When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

I never said that back then, Kevin. I, and no one I knew ever thought those "ugly" winged cars as a future collectable. Future collectable? We never heard of "future collectables". That was a term drummed up out of desperation for filler in the car mags during The Malaise Era when nothing current was exciting.

"Gawd, GM sent us their new car releases and it' nothing new except they all have Brougham models now"

"So how many columns can we fill with that?".

I always thought of all of the muscle cars Chrysler was building back then, that the Superbird & Daytona were going to be cars that had long term desirability. Yeah, the choice of engine has a lot to do with the $$$ involved. Chrysler pretty much got screwed, with some help from NASCAR by outlawing the cars and having to build so many to consider them "production". It's funny how their appeal grew as they aged. Hell, I had a client recently who had an IROC Daytona and wanted info on it. I saw the car at New Hamburg over the weekend - not hard to look at 1600+ Chrysler vehicles all in one place at one time.

I always thought of all of the muscle cars Chrysler was building back then, that the Superbird & Daytona were going to be cars that had long term desirability.
Amazing. You were a visionary and I was a stupid kid that had a lot to learn.
Future collectable? My future vision was to get my butt into college or it was the end of the world.

Amazing. You were a visionary and I was a stupid kid that had a lot to learn.
Future collectable? My future vision was to get my butt into college or it was the end of the world.

I got to university straight out of highschool and got married at the end of my first year. Got a summer job in a car plant and arranged to work afternoons/midnights while I went back to school full time. It wasn't until two weeks from the end of 4th year that I caught hell from the university registrar for working full time and going to school full time, but at that point it was a little late for them to kick me out. Everybody in the building I was in knew I worked full time and the profs all were quite happy to accommodate my situation. Had that damn summer job for almost 42 years. LOL!

Had that damn summer job for almost 42 years...
While trying to figure out what you wanted to do when you grew up! :D
I know the feeling.

"Well, there's no Engineering jobs out there so I'll drive a truck until...."

"...I retire."

Something like that. Along the way I picked up a crapload of `stuff' on Chrysler products, had a great time meeting a lot of really interesting people. But I wouldn't mind going back to work. I could use the rest......

Well, here's the latest known produced C-Body.....

06-20-78...the only one I know for sure that was produced in June.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?14025-1978-Chrysler-New-Yorker

2zric2e.jpg

So is the NY'er in the previous post the last and only Formal built in June or later?

Well.....it'll be the last known one built until something else pops up.

That's right and as long as that is clear, most don't seem to understand the concept of "known".

So much has been said about Chrysler wanting to quietly get out of manufacturing Formal's/C-Bodies. Sales slumped by 1978 and maybe production didn't go to the end of July. Retooling for the R-Body too.

OR they hung on for as long as they could to get as many of the last of the DoDos out there

The last D body was the 1966 Imperial. The 1967-68 Imperials were C body - basically a New Yorker with different sheet metal and a 3" longer front stub frame.

The R body was a reworked B body sedan. The 1979 Cordoba and Magnum were virtually identical to the 1978 models. No sheetmetal changes. Which is why many people believe the 1979 Cordoba and Magnum are B bodies while only the St. Regis and Chrysler are R bodies. Gran Fury would join the R body group for 1980. Besides quality problems, the biggest problem with the R body was it was a year late. They should have had the three in production for the 1978 model year. As it was, Chrysler had so many problems getting the R body cars built they did not get into full production until November.

The last 1978 Chrysler C body was built in late June - 6,686 for the month, down from 8,168 for May, 1978. The first R body Chryslers rolled off the line in late September - 4,080 for the month - at the Lynch Road plant.

The St.Regis also went into production in late September at Lynch Road - 1,816 for the month.

The last D body was the 1966 Imperial. The 1967-68 Imperials were C body - basically a New Yorker with different sheet metal and a 3" longer front stub frame.

The R body was a reworked B body sedan. The 1979 Cordoba and Magnum were virtually identical to the 1978 models. No sheetmetal changes. Which is why many people believe the 1979 Cordoba and Magnum are B bodies while only the St. Regis and Chrysler are R bodies. Gran Fury would join the R body group for 1980. Besides quality problems, the biggest problem with the R body was it was a year late. They should have had the three in production for the 1978 model year. As it was, Chrysler had so many problems getting the R body cars built they did not get into full production until November.

The last 1978 Chrysler C body was built in late June - 6,686 for the month, down from 8,168 for May, 1978. The first R body Chryslers rolled off the line in late September - 4,080 for the month - at the Lynch Road plant.

The St.Regis also went into production in late September at Lynch Road - 1,816 for the month.

Bill with all the Chrysler knowledge you have did you work for the Company or is it just information you gathered over the years? I seem to remember a Bill Watson with Chrysler Corp many many years ago....

Last edited:
The Cordoba and Magnum were B-Bodies. There was a Magnum on CL a while back that had a 78/79 Cordoba front clip on it. If you want to hear something more crazy, I can swap some of the 71-74 B-Body gauges into my car like the 150 mph speedometer. Also, the front shocks are the same as a 73 charger and I've been told a front windshield from a 73-74 Charger could work. Not confirmation on that yet though. Here's something else, the door handles on a Cordoba/Magnum were also the same ones used an M-Body until 1989. Part # 3882621 IIRC.

Back