When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

This was the decisive tip-off:

If you would ever like to make a day pass like 5 minutes, I'd caution against this. Unfortunately you have to be there in-person:

Detroit Newspaper Search | Detroit Public Library
Keywords I'd search for within the month of June would be "Chrysler, Jefferson, New Yorker, layoffs, UAW, Plant Manager, retool"

Using another search interface I found an article by Louis M. Heldman entitled "Chrysler’s Jefferson plant gets a new life" (Detroit Free Press, October 31, 1978, page 16). It reports on the start-up of truck production at the plant. There it says:

"The plant produced its last cars on June 24, when Chrysler Corp. ceased production of the large C-body Newports and New Yorkers it was building there."

So we should look for cars whose MDH starts with 0624.

That would be absolutely necessary! The Hemmings text only says "6-78 production date on the door sticker", but to my mind that is not enough to earn a car the title "one of the last C-bodies produced" or "possibly the last C-body produced". Only cars produced on June 24, 1978 can claim that honor.

the last model of any long standing nameplate
The problem with this scenario is that 1978 wasn't the last "New Yorker". And if you're going to put marketing resources into a particular model, it makes more sense to spend it on a new model introduction: the 1979 R-body.
79NwYkr1.jpg

Playing around with my new toy I also found something on Belvidere for the 1977 model year:

"CHRYSLER CORP. says it will start production of its Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon mini-cars on schedule this month and is expanding facilities for building Chrysler LeBarons and Dodge Diplomats. The No. 3 carmaker said its Belvidere, Ill., plant, closed since July 15 for conversion, will reopen Nov. 21 with a work force of more than 4,000."
(Detroit Free Press, November 4, 1977, page 12)

The last production days of the C-bodies are:

June 12, 1975: LeBaron
July 15, 1977: Gran Fury, Royal Monaco, Town & Country
June 24, 1978: Newport, New Yorker Brougham

The problem with this scenario is that 1978 wasn't the last "New Yorker". And if you're going to put marketing resources into a particular model, it makes more sense to spend it on a new model introduction: the 1979 R-body.
View attachment 261104
Yes indeed, I should have said the last C-body New Yorker.

Seems our Dutch friend has located the dates, hopefully that Pettit car can be located, and the details recorded. Maybe our southern members can locate it for us???

Last edited:
I see the Pettit car was sold at Mecum in Kissimmee last month, apparently it's a 1 of 1 color combination believed specially ordered by Mr Pettit.

If anyone is able to log into Mecum to view the results it was Lot L51.1. Lovely photos and only 197 miles on the odometer.

If this
I see the Pettit car was sold at Mecum in Kissimmee last month, apparently it's a 1 of 1 color combination believed specially ordered by Mr Pettit.

If anyone is able to log into Mecum to view the results it was Lot L51.1. Lovely photos and only 197 miles on the odometer.
And the high bid was...

Screenshot_2019-02-17-07-58-51.jpg

If this

And the high bid was...

View attachment 261134

That's the one, seem to recall Bill Watson stating that 1514 was the last one built, or at least the last sequence number, so we now know what the last day of production was but not that the car still exists. This one must have been close to the end - maybe the actual last assembled???

Good result:thumbsup: :thankyou::usflag:

Last edited:
Very, very nice car. This was a 1 of 1 color combo?

CS43T8C181574

screenshot_2019-02-17-07-58-51-jpg.jpg

You are talking about this car:

CS43T8C181574-doorsticker.jpg

This information is already in the list I shared in both this and the "1978 NYB, 393 miles, For the sceptics" thread.

Like I said before, I will only humbly kneel before a Formal with an MDH starting with 0624.

As to Chrysler Historical, yes, what are they doing all day long?

@LeBaron1973: Our Italian friend is Dutch.

Last edited:
Back