What's your unicorn??

Breaker1

Reaction score
Hello all, and Merry Christmas! I'm new to this site and just thought I'd try to start a discussion. So I ask, what's your unicorn car? What's your holy grail? Have you found it? And have you captured it? Mine is a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona, turquoise with white wing & interior, but any Daytona would do. I actually have a holy grail in every bodyline. And a long list of cars/trucks that would pacify me. Yup, it's an illness!

Easy. `69 300 convertible. Blue with red interior and white top. 440 hp console car with recall wheels and redlines (sorry white wall guys...).

Does The Flying Whale count?

My 66 300 is pretty close. I would just swap the 383 for the 440 and add Autopilot. Other than that, white with red interior and a console is already checked off on her.

I have it 70 300 Hurst ragtop. :rolleyes::poke:
20171201_122126.jpg

Wow! Some really nice machines! I feel like I just joined a yacht club!

Wow! Some really nice machines! I feel like I just joined a yacht club!
Yeah, it's actually required that you recite this when you buy a C body:

It's easy to grin When your ship comes in And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

I didn’t realize these were “Holy Grail” cars until I actually owned them but here’s 3 of them together. A silver/silver Coupe, ‘67 Mobile Director plumb/black and a ‘64 vert Charcoal/red. At least as far as this forum is concerned I can’t think of another that I’d rather have over these 3 which makes me feel quite lucky.:)
You can put me down for a Daytona too if we’re going to talk B-bodies.:rolleyes::lol:
47561ADD-DA1A-4876-BF08-E8DF4965B3E9.jpeg

Mine would be a '65 Newport or New Yorker Wagon. I'd settle for '65 to '68, but preferably a '65.
For now I settled for a '67 New Yorker, it just turned over 18,000 miles.
upload_2021-12-23_16-9-27.png

I've owned a lot of cars, so I know I've already had a couple "unicorns".

Since I was a teenager, I always wanted an early Barracuda. Never found one that was good enough to drag home or it was the wrong time when a good one popped up. I found one from a friend (@roadcuda ) a few years ago. I would have settled for a nice slant six, but a Formula S was even better.

P9qGWmQ.jpg

There's cars I would love to have, but Clark Gables Duesenberg SSJ is a little out of my price range, so keeping it reasonable, I'd kind of like a 300L. I'd have to sell my 70 300 though. No room for another big car in my garage.

1965-Chrysler-300L-Front.jpg

I got my unicorn almost a year ago, a Monaco 383 four speed car. Never thought I'd get a full size four speed car, and I got a rare Canadian model. Beat up from vandles and sitting for who knows how long. A diamond in the rough.

Stopped at Devil's Tower on the way home from picking up the car.
PXL_20210104_195317422.MP.jpg

Does The Flying Whale count?

My 66 300 is pretty close. I would just swap the 383 for the 440 and add Autopilot. Other than that, white with red interior and a console is already checked off on her.
The FlyinWhale was an inspiration to me when I was building my 66 Windsor. I was planning to take my Windsor to Carlisle in 2020 and the FlyinWhale was going to be attending too. I was really looking forward to getting pictures of our cars side-by-side. Unfortunately Covid put the brakes on that since the border was closed.
03_Mike_Windsor_alt_resize.jpg

There are a few cars I'd love to own which I really doubt will ever happen. A 1961 Chrysler 2-door hardtop is at the top of the list, though there are a few other Forward Look cars that would also suffice.

There are some "unicorns" that I want to see but know I'll never own. For example, I am on a quest to personally visit all nine 1963 Chrysler Ghia Turbines. As of January 2020, I'm up to five, thanks to Jay Leno.
Leno_Turbine_2020Jan23.jpg

I was fortunate enough to see one of the turbine cars in action at the Mopar Nats back in the early 90's. I will never forget it. That would be a cool quest, to see all 9!

I did get to see my unicorn in person at the Nats also. I always wanted to build a clone out of my charger, came close to buying the parts needed, but pulled the plug. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Last edited:
My unicorn:75 Imperial LeBaron convertible conversion...the one, and maybe only, Formal convertible conversion from back in the day. I looked for this car for years after seeing pics of it on the Imperial website. And then one day it popped up on ebay. I bid on this car even though I probably really didn't have the money at the time but I would have found the money. I remember telling my wife I was bidding on it.
Turns out I couldn't click fast enough on ebay and lost out by like, a second...whatever.

convertible-1.jpg

Maybe it was for the best that I lost because I was lucky enough to find a 68 Imperial convertible to console myself with.
21744418_1250433251768588_1966666057_n.jpg

Unicorns are kind of hard. In '96 I stumbled into a steal of a deal on 70 Challenger RT SE that only had 43,xxx miles on it. Unfortunately someone left it in a field with the windows down so it needed tons of body work. It was go mango with white vinyl top and a burnt orange interior.

When I was looking for parts to fix my first 68 NYer I visited with a gentleman that had a 61 Newport. The 61's are right up there on my favored list. The specifics don't really matter to; 2dr or 4dr, Newport, NYer, 300.

1970 Super Bee Orange with tan interior would be nice as well.

Interestingly enough I drove a friends 69 RR and it fell small to me.

My Holy Grail was a delete plate for the dash of my 1968 Fury III convertible. I finally found it. Finally.
I got the car up and running and took it out for a spin today. Made my day!!!

20211107_091922.jpg

My unicorn has been a '65 or '66 Dodge or Pltmouth C body. Back in '81 I mentioned this at work. Some time later a co-worker came in, placed a copy of "Auto Trader" in front of me and said, "Here's your car!". The rest is history.
Looks like I messed up in loading the pic, hope you will be able to click and see it better. Tech is not my strong point!! The pic featires the "Loves of my life" Dianne (the one with no beard) and my '66 Fury. Lindsay

Capture.PNG

Back