What to look for when buying a c-body Fuselage - Specifically a 300

Rubatoguy

Reaction score
Hello,
I grew up with my parents 1971 300 two door and loved that car. I am looking to find a '69 to '71 300 2 door, and wanted to get the wisdom of the group of what to look for when buying. My remembrance was that the car was pretty bulletproof, with the exception of getting rust right below the bottom corners of the rear window. We lived in CA, and noticed that, so I can only imagine it was worse on cars in more rainy areas. We had the automatic temperature A/C and the unit under the hood where the heater hoses passed though was prone to cracking if the engine got very hot. Also, I found out that the tiny water hose from the waterpump - not sure where it went to - it was only about 6" long, was prone to bursting when you revved the engine if it were not in perfect condition.

Always wanting my Dad to get dual exhausts, ours had the standard 440, I would drive though the Caldecot tunnel between Orinda and Berkeley and speed up, turn off the engine and pump the gas pedal, then turn on the engine - with the corresponding explosion in the exhaust. But Midas kept replacing the mufflers which would end up having the end caps blown out. I never was successful it trying to tell my Dad that installing dual exhaust would cure the problem - because he told me that he knew what I was doing. When he was a boy, that was a popular trick to scare people on the street corner when he was a teen.

Todd

I am looking... ...to get the wisdom of the group of what to look for when buying.
Welcome Todd.
If you read through our replies to the cars listed in our For Sale section, you'll see that we're a pretty blunt, if not brutal bunch in weeding out the crap boxes. Probably the sharpest C-body eyes and brains are right here at FCBO. Keep an eye on our For Sale listings and post any cars that you see (without disclosing any info that may get our lurking trolls to steal it out under you!).
As for any advice up front:
Walk away from any cars with the AutoTemp II HVAC. Look for a manual A/C or no A/C.
And don't forget there are no aftermarket body panels for these cars so it's never "light rust, easy fix"...

Hello,
I grew up with my parents 1971 300 two door and loved that car. I am looking to find a '69 to '71 300 2 door, and wanted to get the wisdom of the group of what to look for when buying. My remembrance was that the car was pretty bulletproof, with the exception of getting rust right below the bottom corners of the rear window. We lived in CA, and noticed that, so I can only imagine it was worse on cars in more rainy areas. We had the automatic temperature A/C and the unit under the hood where the heater hoses passed though was prone to cracking if the engine got very hot. Also, I found out that the tiny water hose from the waterpump - not sure where it went to - it was only about 6" long, was prone to bursting when you revved the engine if it were not in perfect condition.

Always wanting my Dad to get dual exhausts, ours had the standard 440, I would drive though the Caldecot tunnel between Orinda and Berkeley and speed up, turn off the engine and pump the gas pedal, then turn on the engine - with the corresponding explosion in the exhaust. But Midas kept replacing the mufflers which would end up having the end caps blown out. I never was successful it trying to tell my Dad that installing dual exhaust would cure the problem - because he told me that he knew what I was doing. When he was a boy, that was a popular trick to scare people on the street corner when he was a teen.

Todd
What Commando said.....and definitely keep your eyes open for rust around that rear window, outside as well as inside. That's an ominous sign of big trouble depending on how extensive it is. Sounds like your probably already aware of that area. Ya really have to love these cars to put up with some of the idiosyncrasies about them.

And don't get sucked up in the "California Car" hype, they all rust.

Here is my "California Car" that never left the state and was not in snow or beach country.

2011-01-23_001.jpg

Alan

Welcome Todd. You came to the right place. We are brutely honest about our likes and dislikes. Find the car that you really like, but beware of hidden butchery. Good luck.:eek:ccasion14:

Stay away from the 1978 Formal's........

But if you find any....let me know immediately! :poke:

The 78 Formal's are notorious for wiper cam failure. I have a 78 NYB and Newport. Add the ATC II that Stan mention and the Lean Burn ignition system for a triple headache. Formal's also have a huge problem with roof rail seal failure for which there isn't any NOS or repop's on this planet....yet.

AutoTemp

Welcome Todd.
If you read through our replies to the cars listed in our For Sale section, you'll see that we're a pretty blunt, if not brutal bunch in weeding out the crap boxes. Probably the sharpest C-body eyes and brains are right here at FCBO. Keep an eye on our For Sale listings and post any cars that you see (without disclosing any info that may get our lurking trolls to steal it out under you!).
As for any advice up front:
Walk away from any cars with the AutoTemp II HVAC. Look for a manual A/C or no A/C.
And don't forget there are no aftermarket body panels for these cars so it's never "light rust, easy fix"...

Our car had the autotemp where you would, if I recall correctly, turn a wheel with the temp on it. It had a "mixer" unit - tall cylinder where the heater hoses would go through the bottom. I think my Dad replaced 3 of them because the plastic where the heater hoses went though would always crack.

My favorite story with the car was when the fuel line broke when crossing the Oakland bay bridge and I could watch the gas gauge dropping while wondering if I would make it across the bridge before the car ran out of gas...

Hello,

Todd

Hi There

I own a 70 300 and also know someone with a 71. Besides the usual places (rear window, rear quarters, etc) be sure to check the front subframe (stubframe) for rust issues - particularly the two rubber isolator/body mounts at each side (under car between front wheel and door). These are known to rust out without being noticeble outside. Make sure you can undo and withdraw each 1/2" bolt. If you can, you're lucky, just coat them with grease and put them back. When I tried a couple snapped and a pile of rust fell out. These (including the mounts which you cannot get anywhere) are a complete pita to replace.

I would drive though the Caldecot tunnel between Orinda and Berkeley and speed up,

Todd

First drove through the tunnel in 1972 after my parents moved to Orinda. Still drive through it, only not every day as in 1977-1998, just once a week now. There are now FOUR tunnels.

RUST !!!!!! and painted covered rust ............ ( Not my car ! ) phew ,,:app:

00909_eoKBNMnpXAV_600x450.jpg

00v0v_j4VTV250xXc_600x450.jpg

01313_ksbONjpE4lI_600x450.jpg

01313_9tpQBeJlTYl_600x450.jpg

00A0A_gqMEnEle5Eh_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Back