Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

There was an excellent guess on Game in #118.. but its not Cincinnati Ohio, nor any other Ohio city. There is a river closeby.

These hints should help further narrow the search area. And only ONE city in the blue circle is the possible answer given the illustration and the clues provided.

66-72-61.jpg

Additional info for Clue 3.

Clue 3(a). This building had the businessman's name on it -- those unreadable white letters at the top.

66-72-7.jpg

Clue 3(b). All these buildings I put arrows on, re-arranged by the illustrator, are/were in this city. Most all are downtown office buildings, but one is actually a public housing complex (since torn down). So, if you think you're onto something please keep this re-positioning by the illustrator in mind.

Also, if using photos to pin this city down, photos from 1960-1990 would be more useful -- focusing on the TALLEST structures (their shape/architecture -- and again NOT their false positioning in this illustration).

66-72-7.jpg

Last edited:
Game #118.

Clue 3(c). This is not a misdirection. "2+2 = 4", so to speak, so don't overthink this clue - BUT some "retro-sleuthing" on the trail of breadcrumbs from this image to the puzzle solution may still be needed. :)

If still unsolved, I'll post answer tomorrow and then we're done with this one.

66-72-72.jpg

Last edited:
Let's dive right in. There were a couple of really great guesses from Zymurgy and dobalovr.

This is Detroit Michigan. The orientation of the illustration is looking SOUTH toward Canada and the Detroit River.

When I first saw it, I knew several of the buildings, but they were "out of place" relative to each other. But NO DOUBT many were downtown Detroit structures.

Note there is NO other position along an imaginary 180 degree arc (the flat side of the arc being the Detroit River) that would put these buildings in the proper location versus each other.

So, lets look at some of the buildings identified.

66-72-71.jpg

Right in the middle of the illustration, is the Hudson's Department Store, once the biggest department store in the world. Distinctive shape, with the flagpole on top and the "Hudson's" name. It was imploded in 1998. You can use its position in the photo to see how in REAL life, the illustrator has moved things around.

66-72-9.jpg
66-72-10.jpg

I tend to like these implosions .. but this was actually a sad day for longtime Detroiters.

Then below, the Broderick Tower and the David Whitney building, in real life just across the street from each other, and just NORTH of the Hudson Department Store on Woodward. The illustrator has clearly taken "liberties" with their placement.

Photo below is looking SOUTH on Woodward. First photo above of the Hudson's building is looking NORTH on Woodward, and you can see The Broderick Tower and Whitney Buildings just up the street.

66-72-12.jpg

The tallest building in the illustration is Book Tower below. It is to the WEST of Woodward and one of the most recognizable buildings in Detroit to this day.

66-72-75.jpg
66-72-76.jpg

The Stott Building, in the illustration AND in real life, its ABOUT in the proper place vis-a-vis the Hudson's Building BUT too far to the WEST. You can also see it in the first photo of the Book Tower above.

66-72-78.jpg

I can identify 14 more downtown Detroit buildings, and even one from 2 miles away in "Mid-Town" (near the OLD GM HQ building) .. but you get the point i hope :)

The clues:

1. Self evident now. Detroit is East of Mississippi, North of the Ohio, and West of Pittsburg. BUT, so are a LOT of cities. So, Clue 2 and Clue 3 to cut down the search.

2. The big GREEN SPACE between the car and the skyline didnt exist in Detroit -- its a completely urban area since the late 19th century. PLUS there is NO elevation -- its virtually flat as pancake within 20 miles of downtown -- that would allow that vantage point versus downtown. 100% artistic license by the illustrator.

Today, Comerica Park, Ford Field, and I-75 (Fisher Freeway) are there. 60 years ago there were a great many buildings - and Fisher Freeway - standing there.

3. This clue was designed to separate Detroit from Cleveland, Dayton, Cincinnati, Toledo, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, et.al -- the likely cities with BIG downtowns and several TALL buildings.

a. I singled out the Hudson's building. Told it was imploded (note had you googled "downtown implosions in michigan", the first hit might have been video above and you were in Detroit :) ).

Joseph L Hudson, the department store magnate, was an investor in Hudson Motor Car, formed in Detroit in 1909. He let the other investors use his good name. If you identified THAT building, it put you in Detroit and NO OTHER city.​

b. I indicated you should look for 1960-1990 era photos IF you had a hunch .. just the TALL buildings in the illustration and look for the shapes. NO other city in the search zone has ALL these buildings.​

DETROIT - 1960. Looking NORTH on Woodward.​

4 dlee.jpg

Hudsons, Book Tower, Whitney, Stott .. all there. The tallest NOT in the picture (in fact, this photo likely was taken from it) is the Penobscot Building which was actually the tallest in Detroit (fourth tallest in USA for a bit) until the Renaissance Center in 1976.

Note it was NOT in the illustration .. in real life the Penobscot WOULD have been clearly visible as the tallest structure by far. More artistic license by illustrator to leave out the one of most recognizable buildings in the world at the time.

c. The insect image was from the AMC Hornet emblem. AMC was formed from the Hudson Motor Car and Nash Kelvinator merger in 1954. The "Hornet" name came from Hudson, namely the Hudson Hornet.​

66-72-79.jpg

This was a challenging puzzle. As with MOST of these games, the structures are the key usually. Identify them, and you're done. The clues, well I try cut down the search area from anywhere in the world, to a managable area -- but also not "give it away" either such that its no challenge at all.

