What's The Cheapest You Remember A Gallon of Gas?

Did you ever drive in and around Holland back then or any where else on the west side of the Mitten. Those orange balls were used on the antennas in that area so you knew if some one was sitting at an intersection hiding behind a snow plowed pile waiting to come out. My Father-in-Law even had one on his USPS Trucks that he drove for 33 yearz in the Tulip Patch.

In addition to gas price wars, 18cents in Detroit, during the ‘60s, stations also had various give-away campaigns. Remember the orange styrofoam balls attendants slid on your antenna? I recall a Gulf and 76 logo on some but most were just plain orange. Some folks covered the whole antenna mast down to the base. Course then you power antennas that popped them off as soon as it’s lowered. Dad hated these things on his brand new cars and took them off as soon as he got home. As kids we thought they were cool though and grandpa kept one on his Valiant for years. Said it helped him find his car in the grocery parking lots.
View attachment 469002
I have one of those 76 balls on Shamu.

A162408B-5B7B-4759-8ED3-A005888D7D5F.jpeg

I saw this in my photo album the other day and snapped a photo of it for this thread.
This was late 85 early 86. In Jersey at the Shell station I worked at.
20210627_165215.jpg

Cheapest I remember is 17.9 cents in the early 60s and I think the cheapest I ever bought any (for a car) was 27.9 in 1972.

I remember the orange balls got real popular after the blizzard of 1966. They were promoting them as a way to spot your car over the snow banks.

74ee7a7054259f14b3395c50884303cd.jpg

I think the cheapest I ever bought any (for a car) was 27.9 in 1972.
That's interesting, as the lowest I've ever paid was in August '74 when I bought my first car, $.47 a gallon. In two years the price doubled.

1973 and 1974 people were unloading there big cars and muscle cars for Pintos and Vegas cause gas was sooo expensive. :BangHead:

I never paid attention to the price of gas till I started driving in 1981 and at that time it was $0.99
For quite some time that was it. For the most part I don't look at the price of gas, I need gas I fill up the tank, I go to stations that have easy access, pumps work on older cars and for the Polara a little nose down slope.

Alan

My first day with a license, springtime, 1974, 49.9. Back then there were pumps that couldn't go over 50 cents/gal.

FF05A954-94AA-4097-80CD-C0138E628E33.jpeg

18.9 cents a gallon! Must be from the sixties.
I was picking up my Faygo Rock ‘n Rye and Vernors in tall-neck glass bottles here.
Probably walked by this display a hundred times not noticing the prices on the pump display till last week.

^^That was during a "Gas War".... regularly was around .27, .29 cents. 1968-'69-'70....Got my first drivers liscence in 1969.

Yeah, there were a couple of stations right near Highland Park HQ. that were in a gas war for years. That 18.9 happens to be the lowest price I remember Dad mentioning for the lowest octane Texaco or Gulf.
By the time I got my license in ‘70 gas was in the .25 cent range.

Back