What's The Cheapest You Remember A Gallon of Gas?

When I started driving in 1975 gas was 50 or 60 cents per gallon. I can’t remember for sure. It was either 5 gallons for $3.00 or 6 gallons for $3.00. That’s a Canadian gallon. 4.54 litres. Your gallon is 3.78 litres. Kim

I remember in 1962 when I first got my license, gas prices were around $.23 per gallon in Minnesota and during price wars they would drop to $.16 for a week or so. When I joined the Navy in 64, I remember gas prices in San Diego being 33.9 cents. I thought, Wow! what a rip off! I don't remember any gas wars after that. When I got out of the Navy in 1968, I bought a new Charger R/T. Gas prices were still under $.40 and that was for 103 octane Shell and Deep Rock Premium that my Charger liked the best.

In ‘79 I bought my last tank ever under $1.00 a gallon in Traverse City.
I was doing a lunch hour fill-up just as the service man was pulling off the cover to rebuild the pump to display three digits.

1959 regular was 48 cents for an imperial gallon. Summer of 1974 many were very upset at the rumor that price would be over a dollar by fall! Now we think it is wonderful to pay less than a dollar for a liter!! Must bear in mind that wages in 1959 were less than a dollar an hour and in 1974, six dollars would have pleased me!

I believe I bought some or at least meant to at 1.00 in the last twenty years. I remember driving by and saying I have to get gas there as I knew it would be the only time. Other than that I can remember my Mom being pissed off at the gas station. It was .99 and she was saying " a damn dollar for a gallon of gas? This is ridiculous!"

On the other end of the spectrum I can remember when it was almost $4.00 around 15 years ago and people were going insane. At that time I did some research on the history of gas prices and found as I had heard before. There were several eras when gas did not change for years. Then it spikes.
On one site a guy was making the point that in the States we have the cheapest transportation in the world and we cuss like hell about it.
He said we will get in line for coffee at $4.00 a cup with a smile on our face.

Then ***** like hell at $4.00 a gallon of gas.

He then pointed out that the average miles per gallon was 20mpg. At that rate four people could go 20 miles for a dollar each. Then he said go to any third world country you want and flag down a rickshaw and try to get that deal.
You might get the bird but you won't get a ride.

I distinctly remember being with my father in the early '50s backtracking to a gas station when it was 10 cents.
I had as my first car (62 Rambler) going to the Merit gas station every Sunday night and buying gas at 25 cents and recycled oil for 25 cents.

I worked at a local gas station here in northern NM when I was was in high school in 1972. Regular was 22 cents and premium was at 24 cents a gallon. That was for self-serve. It was 2 cents a gallon each more for "full service", which got you your windshield washed and your gas pumped for you. I could drive my '54 New Yorker all week for three dollars. I've bought a lot of cars over the years that cost me less than what a tank of gas does today.

Funny, I just did the conversion and $.36 a gallon in 1970 is now $2.54 adjusted for inflation. That's almost exactly what it is here now. My question is why can't I still drive around all night on what I found under the couch cushions or with what I got returning soda bottles? I guess those things don't get adjusted for inflation since you don't now find tens and twenty's under the cushions.

.69 cents around 1986-87 when a gas station in town opened back up when they had a leaking tank. also guys from around pittsburgh remember when wdve radio had two gas stations doing price wars. if i remember correct the price was down to just pennies a gallon.

Funny, I just did the conversion and $.36 a gallon in 1970 is now $2.54 adjusted for inflation. That's almost exactly what it is here now. My question is why can't I still drive around all night on what I found under the couch cushions or with what I got returning soda bottles? I guess those things don't get adjusted for inflation since you don't now find tens and twenty's under the cushions.

I could drive around all weekend in my 69 SuperBee with $5 of gas!

22 cents during gas wars in the early '70's in northern New Jersey.

6.5USD / Gallon (1.41eu/liter) two months ago because of corona lockdown.
Cheapest I've ever got gas in The Netherlands,

Good grief no wonder bicycles are so popular over there. At 6.50 a gallon the last thing you need is a c body chrysler.

Guess who bought a C body Chrysler and shipped it from the US to The Netherlands last year :p

The normal-ish gas price is around 7.5USD/Gallon (which it is now) and the high was almost 9USD/Gallon.

Most older cars (40 Years and older) are converted to run bifuel, LPG and Petrol. (younger cars are heavily taxed)
LPG is only 2.5USD/Gallon around here.

Back