When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

I'll have to check that 78 Mint Green Metallic NYB for his MDH date.

Originally Posted by cm23uoc Some puzzling Detail with my 1970 Chrysler 300 H is the door sticker saying 6/30 while the window sticker was (supposedly) marked from the dealership with sort of a Punch clock at May 8th 12.31 pm. VIN compared to a couple other cars from Jefferson Asy. and some date codes seem to be falling into late April 1970 as well. (original post gone ?) .....

Where's that stamping down low coming from, dated May 8th 12.31 ?
I thought dealership, but then the manufacturer sticker on the door would be dated wrong ?

DSCI0001.jpg

Your original post is still up on page 8 or so.

I would assume the window sticker a.k.a Monroney sticker was produced at the factory together with other documents pertaining to the car. So perhaps, due to the post-treatment through Hurst, Chrysler thought it would be necessary to stamp the sticker, while this need not have something to do with the actual assembly date of the specific car.

Your original post is still up on page 8 or so.

I would assume the window sticker a.k.a Monroney sticker was produced at the factory together with other documents pertaining to the car. So perhaps, due to the post-treatment through Hurst, Chrysler thought it would be necessary to stamp the sticker, while this need not have something to do with the actual assembly date of the specific car.

Were the Hurst 300s returned to Chrysler after Hurst was done with them or did Hurst ship them out directly to the dealer? If Hurst returned the cars to Chrysler for them to ship out, this could reflect the date/time the car was received back at Chrysler, So with Chrysler's usual "rapid" response time, that could easily have turned into a "completion" date of June...

Never thought about it this way round. Makes a lot more sense to me now.

Last time. Can we sticky this and be done with it once and for all????

C-bodies: 1965-1978 (No C-bodies before 1965 and after 1978).
C-bodies were full size, unitized bodies with a front stub frame, and rear wheel drive.

1965-1968 (aka Slab generation)
Plymouth, Fury (I, II, III)/Sport Fury
Dodge, Polara/Monaco
Chrysler, Newport/300/New Yorker
(Imperial, 1967-1968 was a D-body)

1969-1973 (aka Fuselage generation)
Plymouth, Fury (I, II, III)/Sport Fury
Dodge, Polara/Monaco
Chrysler, Newport/300/New Yorker
Imperial, (all)

(Furys (NOT "Furies") were I, II, III. NOT 1,11,111, i, ii, iii, nor 1, 2, or 3. Nor was there a Sport Fury III or a Sports Fury.)

1974-1978 (aka Formal generation)
Plymouth, 1974: Fury (I, II, III), 1974-1977: Gran Fury
Dodge, 1974: Monaco, 1975-1977: Royal Monaco
Chrysler, 1974-1978: Newport, 1974-1975: New Yorker, 1976-1978: New Yorker Brougham. Wagons were Town & County.
Imperial, 1974-1975 (all)

(1975-1978 Furys (not "Furies") and 1975-1978 Monacos were B-bodies.)

Is there a story behind the names "Slab", "Fuselage" and "Formal"?

The origin of those terms is before my time...
The terms themselves refer to the style of the bodies of those 3 generations of C-bodies.

Posted via Topify on Android

The fuselage term came right from Chrysler for the design of the 69 to 73 cars. . . . . The others....... Don't know but I hadn't heard the term Formal till about four/ five years ago.

The fuselage term came right from Chrysler for the design of the 69 to 73 cars.
Exactly, and here is one of several references to that.

The others, I don't know either. Wasn't "Slab Side" coined over on the C Body Drydock? Or was it just me reading about it there first? Dunno. "Slab" doesn't even characterize the concave styling of the sides of that era's Chryslers. But whatever the name, better to have one than having to describe it each and every time.

Were the Hurst 300s returned to Chrysler after Hurst was done with them or did Hurst ship them out directly to the dealer? If Hurst returned the cars to Chrysler for them to ship out, this could reflect the date/time the car was received back at Chrysler, So with Chrysler's usual "rapid" response time, that could easily have turned into a "completion" date of June...

I'm pretty sure it was that way, according to some recollections in the 300 Club Intl. publications they came together with the regular Chryslers to the dealerships, some said even forced on them as they seemed to have a hard time having this limited Edition sold.

