What's your opinion about keeping your c-body 100 percent original?

Gonna keep it going huh Stan?

pointless.jpg

Wow, a lot of diverse opinions on this subject. That's a good thing. Some a little heated at times, but calmed down. That's a good thing too. As I stated in my thread starter comments, "that I wasn't one of those guys that had to have 1978 air in my 1978 NYB". Would I put a 4-speed in it. Hell Ya! But I don't have the time or the patience to go to that level of modification. I'm going to modify mine to some extent, duals, replace the lean burn ignition and carb, R134 conversion, PST suspension, etc. I'll keep all of the original parts and whoever gets my C-Body next can pretty much put the 1978 air back in the tires or do whatever they want with it.

I am all for updating basic systems for safety: Power steering, power brakes (maybe disc), etc. Plus maybe some things for comfort, AC, Seats, Husmat.

Would I add flames to my Fury? No. Would I add custom rims, not on my 4-door Fury, maybe on a challenger, Cuda. Hoodscoop, no.

I like the lines as they are. No other body mods. Most will be small and not noticable.

Just my 2cents.

What is your opinion?
My opinion is this, this thing we call "the car hobby" is just that, a hobby, there are no rules, or guidelines we must follow, neither do we need to seek approval from our peers that share the love of the older cars. Cars are as individual as the people that drive them. I like all original classics, I like restored beauties, I like cars that reflect peoples individual tastes that seem to mirror their personality. The people I see really enjoying their ride and the hobby are the ones that dont care what Joe Blow thinks, or try to let other people pick their parts for them, if you have ideas, put them into your ride. I am a real fan of taking what the factory made and make it better, stronger, faster, more efficient and fun to drive whatever it takes, better engines, trannys, suspension, rolling stock etc, etc. Ask yourself this, if you build your car the way YOU envisioned it and you're having a ball with it, are you really going to enjoy it less if someone says..."I wouldnt have done that to it"? I think too many guys rides never leave the garage because they cant decide who to listen to on how to build it. Envision it, plan it, build it and ENJOY IT!!! JMHO!:yes:

Something else to consider for those that feel a car should never be altered, even if it makes it a better or safer driving car. Most car models went through constant "evolution" and refining, why, because the guys that sat in those drawing rooms thinking up these cool cars were always thinking of ways to make them better, taking advantage of new tech and materials, and they did, and this is what we still do today. Look at the cars today, all they are is a continuation of what someone else started way back then. New materials, new tech, more efficient. Today, the guys that have the cars that guys were thinkin up 30-40 years ago are still at work in their minds "drawing room" thinkin up ways to make them better. I think that is way cool and insures that long after the old parts are gone, these cars will still be viable and enjoyable vehicles. To say someone doesnt have passion because he has a different idea then someone else is laughable.
In the end, we need to remember that as cool as these cars are, and as fun as the hobby is, they are still just big pieces of steel, rubber and glass. They dont think, feel, or care what we do to them, so why must WE get all twisted up over it? Nuff said...............I hope. LOL.

Last edited:
A lot of C-body parts are hard to find. Interior door panels to start with. So it's difficult to remain original, and sometimes, IMHO, not practical, lean burn system as an example. Well, just to let everyone know. I'm not one of those guys that have to remain 100 percent original or have to have 1978 air in my 78 NYB tires. My goal is to have a dependable, daily driver classic Mopar that can get more than 10 mph. What is your opinion?

Wow, this thread has gotten wild in a few spots. IMHO. I fit somewhere toward the middle with a heavy leaning toward "keep it bone stock". I guess I side more with the people who are doing mild modifications and keeping their stock parts back so that the car could be returned to original at any time. I have a '66 Sport Fury that may well be the only one for 100+ miles around me. That alone makes it "special" on the road or at small local shows. At the same time I do like cars that have been modified but as for owning such, it would depend on how rare the car is NOW. A '70 HEMI 'cuda is impressive to see at a show but how many people out there can say the last time they saw a '70 Barracuda with a slant-6 at a car show? Most E-body Barracudas have been cloned into a 'cuda of some engine (340, 383, 440, HEMI) variety and I'd venture to say that the "Rare" ones now are the 225's and 318's.

..just saying. :)

Last edited:
i really could care less. i'm not so much a purist as other folks tend to be. i also rebuild old BMX bikes and some of the folks on the forums have a complete cow if certain bikes aren't brought back to 100% original condition, which i think is not only rubbish but also sometimes foolish - that stuff isn't free.

i don't, however, necessarily agree with cutting up an older car (any car, really, but especially chryslers) and putting hydraulics on them with 22" wheels, etc. but i'm totally down with going custom on them. it's your car, do what you want with it as long as you don't scrap it. :D

Just my opinion, anyone should do what ever they feel like doing to thier own car. If you love em stock standard, awsome. If you barely want a stock item on it, thats great as well.

ours does not have many stock features left on it any more. the body and trim is stock, dash is stock. most everything else is now how i wanted it. Dont care what anyone thinks of it (altho it is nice when people do like it), everyone is entitled to think for themselves.

Also, quite a few people race C bodies. In order to get it going down the quarter-mile a little faster, they simply have to be modified. I don’t mind in the least. It isn’t my car, it’s yours. I modified my Fury by lowering it (torsions in front, blocks in rear), doing custom engine work, putting on nice looking rims, etcetera. It can all be brought back to stock pretty quickly, but that isn’t the point: the point is that it’s mine, and if I want to paint it pink with purple polka-dots and tub the rear end it’s my deal. :D

WOW! This thread sure did hit a few nerves,LOL!!
The beauty of the C's is that they are NOT the overpriced overvalued A/B/E cars and C's are still affordable to buy and fix.
That being said,C owners can do whatever they want and not affect the car's value.
The car can be an extension of the owner's personality and that makes this hobby fun..
Adding factory options and period correct aftermarket accessories is also very cool.

Super low production models,or cars with a strong historical background should be restored to original.

Reading all the posts,we all agree that we love to drive our C's.
Upgrading the brakes,electrical systems,and drivetrain for reliability and safety is a good thing..So what it is not "correct".
Our cars were meant to be driven and not worshipped on a trailer.

In fact,Our C's were intended to TOW trailers,LOL
2008-01-28-1912-21.jpg

Mine towed a heavy sandrail to Glamis for years. Probably at least a hundred trips, all of them pedal-down. and that was with a 318. i can't imagine how fun it would have been with the big 440.

Back