Where to buy reco'd booster and what rear shocks are people using? All I see listed is Air Shocks from the 80's!!!

Oz Sport Fury

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My booster is failing, some times works some times doesn't and you get oh SHEEEIT!!! hard peddle, just wondering where to buy reco'd booster, not much listed anywhere as all show zero stock?

Also what rear shocks are people using? All I see listed is Air Shocks from the 80's!!! I am going to buy the for the Front, KYBs as I have used them before and they work great!

But rear shocks are very limited??

Anyone had any experience with these spring/shock combos??

BCZC_58577_P04_FRO.jpg

Last edited:
You won't find a booster on the shelf. You will have to find a place that rebuilds your unit.

I have never heard anybody regret buying KYB's.

As far as the reconditioning of the brake booster I recommend Booster Dewey in Portland Or. They do very high quality brake booster reconditioning.

KYB 5512 gas adjust (62 to 78 fury rear) or 343159 excel-g....57-78 fury rear...what car is this for?

Hi Turboomni, I spent hours on KYBs site, Rockauto, Jegs, Summit etc...no one has anything listed for a rear except crappy air shocks from the 80's!!

KYB 5512 gas adjust (62 to 78 fury rear) or 343159 excel-g....57-78 fury rear...what car is this for?
Thanks man, I found them on Rockauto by searching part numbers not by vehicle make, such a cool site for parts comparisons, I am getting 2 sets now.

Thanks heaps guys for the help!

Just an FYI for the Exel-G vs Gas-A-Just models.

Gas-A-Just Monotube
Features:
  • Up to 25% more damping performance over original equipment shocks
  • Triple chrome-plated piston rod and multi-lip oil seals that reduce wear
  • Solid, seamless mounting eye rings and bolt bushings that can't separate and become noisy
  • Chemically bonded insulator mounting bushings that won't slip out
  • A Teflon-coated or phenolic piston band that reduces friction and provides a positive cylinder seal
  • Specially formulated hydraulic fluid with multi-range viscosity for any weather climate

I am going Gas-A-Just front and back from Rockauto, their shipping to Australia is considerably cheaper and faster than other big name shops.

1688688699125.png

Oh shoot ,I saw your Avatar and thought 69 Fury ,my apologies. So those won't work?

oh and make sure that the check valve on the booster is ok and there are no cracks or vacuum leaks on the hose going to it....if you click on the blue 5512 part number on the rockauto site it will bring up a box that shows all the models that part number fits

Last edited:
Do NOT waste money on the "spring assist" rear shocks. That's what was on my '70 Monaco when I got it. I went straight to Gabriel Hi-Jackers and never looked back. Only needed 60psi to level the sagged rear leaves (at a time when I did not trust any spring shop to redo them). Got better cornering, too! Now, if I wanted to put some N50-15s on the back, THEN I might need more pressure to clear the tires . . . but no need for that. One good thing, to me, is that the air shocks still have the larger pistons of the HD shocks of the 1970s, fwiw.

Now, as to the rear shocks, in RockAuto, sometimes you have to change the model year in the same platform in order to find some things. The shocks from about 1965 to 1973 are generally the same for C-bodies, especially the front. For some reason, the rears on the C-body sedans are not the same as for the C-body wagons, as the wagon shocks also fit B-bodies, for some reason. Been that way for ages.

CBODY67

As far as the reconditioning of the brake booster I recommend Booster Dewey in Portland Or. They do very high quality brake booster reconditioning.

POWER BRAKE BOOSTER EXCHANGE​

Home of Booster Dewey, Since 1990, Power Brake Booster Exchange
has been rebuilding vacuum brake boosters for classic,
muscle, and sports cars from our shop in Portland, Oregon.
We are now located in Lynnwood, Washington!

No longer in Oregon...... :)

Yeah don't throw out ANY booster. RockAuto among others used to sell them off the shelf reman back in the day. No more I don't believe. Mine went out a few years ago and Dewey was backed up over 8 weeks and it was driving season. I went to Rockauto and nothing for my 69 Fury but there was one [last one] for a 68. I made it work. They were out of everything else.

Monroe was Chrysler's shock absorber vendor. Their shocks, back in the later 1960s, even had the Monroe name stamped into them. By the middle 1970s, it was "MAECO" for Monroe Auto Equipment Company. That was then.

As to currently, I'm not sure that the old Monroe shocks are similar to what Monroe sells now. The SensaTracs (with their calibrated slots in the cylinder bores), I'm not sure they are as good as they claim, although the current Monroe-Matics have a piston diameter near what the old HD shocks had in them. Monroe-Matic used to be their "entry level/value" line. No more "standard", "HD", or similar names/levels, unfortunately. The Max-Air air shocks still have the larger piston diameter, too. Don't have to use the air section, if not desired!

I DO know that the Monroe Radial-Matics I put on the front of my '67 Newport are not as firm as the Super 500 line it replaced. Supposed to be "radial-tuned" (when that was a thing), but they feel the same either way, to me.

What I really liked on the front of the '66 Newport were the Gabriel Striders, adjusted 1 click firmer than the base setting. Combined with the Chrysler factory (parts book) HD shocks on the back, it was a good combination.

In current times, everybody talks about "new car ride" and "smooth", but I want "firmer than base stock", which nobody mentions, other than possibly KYB.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Hi Turboomni, I spent hours on KYBs site, Rockauto, Jegs, Summit etc...no one has anything listed for a rear except crappy air shocks from the 80's!!
You probably did not look correctly on Rockauto.
I found the KYB in 1 minute, for the 1972 Chrysler Newport.

1688828888390.png

As others, I strongly recommend Booster Dewey.
He did it for my '58 Plymouth, and I'm sending him my '70 as well.

Back