I'm pretty sure it was that way, according to some recollections in the 300 Club Intl. publications they came together with the regular Chryslers to the dealerships, some said even forced on them as they seemed to have a hard time having this limited Edition sold.

I can easily believe that. Back in the mid '60s & '70s, I had a brother-in-law who was the zone manager for Chrysler in metro Toronto. When the '75 Cordoba came out the dealers couldn't get them in fast enough. He had dealers calling him at home and offering him all sorts of stuff to slip them an extra car or two. But he turned it around on them and ransomed the Cordobas. "You want a Cordoba? I've got some nice Satellite sedans you can have too! I'll give you five sedans and one Cordoba, OK?"

Priceless.

Wasn't the story something along these lines: Chrysler thought that Hurst would handle the marketing for the 300 Hurst and Hurst thought that it was all Chrysler's business to advertise that model. In the end, there was not much publicity for this special edition Chrysler, except a few articles written in car magazines. Oh, and let's not forget it was an expensive automobile.

I can't imagine Chrysler handing over a bunch of cars for modification, then telling that company "YOU sell them!". Hurst had NO dealership network. Besides, Hurst wasn't buying the cars from Chrysler for resale, they were modifying them FOR Chrysler so Chrysler dealerships could sell them. It was a poor job by Chrysler Corporation in promoting the car to sell! It was NOT the job of Hurst to promote OR sell these cars. Besides, nearly 500 were built and sold, right??? That's actually quite a few, when it comes down to it.

Wasn't the story something along these lines: Chrysler thought that Hurst would handle the marketing for the 300 Hurst and Hurst thought that it was all Chrysler's business to advertise that model. In the end, there was not much publicity for this special edition Chrysler, except a few articles written in car magazines. Oh, and let's not forget it was an expensive automobile.

That's the Basic Story, I even think Jim Wangers mentioned that Version in his memoirs "Glory Days" as he had a short stint there at the time. However this related only to Advertising/brochures. And this could be possible. If you take a look at how affairs were handled with the Hurst Oldsmobiles, there were brochures and press kits in traffic that have the Hurst Special Vehicle Division in Detroit as the Publisher. By that such a misunderstanding leading to delays and faults in Marketing could be possible.

Mine was sold in Nov. 1970 after the 71 modelyear had already started, so this Mo. St.Louis dealership at least had to push this one to get it off the Showroom floor.

Unless they kept it there for the visual attraction.

I hear more and more of dealerships keeping cars on the floor because they liked them. It wasn't like today's robot dealerships

I can't imagine Chrysler handing over a bunch of cars for modification, then telling that company "YOU sell them!". Hurst had NO dealership network. Besides, Hurst wasn't buying the cars from Chrysler for resale, they were modifying them FOR Chrysler so Chrysler dealerships could sell them. It was a poor job by Chrysler Corporation in promoting the car to sell! It was NOT the job of Hurst to promote OR sell these cars. Besides, nearly 500 were built and sold, right??? That's actually quite a few, when it comes down to it.

I agree Patrick. I think somebody in product planning had a wet dream about reviving the glory etc., associated with the early letter cars and rather than actually revive that practice (would have been an "M"?), got George Hurst to cobble up something that looked fancy/racy and could be reworked relatively quickly and easily. But throw in the ever constant disconnect between product planning and marketing and the results are pretty predictable. Not surprised that someone else indicated their car was sold new after the following model year had started. There are very likely a LOT of specialty vehicles that suffered that same fate. Somewhere I have an ad from the Detroit Free Press in the winter of 1971/72 where Ken Brown Chrysler Plymouth has an entire ROW of 440-4v Superbirds that were advertised for $2995 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I said at the time, I wished I could put my hands on $30k and go over and buy 10 of them and just put them away........

I never said that back then, Kevin. I, and no one I knew ever thought those "ugly" winged cars as a future collectable. Future collectable? We never heard of "future collectables". That was a term drummed up out of desperation for filler in the car mags during The Malaise Era when nothing current was exciting.

"Gawd, GM sent us their new car releases and it' nothing new except they all have Brougham models now"

"So how many columns can we fill with that?".

Back