engine removal 101 questions for the newbie - try not to die

Saylor: Sounds like you most everything covered; however. you should go and order this book, before you go any further:
Big-Block Mopar Engines (How to Rebuild)
This book has a wealth of tips and tricks regarding the removal, rebuilding and re-installation of big block Mopar engines. I plan to follow it to the letter for my current 440 / 383 engine swap project.
This one?

51A7Xg2WS3L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is always wise to unload the torsion bars for the front suspension to keep the stub frame attachments for the tranny cross member from flexing downwards. There is a lot of energy stored in those bars and you may find when it comes time to replace the cross member you have a hard time lining the bolt holes up.

This is a good point that many ol' timers don't mention. I actually don't remove the crossmember because I've seen them fold under the torsion bar load. It's not that hard to simply remove the trans mount and slide the tailshaft out.

Btw, next time make the hood removal the first thing you do! I hate working under hoods and sometimes I'll pull them just to do simple detailing, etc.

"Btw, next time make the hood removal the first thing you do! I hate working under hoods and sometimes I'll pull them just to do simple detailing, etc."

. . . .i have a goose egg right smack in the top middle crown of my hat holder (my skull) from the damn latch

"Btw, next time make the hood removal the first thing you do! I hate working under hoods and sometimes I'll pull them just to do simple detailing, etc."

. . . .i have a goose egg right smack in the top middle crown of my hat holder (my skull) from the damn latch
I have a tennis ball with a slot cut in it that goes on the latch. It rides around on the splash shield behind the front bumper when I'm driving so it's handy when the hood comes up.

I've probably only hit my head on the latch twice in my lifetime. Good idea with the ball but if I forget the latch is there I will surely forget the ball

I think the answer is 'no' to this Q - but I have to ask:
Q: when I remove the hood, are the hood torsion bars gonna unload and kill me?

all I want to do is unbolt the hood from the hangars and set the hood aside. not messing with the bars or anything else.

I think the answer is 'no' to this Q - but I have to ask:
Q: when I remove the hood, are the hood torsion bars gonna unload and kill me?

all I want to do is unbolt the hood from the hangars and set the hood aside. not messing with the bars or anything else.

No. When the hood is up they are already on their stops.

Make sure you mark the hood on each side so you can get it back in place.

This one of the tips in the book I recommended earlier:
Big-Block Mopar Engines (How to Rebuild) Also from the book: Make sure you mark / index the position of the flex plate where it bolts to the torque convertor. It only goes on the crank in one position, and when you reinstall the engine, it is real nice to know where to bolt up the convertor.

I enjoy watching projects like yours.
Thanks for taking time to post pics.
What will you be replacing the old engine with? Rebuilt or?

This one of the tips in the book I recommended earlier:
Big-Block Mopar Engines (How to Rebuild) Also from the book: Make sure you mark / index the position of the flex plate where it bolts to the torque convertor. It only goes on the crank in one position, and when you reinstall the engine, it is real nice to know where to bolt up the convertor.
I just use a sharpie and mark each bolt holes on the flex plate and convertor so I only have to spin as little as needed. I play really dumb on this so I don't have to think at all. Had my fun in my 20's.

I plan on rebuilding this unit - but warming it up a bunch over stock.

starter out
20171111_130741.jpg

I'm about to hook up the load leveler.

I was going to put it on the 4 corners of the intake.

my homeboy said its supposed to go on the block and there are predrilled holes already. but he is a chevy guy. but I told him id ask the forum before I rip off the intake when I try to lift.

where do I bolt the load leveler?

thanks -

- saylor

fother mucker I swear to pete that 25% was not in my coupon list the damn japs

I did have a coupon for the sockets tho...
but damn

Back