fury III also?"

Understand your point, I do not accept it.
However I do find myself saying Cruise control, not speed control. I know better.
Very simply, because Chrysler made no such vehicle!

"If we willingly accept terms like 'radio delete' and 'posi' why should we not embrace Sport Fury III also?"

Understand your point, I do not accept it.
However I do find myself saying Cruise control, not speed control. I know better.
"Radio delete" and "posi" are not brand names or trademarks. "Posi" is used generically in the same way that all tissues have become Kleenex and all gelatin desserts have become Jell-O. IMO 'Cruise control' is another term that has become generic.

I went online to look for an old Plymouth Fury to check on emblems, and one of the first images to come up is from a big classic car dealer advertising a 1959 Plymouth "SPORTS Fury". It must be a common affliction.

1710612510028.png

MY pet peeve is people who call the late "Fury Sport" model, the one from the mid or late 70's - which was a very stripped version of the Chrysler Cordoba - a "Sport Fury". GRRR!

"Radio delete" and "posi" are not brand names or trademarks. "Posi" is used generically in the same way that all tissues have become Kleenex and all gelatin desserts have become Jell-O. IMO 'Cruise control' is another term that has become generic.

I disagree. A posi rear is a GM term, sure grip is a Mopar term. Just because it's come to be accepted doesn't make it correct.

I went online to look for an old Plymouth Fury to check on emblems, and one of the first images to come up is from a big classic car dealer advertising a 1959 Plymouth "SPORTS Fury". It must be a common affliction.

View attachment 650163
MY pet peeve is people who call the late "Fury Sport" model, the one from the mid or late 70's - which was a very stripped version of the Chrysler Cordoba - a "Sport Fury". GRRR!
The "entry level" Cordoba ( by about 1978 ) was the Cordoba "S". No vinyl roof standard, was one way of telling them apart. 1978 Small Fury cars were all Plymouths. Some of those Small Furys were sportier than others.

In dealing with the average public "car enthusiast", some "leeway" MUST be given to their level of knowledge of things. Knowing the generic "de-codes" for the terms they use can be important. "PosiTraction" and "Sure-Grip" and "Equa-Lock" all were OEM marketing terms for "limited slip differentials", but in the world of "car people", that means "posi". Like it or not.

Limited slip differentials are NOT "lockers", either.

Forgive the masses as they have not followed car things, especially Mopar car things, like we have. In the 1980s, a teenager came up to our group of cars at a Saturday night cruise event. He looked at one of our Mopar club member's cars, with a stock 426HEMI in it. The guy asked what engine that was as he had not seen one before. A club member said "It's a Canadian 318". The guy went "WOW! I've never seen one of those before" and walked off (as we kept a straight face until he was away). So "Canadian 318" became our "code" for "426 HEMI", just as "Towel Rack" meant 1970 Superbird or 1969 "Charger Daytona" wing cars.

Can't count the number of times the famous 440 Six-Pack HEMI was mentioned! Or "A friend had a 'Cuda like that, but it was a 4-door".

Enjoy!'
CBODY67

I disagree. A posi rear is a GM term, sure grip is a Mopar term. Just because it's come to be accepted doesn't make it correct.
but considering the percentage of car guys out there that know anything about vintage Mopars , having to explain to everybody else what a sure grip is gets old fast

but considering the percentage of car guys out there that know anything about vintage Mopars , having to explain to everybody else what a sure grip is gets old fast

Again I disagree. It's a matter of brand loyalty, pride, kinda like the spelling police on this board, they're not wrong.

At one point in my earlier life, if somebody asked if I had a "posi" in one of my Chrysler Corp cars, I would have said "No, but my Camaro has one. Chrysler products came with Sure-Grips instead." Not realizing I was seeking to educate them as to what was correct terminology, they would usually say "Oh . . ." and continue to be dis-interested. I soon realized that my "education" activities were bouncing off them into oblivion. So why should it be MY job to do that, so I just let them be. End of story.

Sometimes it's just easier to "go with the flow" and not upset things for others' knowledge. Regardless of their vehicular affiliations.

Not as a justification, but "posi" rolls of the tongue easier than "Sure-Grip" does. AND, when somebody uses the term "posi", we can decode that to mean what it should be for our cars.

Y'all enjoy and agree to disagree when desired.
CBODY67

Again I disagree. It's a matter of brand loyalty, pride, kinda like the spelling police on this board, they're not wrong.

I agree and I hope to God that when some of these people look at a GTO with three carburetors, they don't say "Wow. Cool! A SIX Pack!"

We now live a a world where words, their meaning and the effort to learn to use words correctly changes week to week. We've reached "Meh. I don't care. It's TOO hard."

Last edited:
To me, we've been to that point for several decades, at this time. Nothing new, from what I've seen.

Ask these people the differences between "Spinnaker White", "Wembeldon White", and "Summit White" and watch their quizzical expression. Then they'll ask, "Aren't they all white?" Then say "Yes, they are all white, but different shades of white used by Chrysler, Ford, and GM." Proceed to ask them how many shades of "black" there are and watch their look of utter disbelief! They have yet to realize that things are not nearly as generic as they might believe!

For the record, if we consider Spinnaker White to be a real white, then Wembeldon White is a creamy white, and Summit White is "refrigerator" white (bluish-white). Looking at them individually, you MIGHT see the difference, but put them all side by side and it is very evident.

In 1968, a "six-pack" related to soft drinks or other beverages. A 3x2bbl intake was "three deuces". MAYBE "defined abdominal muscles" for those that cared. Then, in mid-year 1969, here came Dodge with their 3x2bbl intake'd 440 and changed all of that.

"GTO" was a designation for an international race car class. Pontiac adopted it for their new mid-size performance car, and the Tempest with the GTO option was born. Becoming a full "GTO" model the next model year. Many said "GTO" stood for "gas, tires, oil." Somewhere, "The Goat" came into use. Now "Goat" can mean "greatest of all time".

Just some observations and experiences from earlier times,
CBODY67

Back