What is your opinion on Rock Auto Brake Parts?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion on brake parts from Rock Auto? I need brake hoses, rotors and pads and Rock Auto has a gazillion brake pads for a formal ranging from $8 and up. Just wondering what anyone else has experienced buying brake parts from Rock Auto.

I have bought them Bob, never a rotor though. Never a problem,always the right part to the door THAT I CHOSE. Which is why I like RA, you have a choice

Haven't bought brake parts from them but everything I've purchased was the quality I expected and a good value. I bought my gas tank for $110 to my door. Good one too from the Canadian company.

I have bought many parts from rock-auto. I wouldn't buy brake parts thought............ Most stores locally offer a lifetime warranty for the brake components. I would rather spend the extra 10 bucks and buy locally. You can inspect and look at the part before you buy. If there's a problem just go back. With rock-auto you need to call tell them the problem, ship back ect............ Non wear items rockauto is great.

I have bought many parts from rock-auto. I wouldn't buy brake parts thought............ Most stores locally offer a lifetime warranty for the brake components. I would rather spend the extra 10 bucks and buy locally. You can inspect and look at the part before you buy. If there's a problem just go back. With rock-auto you need to call tell them the problem, ship back ect............ Non wear items rockauto is great.

That's an excellent point! Also if discs rotors are really heavy

I did a 100% full brake job, F&R on the NYB.
The only hiccup was that the bleed fittings on the rear cylinders were Metric and the cylinder kit did not include those two little arms that stick out on each end of it.
The big surprise was the fronts.
The rotors were marked Made in the USA and already had the race installed.
Also the "packed" piston cylinder kits came with steel pistons and not the composite plastic pistons.
Have no fear with the RA stuff except for one thing.
Their ordering software is rigged that so no matter which combination of parts you try to mix and match to minimize the "locations" it's shipped from, they play Whack-A-Mole with the "locations" to whack you with monstrous shipping charges.

Example:
You order items 1, 2, and 3.
Item one ships from "A", 2 from "B", and 3 from "C". Three outrageous shipping charges.
You try to select a different item 2 that if you order alone, comes from Location "A".
You then change item 2 so that 1 and 2 comes fro "A" and item 1 mysteriously now ships from Location "4".

SCAM!!! You can fiddle with your order all day long to minimize "Locations" the whole order ships from and the the ordering software keeps juggling the Locations to maximize shipping.

For that reason I stopped ordering from RA unless it's for ONE part and with shipping is still significantly cheaper than AZ or AAP. They now rarely are cheaper.

The RA advantage is only that they list every brand available for any part whereas you go to AZ and it's Duralast, Duralast, or Duralast.

I expose RA and called them out on this and for the first time ever RA responded in the thread totally denying that this happens.
I then get gave them screen shots of sample orders proving it and the thread got locked.

Rock Auto is great IF you have your part numbers handy. Even then it can be a crapshoot. The search engine can be a PITA. ESP on 50 year old non Mustang or Camaros.

I've had no problems with RA, other than a choke pulloff I ordered from them for my son's Buick. Turns out, there are four for that year car, and my first one was wrong. It would've cost the same to ship it back as the part itself cost me, so I've go one on my shelf that will never get used. C'est la vie!

I've bought parts for my '60s and '70s Mopars without issue. What's so tough about their search engine?

I love their search engine. I use it all the time for reference to what's available out there from other sources.

I took'em on at Moparts and they kicked my butt. They got lotsa money.
The disturbing part was that 90% of their fanbois couldn't understand what I was saying about the Whack-A-Mole shipping game they play. They kept saying "But...." and addressing something totally different. Azzhole morons over there.
I must have explained it a dozen different ways. They didn't get it. I think they were the Rev-N-Ator faggots too.

I took'em on at Moparts and they kicked my butt. They got lotsa money.
The disturbing part was that 90% of their fanbois couldn't understand what I was saying about the Whack-A-Mole shipping game they play. They kept saying "But...." and addressing something totally different. Azzhole morons over there.
I must have explained it a dozen different ways. They didn't get it. I think they were the Rev-N-Ator faggots too.

g, YOU FEELIN OK TODAY?

I like the one stop shopping at RA. I've ordered every componant to do brake jobs on at least three cars in the past and received everything ordered in just a few days. Good selection from cheap to the best.
The shipping is an issue, as Stan pointed out. But the bottom line was cheaper then driving around town to parts stores collecting stuff, and paying taxes.
Small order shipping can be expensive, large orders a little less.

Can't beat their return policy either. I bought a receiver dryer that was represented on their site, (with picture), with no cutoff switch. The one I received had the switch screwed in the side. I was looking for a more OEM look for my 69 so called to try and exchange it. They issued a full credit and told me to just keep the part, (they could not supply the correct one). I ended up removing the switch, installing a plug in the hole and using it.

Can't beat their return policy either. I bought a receiver dryer that was represented on their site, (with picture), with no cutoff switch. The one I received had the switch screwed in the side. I was looking for a more OEM look for my 69 so called to try and exchange it. They issued a full credit and told me to just keep the part, (they could not supply the correct one). I ended up removing the switch, installing a plug in the hole and using it.
Sonnovabitch. I could have got a free drier.
Why didn't speak up last week you bah-stawd....

Sonnovabitch. I could have got a free drier.
Why didn't speak up last week you bah-stawd....

Yeah they shipped me a timing chain by mistake for an engine I didn't own. When I called to correct the order they said keep it, sent out the right parts.

Stans right with shipping game but still cheaper than az or aap even with the shipping also any mid year changes and questions due to pics or description, just buy it local as Patrick pointed out, some parts are better to touch and see.

Glad to hear all the positive things. Looking at ordering a fuel tank myself from RA. As mentioned even with the shipping included, their still alot cheaper then the local places. Also sound like they have quality parts.

Thanks guys

Back