what kind of carburetor should I get?

newport64

Reaction score
recently picked up a 64 newport which I believe has the 361 engine. There is no carburetor and looks like it needs a 2barrel. I wont have the car with me until labor day weekend so I can't check exactly which engine it has until then. could it have the 383? if so would a 2 barrel be fine?

I found a remanufactured carter 2bbl on rockauto.com any reviews on this website? If so I might order it this week and try to start it before I bring it back up to dallas.

the car needs a lot of work and I just want to get a carburetor so I can start trying to get it running. Which by the way what should I do as far as start up procedure? The last time the car ran was 2003. change oil? drain gas tank and refill? what else?

This is my first carburated car and I need all the help I can get.

thanks.

Thanks commando. Another member suggested checking the engine to see if it turns by hand. What else do I need to check to see what kind of condition the engine is in? I'll check out the link you posted. FYI the rock auto carb is about $150.

thanks

I just test to see if it turns by hand. After that, a fresh battery and I cross my fingers....
The directions it can go after that are infinite.

Depending on the Carter your looking at, is what is going on to my Slant Six to make it into a Super Six. I haven't heard too much bad things about this carb as a rebuild. I 've heard nothing but problems with remanufactured carbs and are better paperweights then carbs.

Myself? I'd be doing some research on these before deciding:

http://www.holley.com/types/Two Barrel Street.asp

And other than a carb to get it running, I wouldn't invest another penny into the engine until you see what kind of shape it's in.

HeHe, this model I'm planing on putting on my Super Six :D when the money fairies visit me at night in the future. Holley is a big name brand so the parts are very easy to come by and they are easy to work on.

Last edited:
This is the carb I'm trying to get.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1125328&cc=1327328

So if all goes well, the engine will turn by hand and ill bolt on the carb. Which reminds me there are no bolts for the carb, will the carb come with the gasket and bolts? If not how do I find the what kind of bolts it needs?

Should I replace the spark plugs before trying to crank it? Also read that I should pour some fresh engine oil down the spark plug holes when I try to start it for the first time.

Other than that what else do you think I'll need? Some kind of carb spray to see if that helps it fire?

i will be at a ranch with no Internet so I want to be as prepared as possible to try and get it started so I can get it on the trailer.

I'd switch out the plugs, they could be completey useless, put in fresh oil and fuel and if it starts dump some Seafoam down the carb to clean out some of the gunk in the intake etc...

Back