J code VIN?

Christian-440

Reaction score
I have a 1966 New Yorker, and got myself curious one day. I have a book that gives the decode for the vins. I look and the book says that the 440, which I'm 90% sure was the only engine offered in the car that year, shows as a K code. My VIN shows a J code, the book says 426 HEMI or 340 6bbl...

Any Ideas? Misprint VIN? Incorrect book?
Snapchat-1501921236.jpg

Snapchat-884883442.jpg

Not an original engine car, so it doesn't much matter to me, just curious on opinions...
Thanks for whatever input given!

Our initial production '66 Newport came with a 383 2bbl, but the VIN code is for a 413. It is a 383 in the car. We bought it when it had 7100 miles on it from the original selling dealer as a used car when the '67s came out.

Why or how these mistakes happened has never been credibly explained, other than just "mistakes", that I have seen.

CBODY67

I have a 1966 New Yorker, and got myself curious one day. I have a book that gives the decode for the vins. I look and the book says that the 440, which I'm 90% sure was the only engine offered in the car that year, shows as a K code. My VIN shows a J code, the book says 426 HEMI or 340 6bbl...

Any Ideas? Misprint VIN? Incorrect book?
View attachment 642605

View attachment 642606

Not an original engine car, so it doesn't much matter to me, just curious on opinions...
Thanks for whatever input given!
Your book is wrong. I'm not sure what reference book that is, but the engine codes etc. can change from year to year. Download a real factory service manual here: MyMopar

Screen shot from the 1966 Chrysler Factory Service Manual:

1707262685324.png

Your book is wrong. I'm not sure what reference book that is, but the engine codes etc. can change from year to year. Download a real factory service manual here: MyMopar

Screen shot from the 1966 Chrysler Factory Service Manual:

View attachment 642614
That makes sense, it's more of an "engine build tip" book I was given. I kind of expected it to be slightly off, but the rest seemed pretty dead on...
Thank you for the correction!

I don't know about the 66 Factory Service Manual but the 67 Factory Service Manual is full of errors on the engine VIN codes

Alan

Does the '67 Chrysler parts book have an accurate VIN engine decode for ALL Chrysler cars, not just C-bodies?

For 1966 J code is 440.
K was used in later years for the " lo-po" 440, 67 and 68 if I remember correctly.

Does the '67 Chrysler parts book have an accurate VIN engine decode for ALL Chrysler cars, not just C-bodies?
I don't have access to a 67 Chrysler book but both the 67 Dart/Coronet/Charger and the 67 Polara/Monaco books have it correct.

Alan

Back