Whats behind that barn door??

That amazing real barn find is definately a Royal Lancer and not a Custom Royal Lancer, and it is also a 1958 model as Will has stated and Graham has stated as corrected. Royal was the mid level model (and all of them had V-8s I believe as the base engine), while Coronet was the base model and Custom Royal the top level except for the Regal Lancer that came out in mid model year 1958 which was the real top model in 1958 with some very special upgraded interiors to boost sales and some upgraded side trim. I was fortunate enough to find a very rare and virtually complete Regal Lancer about 10 years ago - it just needs to be restored yet though:

58 Dodge Regal Lancer Project (1) (1).jpg

At first, I thought it was a 1933 Dodge rumble seat coupe next to it but Big_John is likely correct that it is a Hudson Terraplane (given that the grille housing is sheet metal and also in looking at the shapes of the windows and other details) - they looked like copies of each other, also in amazing condition for its age, especially if stored in Michigan all these years.

Hudson Terraplane:

ebay287087.jpg

Dodge Coupe:
1933-dodge-rumble-seat-coupe-1.jpg

This is the most significant post I have seen in the last month for my likes. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Well found this today. Me being a dumptruck driver i get to see stuff that cant be seen from the road. Today i was dumping some dirt for a older gentleman and we got talking a little and i told him i was a Mopar guy because he was trying to sell me a 80's Ford truck. Well he walks over to the barn door, slides it over, and i couldnt get over to see it fast enough!
View attachment 235175 View attachment 235176 View attachment 235177
Well maybe if you show the willingness to bring this back from the dead, that will give you a chance to buy. I agree w/ promamissle keep in contact, you just might land a real gem in the rough.

At first, I thought it was a 1933 Dodge rumble seat coupe next to it but Big_John is likely correct that it is a Hudson Terraplane (given that the grille housing is sheet metal and also in looking at the shapes of the windows and other details)

1934 Hudson Eight, not a Terraplane. Note the hood side panels. The Terraplane was the cheaper car line of Hudson at the time, replacing the Essex and had the six cylinder flathead.

34-Hudson_Eight_LT_Spcl_DV-07-MB_01-800.jpg

Hudson_Eight_Convertible_Coupe_1934.jpg

I wouldn't have been able to leave. I'd have given the guy money just to sit in it's mouse infested interior and make vroom vroom noises.
I don't think I'll ever have it in me to take on a restoration like that, but I sure like dreaming on it.

Here´s some inspiration: 1958 Dodge Full Line Brochure

The engines:
Coronet Six: Get-Away 230cid in-line six
Coronet v8: Red Ram 325cid single 2bbl
Royal v8: Super Red Ram 325cid single 4bbl
Custom Royal and wagons: Ram-Fire 350cid single 4bbl
All with a v8: D-500 361cid single 4bbl
Same models as above: Super D-500 361cid dual 4bbl

Last edited:
Hopefully, he is doing something to it every day. . . Good for him!
I actually meant the opposite. He moves some parts around every couple of years, but it has a 2 inch layer of dust. His plan is to work on it after he retires soon.

I actually meant the opposite. He moves some parts around every couple of years, but it has a 2 inch layer of dust. His plan is to work on it after he retires soon.

At least he hasn't forgotten about it. . .

He might sell. Says he never really thought about it since its hidden away. I left my name and number.
I haven't had good luck getting cars vs. someone who is going to 'fix it up someday'... But, I've had great luck with the, ' I need a parts car for the one of these I'm currently restoring'. I think it takes the pressure off someone who always wanted to restore it, this way, they are not failing to do what they said they wanted to do, rather, by someone else wanting to do something else with the car, it kind of lets them off the hook, and they are more inclined to let go of the car. My $0.02, good luck.

[QUOTE="Mike McGuire, ' I need a parts car for the one of these I'm currently restoring'.

Are you serious.....? It would seem that someone who is sitting on a vehicle with the intension of "fixing it up sometime" (weather they ever do or not), has a special attachment for that vehicle.
If someone showed up at my door asking about my 61 Fury that sat under a cover in the yard for a few years waiting to be restored, and said they wanted to use it as a "parts car", would not even hit the stairs when booted of.

I haven't had good luck getting cars vs. someone who is going to 'fix it up someday'... But, I've had great luck with the, ' I need a parts car for the one of these I'm currently restoring'. I think it takes the pressure off someone who always wanted to restore it, this way, they are not failing to do what they said they wanted to do, rather, by someone else wanting to do something else with the car, it kind of lets them off the hook, and they are more inclined to let go of the car. My $0.02, good luck.

Thats been my luck also. Especially with my 1st gen Dodge trucks. They always seem more inclined to sell when you have one or drive right up the their house in one. Got my 81 shortbox that way. I smoked a deer in my 82 one afternoon. And i knew where another one sat so i drove over there the same day. Turned out to be a western truck that had a bad lean burn. Gave me the truck and 11yrs later i still have it and it has a 12valve cummins in it now.

Last edited:
Back