Where is the VIN stamped on a 1971 Fury?

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So I have been looking for the vin number stamped into the shell of my Sport Fury but I actually don't know where to look for it. Can anyone help?

There are two,
1. On the cowl under the hood seal near the driver-side wiper pivot.
2. On the trunk rail under the weatherstrip near the hinge (on the side not the back)

Mine were filled with surface rust and needed a wire brush to expose.

Alan

Would the cowl location on a 69 Fury wagon be the location of the vin
All cars have two, I'm sure the cowl one is the same, I would guess the second one is under some weatherstrip or trim in the tailgate opening in the body not the hatch.

Alan

can anyone post actual pics of vin locations on the bodies of any of their 60's 70's cars
I've looked at all locations mentioned and have yet to find ONE onany of my 10 C bodies!
Thanks,
Tom Denkler
2 67 SF 4 speeds
1 300 L 4 speed
1 65 SF 4 speed
1 68 300 vert
1 300 J
3 79 300's

I was told a long time ago by a body guy that's all about Mopars. I don't recall if it was the VIN or the SO but one of them is stamped in the trunk lip on the driver side under the seal like stated above.

I will get pics of the VIN on my cowl, that will help for the 70 at least. As for VIN and SO numbers, up to 68 only SO numbers were stamped into the body in two places. Then from 1969 the VIN took over from the SO number.

Soooo, what's the SO number, my 69 wagon was an early 69.

SO number is Shipping Order number. That's not what you would be looking for. For a 1969 model it would look like D9 123456. The D is the plant (I just guessed that) and 9 is for 1969 and the rest is your last six digits of your VIN.

can anyone post actual pics of vin locations on the bodies of any of their 60's 70's cars
I've looked at all locations mentioned and have yet to find ONE onany of my 10 C bodies!
Thanks,
Tom Denkler
2 67 SF 4 speeds
1 300 L 4 speed
1 65 SF 4 speed
1 68 300 vert
1 300 J
3 79 300's

fendertag2.jpg

The numbers in the green box (SO#s) are what you are looking for on 1968 model year cars and older. 1967 cars and older also have the SPD (scheduled production date) in black box with the SO #.

what is the significance of the SO number. Can this be translated into a VIN number?
earlier in thread, it implies 67 doesn't have VIN stamped anywhere, only 69 and up.
Anyone know which is it?
Trying to find VIN on either of my 67 Fury's
Any help would be appreciated

what is the significance of the SO number. Can this be translated into a VIN number?
earlier in thread, it implies 67 doesn't have VIN stamped anywhere, only 69 and up.
Anyone know which is it?
The SO number bears no resemblance to the VIN number and I am pretty sure that there are no records of what SO numbers were on which cars with their VIN. I cannot say if maybe the old DMV records may have taken recordings of the SO and VIN numbers together in the past. I am sure there are others here that could comment on that.

Wolfen thanks for info.
2nd question: does any one know EXACTLY where vin would be stamped on car, maybe a pic?
I can't find it on either!

The 67's do NOT have the VIN on the body, the body does have numbers, a mix of SO, Plant codes and date codes.
The only way to tie a VIN to a shell on a 67 is the broadcast sheet, the broadcast sheet is the only place where the two are.
If the VIN tag on a 67 is removed there are NO other VIN on the car, the broadcast sheet is the only proof the two go together.

Alan

On 69 and later the secondary VIN locations on a C-Body are on the driver side cowl and the trunk rail near the hinge.

Alan

Anyone know which is it?
SO number is Shipping Order number. That's not what you would be looking for. For a 1969 model it would look like D9 123456. The D is the plant (I just guessed that) and 9 is for 1969 and the rest is your last six digits of your VIN.

The plant and year will be reversed on the body stamp. 9D 123456.

Back