Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Matt's full of $*?!

Those colors are awesome. But I will admit you have be in a climate with 330 days of annual sunshine like I am right now. (care to figure out that riddle, lol?)

Hint: I saw Hall and oates last night :)

66-78-12.jpg

Has it gone down below a 100° yet?

Weatherdude said the heat wave is over, it was only 98 today. GORGEOUS here. Didn't turn the A/C on till past noon (seriously) here"s walking into H&O. See that fog? Those ADD humidity to cool things down. Then sat outside all night without a single bug. Try that in FL!

IMG_20160914_185528.jpg

IMG_20160914_191035.jpg

Matt's full of $*?!

Those colors are awesome. But I will admit you have be in a climate with 330 days of annual sunshine like I am right now. (care to figure out that riddle, lol?)

Hint: I saw Hall and oates last night :)
Pine Knob???:poke:

let me try this series of "hints" on the photo location. Compared to our other two tries, i feel like I'm making it too easy, but this outta do it :)

1. Dont look outside the USA
2. Dont look west of Pittsburgh, and its not in Pittsburgh
3. Dont look south of Washington DC, and its not Washington DC
4. Dont look north of Boston, and its not Boston
5. This location is 100 years old
6. You can stand exactly where the car was placed .. today.
7. Three posters here in this thread are "warm", one is really "toasty".

Cryptic hint alert: "Though there is no prize for finding it, this is a prized location".

So I predict by end of day today, probably by mid-day in the eastern time zone, there will be a picture of the location posted here.

If not, I'll post it myself tonight and we're done :)

let me try this series of "hints" on the photo location. Compared to our other two tries, i feel like I'm making it too easy, but this outta do it :)

1. Dont look outside the USA
2. Dont look west of Pittsburgh, and its not in Pittsburgh
3. Dont look south of Washington DC, and its not Washington DC
4. Dont look north of Boston, and its not Boston
5. This location is 100 years old
6. You can stand exactly where the car was placed .. today.
7. Three posters here in this thread are "warm", one is really "toasty".

Cryptic hint alert: "Though there is no prize for finding it, this is a prized location".

So I predict by end of day today, probably by mid-day in the eastern time zone, there will be a picture of the location posted here.

If not, I'll post it myself tonight and we're done :)
The Northeast Corridor. The most densely populated area in the United States.
Thanks.

66-73.jpg
66-75.jpg

The Pulitzer Fountain, built 1916, Central Park South at Fifth Avenue, mid-town Manhattan.

Photo taken looking south, to the north is Central Park, to the right (West) is the Plaza Hotel, to the left (East) is the former GM Building (the Apple Cube Store is in front of it now, but I have been there many times the past 20 years - so that's how i knew the place at first glance).

The 1979 Brochure has this photo of same car.

66-76-2.jpg

The awning sign is the "Sherry-Netherland" on Fifth Avenue. Its still there. Cross the street toward the lower left, catacorner 200 feet from the Escalade, and you're at the Puliter Fountain.

66-76-1.jpg

In the other thread with the 1970 New Yorker, our collective reasoning was "where else" would a "New Yorker" be photographed. That plus the limestone facades narrowed the search area.

So for this "game" with the 1979 photo --- a "big-city" fountain backdrop, a New Yorker Fifth Avenue edition vehicle, a Google search of "New York City Fountains" might have worked to cut down the search area dramatically. The other brochure photo woulda put an "X" on the map to also cut down the search area.

These darn fountains are ALL over Europe. The Pulitzer Fountain is in fact modeled after a fountain in Paris. So I tried early on to take Europe off the table. and practically speaking, Chrysler was in no financial condition to do this shoot overseas anyway in 1978.

So many MORE things were in our favor with this 1979 photo JUST from the picture alone and search techniques from the other two threads.

In contrast? Hardly ANYTHING in this brochure picture .. except the logic of LIKELY location in greater NYC area somewhere .. would help find the location. None of us has that kinda time and patience to scour 50,000 potential locations. Heck, this one could even be "staged" indoors in a studio.

66-77.jpg

Parting shot .. the ever-present MM, cooling her heels at the Pulitzer Fountain, circa 1958.

66-74.jpg

Last edited:
I had thought of Central Park when I agreed with Times Square simply because I first visited it five years ago with my wife. We went to see a Dave Matthews concert at the United Palace Theater and spent the day walking through New York City and a few hours in Central Park. A very interesting place, with history and geography.

Thanks for this particular game

I have been to this location (New Jersey, looking east across the Hudson) too, as many NYC tourists/locals might have. Other than an obvious location and easy to identify, its a nice shot but too "poignant"

66-77.jpg

I almost used this one for the St. Regis .. I know this place too -- but you can't read the sign on the building, so its just too "generic" otherwise for the "game"

66-78.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that the car is a New Yorker Fifth Avenue would have been the ultimate clue :BangHead:

It was .. and in plain sight in the photo .. which is why I didn't "use it" as a written clue. Like most mysteries, the obvious clues "jump out" looking back :)

I'm disappointed the game was over by the time I found the thread. Let's do another !

I agree. I have been in all three, and started this one obviously.

If one of you starts another one, and if you know the location (probably a good thing as we can be sure there is a reliable answer to the mystery), I guess ya gotta decide on whether "clues" will be given, versus letting folks who like this kinda stuff enjoy the pursuit.

I guess I coulda let this one go longer, and I did after saying i'd post location last night. Folks were zeroing in on it near the end, but from early on NYC got pegged, so i was sure it wouldn't last past 15-20 posts.

That's another thing for the "writer" to consider if she/he starts the "game" and who also knows the location beforehand .. how long to let it run, which depends on if the picture is easy or hard. Too easy, NO challenge. Too hard, NO fun.

A pic like this one? Whether I knew where it was or not, i'd say its too hard. So I wouldnt pick it to start the thread, or participate in the search WITHOUT more clues ... otherwise you just can't find it!

66-76.jpg

So, who's next up? :)

Last edited:
I say no clues and no predetermined end time, especially not a short one.

Yes helpful if the one who starts it off knows the location but that may limit our game options

I say no clues and no predetermined end time, especially not a short one.

Yes helpful if the one who starts it off knows the location but that may limit our game options

Yes, i favor no written clues, and no pre-determined end too. Just a personal preference. Others may view it differently and that's cool too.

I guess it depends on the 'degree of difficulty" inherent in the picture, and whether we want it to be "fun" (my vote is for fun) for more people, versus just the "hard-core" puzzlers with lots of time on their hands to scan the planet for obsure locations :)

Back