Wheel change for my '69 Polara...

Don Stolfi

Reaction score
Found these on Facebook for $400/set of 4.

Couple of questions:

1) Will these fit on my '69 Polara convertible? (Looking for a change, maybe, as I need new tires.)
2) Any experience/opinion on Ridler wheels?

Look forward to your input!

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

Check out
C-Body wheel and tire survey
Posted by Amazingblue. I would post a link but can't seem to on my phone at the moment. Check it out and see what you like.
Could someone post a link for him?

Have you ever looked at some Ram OE wheels country of origin?

It would not be a big surprise if they were made in China, but I hope Mopar does better quality control supervision than the junk that is sold on e-Bay. Was down at the Freightliner factory in Portland last week, Cummings engine blocks are all stamped "Made in China" as well.

Dave

If you have original drum brakes on the front, not much of anything but original wheels is going to fit.

Robert

It would not be a big surprise if they were made in China, but I hope Mopar does better quality control supervision than the junk that is sold on e-Bay. Was down at the Freightliner factory in Portland last week, Cummings engine blocks are all stamped "Made in China" as well.

Dave
That’s just the way of the world now. CAT says if the box says “made in USA” then it’s counterfeit. Everyone has cut deals to get stuff made cheap overseas but it don’t always work out. CAT has changed its tune and is now spending jillions to make sure parts sold in USA are sourced in USA. Only took some Harvard grad 18 years to figure out the oblivious & (our constant complaining).

That’s just the way of the world now. CAT says if the box says “made in USA” then it’s counterfeit. Everyone has cut deals to get stuff made cheap overseas but it don’t always work out. CAT has changed its tune and is now spending jillions to make sure parts sold in USA are sourced in USA. Only took some Harvard grad 18 years to figure out the oblivious & (our constant complaining).

Put it on today, take it off broken tomorrow. I would have to think there must be a whole lot of pissed off end users, probably what got their attention.

Dave

Put it on today, take it off broken tomorrow. I would have to think there must be a whole lot of pissed off end users, probably what got their attention.

Dave
That , import law - nothing nitrogen charged is allowed thru the ports. Strut rod shortages anyone? and who wants to wait to get glass from freakin Russia. Believe it or not (bad metal excluded) the parts are actually pretty okay. Notice I didn’t say great.

CAT has lost so much ground w this debacle that we no longer feel their stock is a true indicator of the economy’s health anymore. This and other hangover type decisions are why the stocks taken such a beating while the business is exploding. Sad.

Any cut & paste mock ups on how you want it to look ??? We used to change wheels at work with cut n paste in the paint program on the office desktop. It’s a fun easy way to see it raised or dropped too.

I understand that most of the aftermarket wheel companies are now owned by one or two companies. Gives those companies GREAT product coverage, but I believe that many of the brands are also sourced in China. I was looking at some American-brand wheels which showed the country of origin as "China".

Wonder how many of them still meet the SEMA "5 to 1" wheel strength spec? Five times stronger than the OEM spec? Which was one of SEMA's first big deals, back in the '60s.

CBOD Y67

Black steelies. White letter tires. 235 70 R15 up front, 255 70 R15 out back. Dog dish caps of your choice. Otherwise I'd leave the roadwheels but maybe upgrade to the white letter tires and the staggered sizes mentioned above.

Dibs if you want to sell the roadwheels. :thumbsup:

_DSC0966.JPG

If you go for black steelies buy 8j with 4" back space…….
This is for 69 only , later years got a wider axle.
I drove them with 265 tires ( rear ).
green polara right front.jpg

Black steelies. White letter tires. 235 70 R15 up front, 255 70 R15 out back. Dog dish caps of your choice. Otherwise I'd leave the roadwheels but maybe upgrade to the white letter tires and the staggered sizes mentioned above.

Dibs if you want to sell the roadwheels. :thumbsup:

View attachment 329639
Not getting rid of road wheels, just thinking about a switch-up for a while.

Thanks, it does have drums...good to know.

You'll have to look to be certain, but I recall those years having a "deep dish" brake drum, lug studs about an inch inset of the outside of the drum which prevented any aftermarket wheel fitment back in the day. Kinda tough to make out in the pic.

Or my memory may not be that great, I found some indication that drum didn't start until 1970.

brake drum.JPG

s-l500.jpg

Found these on Facebook for $400/set of 4.

Couple of questions:

1) Will these fit on my '69 Polara convertible? (Looking for a change, maybe, as I need new tires.)
2) Any experience/opinion on Ridler wheels?

Look forward to your input!

View attachment 329589

View attachment 329590
To answer your question...yes they will fit.
I sold and installed a set on a 68 Polara fastop with drum brakes.
Tire size I recommend 22560R17 all around or staggered 23560R17 rear 21560R17 front. Between 27 and 28 inches tall and no clearance issues.
I recommend if not done already swap out the left hand left side wheel studs to run chrome lug nuts.
Hope this helps.
This message was made in China...

Back