What's your opinion about keeping your c-body 100 percent original?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A lot of C-body parts are hard to find. Interior door panels to start with. So it's difficult to remain original, and sometimes, IMHO, not practical, lean burn system as an example. Well, just to let everyone know. I'm not one of those guys that have to remain 100 percent original or have to have 1978 air in my 78 NYB tires. My goal is to have a dependable, daily driver classic Mopar that can get more than 10 mph. What is your opinion?

considering that most of these cars are 30 years and older it becomes nearly impossible to remain original. really it is also not cost efficent. sourceing original parts is expensive and time consumeing. also newer parts are in some cases better. gas mileage can also be a factor as radial tires are better on gas and handle much better than bias ply tires ever could. gas shocks handle and ride better that the oil filled originals. halagon headlights are brighter than the old sealed beam originals. adding duals to a non dual car can also be a performance boost, and the cool factor is there as well. it goes on and on......in the end everybody chooses their own path.

I like cars that look stock or have mods done for reliability that do not deviate from the car as whole.
Disc brake upgrades,electronic ignition,electronic voltage regulators,volt limiters,MAD bulkhead bypass system,relay harness for headlamps,halogen or HID headlamps are all parts that make our cars more reliable in the 21st century.Plus they are not that obvious.
Bolt on parts or upgrades are fine as wel since they can easily be reverted to stock if need be.
I also believe you can find what you need if you look hard enough and go beyond the internet resources.
For example,the door panels.
If you ask around or check out upholstery shops they may just be "the one" that can do the job.
Also sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns and do things yourself and use some imagination.The plastic in some door panels just crumble so a light sanding and dying is in order-just an example.
Owning a C is a love affair and it does take more thinking out of the box.
But that is where the fun begins and what makes owning a barge an enjoyable challenge.
I have been restoring my 68 Newport for 6 years now.
I have met more people,made more friends and discovered a whole new world for these cars.
I would never change that for the world.

Last edited:
To me its always been how uncommon is the car and what kind of shape is it already in? My orange mostly original 70 stays original or "period correct" while the white 70 will be highly modified. Since its been hit on the nose and already painted once, with a hacker going throughout the car it needs to be redone completely.......................If money ever happens.

I agee with all of you. I would love to see Commando's 4-speed. I just want to be able to go anywhere in the USA, comfortably, with my NYB. I have a lot work to do yet. Mostly electrical problems for now. Almost got the windows working. Next will be basic heat and a/c operating.

Hi. I in the mind of do what you like and F if someone doesn't like it.

I have plan for my 1978 newport, mosty clean up engine bay get the emsion control thing out and header H/D torson bar and sway bar.

and later replace 8 1/4 with 9 1/4 , 6 pack, o/d trans

I'm torn on this question. Like CBarge, I love the idea of a fully functional, but fully original C-Body vessel. However, when I had my first C, it was a '69 Polara Wagon, which I have missed dearly, and I got this '69 Monaco to try and pick up where I left off. Not that I intend to turn it into a Polara, and the name "Polaraco" has already been taken... but if I am able to get the body and frame work completed, and at least get this wagon in safe, reliable, and daily driveable condition, I will be happy. Then, I may look at doing some of the things I wanted to do before, like suspension mods, a different color, a 6-pack hood scoop, and a console shifter with buckets. All things I've seen on various Polara's before, and thought would look cool on a wagon. For now, I will work on driveability, reliability, and safety.

A lot of C-body parts are hard to find. Interior door panels to start with. So it's difficult to remain original, and sometimes, IMHO, not practical, lean burn system as an example. Well, just to let everyone know. I'm not one of those guys that have to remain 100 percent original or have to have 1978 air in my 78 NYB tires. My goal is to have a dependable, daily driver classic Mopar that can get more than 10 mph. What is your opinion?

It's a testament to those in the car hobby, just the fact that one does whatever possible to keep the car roadworthy and rollin' down the highway. I've seen some pretty radically modified C bodies down in Carlisle, all worthy of a good hard look. Didnt hurt my feelings any that the cars were not 100% stock.

I resolved the problem the only way I could think of.
One of each.
Go "WTF" on one, be totally anal about the other.
Works for those with Schizophrenia. It's quite satisfying and prevents involuntary hospitalization...

I'm trying to keep my '68 Fury III as 'correct' as possible. I have made some upgrades and have some more upgrades in the works, that 'could have' been ordered, when new.
I am the second owner of this garage kept, 95,000 mile car, have every service record since 1968 and the previous owner kept impeccable records..... for 41 yrs. I also have all of the license registration cards.

Here's the quirk.....
My car has the optional deluxe steering wheel that looks pretty cool but, the center cap.... has a Dodge emblem!
Factory mix up? Dealer mix up?
Whatever happened, I would imagine that this is how the car came, when new, because I wouldn't think that this would be a wear item!

I'm going to leave it, as is. But, it still has me a bit puzzled.

I'll attach a picture. Rick

Abigail - Dashboard-Steering Wheel.jpg

Last edited:
I'm of the keep-it-stock-looking-but make functional-updates persuasion, I like the way they looked from the factory but mechanical improvements can be a smart thing...and I like stock type wheels and tires, no Dubs for me!

I resolved the problem the only way I could think of.
One of each.
Go "WTF" on one, be totally anal about the other.
Works for those with Schizophrenia. It's quite satisfying and prevents involuntary hospitalization...

:thinker: I think Stan and I have a lot in common, however I never thought of it like that.......Good Point

To each their own. Do it how you like it.

Thats all well and good but At some point you have to look at what you want before you get started. We all have an obligation to keep a nice all original car all original. If you want to hot rod, modify, or change things to be your way find a car that needs work, they're out there. Not many originals left.

The most important issue, regardless of what you as a Mopar enthusiast will do to it, is keep the car from getting into the hands of the ghetto donkers who will stuff it with hydraulics, some 24" bling rims, a McDonalds theme paint job and a leopard interior.

Back