What is the safe way to remove this hood and hinges?

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
FSM gives me the order of removal, but not what goes 'boing' when I try to unload those torsion bars.

I searched but didn't find anything anywhere. Must be easier than I think.
image.jpg

There is not a lot of tension on these hood springs. I have done this many times in the past. Close the hood about 1 inch, the springs will be free from the upper stop. Pull the rod with one hand forward, then raise the hood. The tension will be gone and you can remove the hood with the springs still in place.

The painter will do it. He is taking the hood off the yellow one to detail as far as he can inside. He just hadn't pulled off a hood like this. Not many people have anymore!

In all seriousness, to absolutely guarantee not chipping the new paint when reinstalling the hood, you need four people. One on each side holding the hood and one on each side to pull back the torsion rods into position and to start the bolts.
And put down movers pads on the cowl and fenders.

AMHIK

Will that also work on a 1965 polara? My buddy painted it and when I went to pick it up the hood was off and the tension rods were out of place and the hinges were laying on the front seat. Not to mention that I have to extract a broken off bolt on the hood.

Will that also work on a 1965 polara? My buddy painted it and when I went to pick it up the hood was off and the tension rods were out of place and the hinges were laying on the front seat. Not to mention that I have to extract a broken off bolt on the hood.
I will look at my 300 tomorrow and get back to you on this. Yours should be the same as mine.

Back