Anyway, once again, hope one of you 'hosts" one one day. I will again if I find a suitable photo :)

Last edited:
I didn't even think about Detroit, I was looking at other cities but didn't look in our own backyard.

I didn't even think about Detroit, I was looking at other cities but didn't look in our own backyard.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I kept looking at it, and looking at it ... first thought was "naw, that's not Detroit .. but it sure looks like it".

Then, I started recognizing the buildings spread out where they didnt belong. And then NO Penobscot building .. the one with the "big Red Ball" I learned as a kid .. the most iconic Detroit building for 30 years (by 1959).

The illustrator still trying to disguise Detroit as "Anywhere, USA" :)

13.jpg

14.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg

66-72-01.jpg

Forgot .. I had one left. Had it on early last month with the Chrysler 200 ... nobody posted a solution for this one.

So, where in the world is this??. City and state. One tough baby for the answer.

One clue: Just look up (not a trick, not a red herring).

Bonus tough baby meme if someone can find the exact place where this vehicle was parked. If your google earth/map aerial skills are "rusty", here's where you can practice to answer bonus question :).

66-72-0.jpg

I never put 2 and 2 together that the Hudson department store was owned by the same man as the Hudson car co.
A little fun fact the auto repair shop I work for was started in 1947 by my bosses grandfather and it was a Hudson dealer.

Game #126 is solved.

Two members have the city and state. One of them has also answered the much harder bonus question too. I am sure the second member is closing in on the bonus location as well cuz he's "in the neighborhood".

The game will end this Friday night if nobody posts answer.

In the meantime, if these folks choose to post, or let it run, its their call. thanks guys for participating in any event!

As always I will recognize their participation if they don't post, in the order they contacted me.

When this one ends, I'm outta this business as I currently don't have any more places that i know. still hopin' one of you all can offer one of these up.:)

Game #126.

Two tough babies for clhyer for getting city and state and bonus. One tough baby for 65sporty for getting the city and state, plus a darn good quess on the exact location. Thanks fellas for letting the game run.

66-78-11.jpg
66-78-12.jpg

The city and state is Detroit Michigan. Downtown, taken from the parking structure at 1110 Randolph St.

66-72-00.jpg

Somewhere in green or red circles on the top level of the parking structure, more like the green one I think, the Caravan was parked.

So, the photo above is looking toward the SOUTHWEST. the arrows show the various buildings in the line of sight to the Penobscot Building, the second tallest in Detroit and the centerpiece building behind the Caravan.

The one clue was "just look up". To post #125 where I put up the Penobscot. The harder part was, perhaps, was navigating Google Map/Earth to "fly around" to get the right "point of view" the photographer had.

You can't land "Mr. Peg-man" on the roof of parking structures. The Google "Street View" camera rigs tend to always stay on the surface streets given the clearance (8+ feet it looks like) they need.

Untitled.jpg

So you gotta flatten out the image (a bit more than I did in the screencapture above), and perhaps use some imagination to picture yourself standing where the car was (had to be open roof, elevated, etc) , and you will see all the buildings I put arrows on.

That's all I got folks. Thanks for playing along. Again, maybe one of you will give gameshow host a shot. :)

Last edited:
I see from your pic where I was looking and where the location of the structure is. I see the difference now. I need more practice with google earth. Your tips help though.

I see from your pic where I was looking and where the location of the structure is. I see the difference now. I need more practice with google earth. Your tips help though.

yeah, you were right there -- just on other side of Penobscot on the Joe/Cobo parking structures (red circles). 180 degrees (green circle) is the Randolph structure.

1.jpg

The 2D function in Map "Earth View" with the compass wheel and simultaneous mouse/button work could have given the "line of sight" perspective needed to pin this one down .. at least thats how i did it.

maybe clhyer can chime in if he sees this and report what he did to find the right parking structure.

im still kind of a "minor leaguer" with Google Map and Earth tools. Enough skill to have fun with it, like with these puzzles, but not much else beyond that :).

thanks for playing!

Last edited:
65sporty & blue...
I do not have Google Map and Earth (I don't think). I am using a map feature on my Mac, simply called "Maps". It gives a pretty good 3D view - make that a fair representation. N-S & E-W are fine, but height is a bit tricky. You have to move around a bit and catch the height by estimation as the building "falls" away.

In the last puzzle, it was fairly easy. The original pic of the Penobscot building was where I started from; and looking down upon that building it is shaped like a capital "H". Original pic had a side shot , so I could discern from the aerial shot that the line of sight ran either ENE to SSW or WNW to ESE through the building to get that view.. Back to the original pic, I could see the building to the right of Penobscot was a white building also in an "H" or "U" configuration. In Maps I panned around the Penobscot building and seen it next door. With that building identified I knew my line of sight ran ENE. OK, back to the original pic again - there is a triangular building to the immediate left. At this point I just followed my line of sight from the Penobscot building ENE looking for a triangular building and located the Detroit water & sewage tower. From there, it was simply looking around for the vantage spot that would put the tower to my left and the Penobscot and white U building beside it in my line of sight. The top floor, south corner of the parking deck on Randolph St. fit this perfectly. (the green circle Ray placed on the deck)

Reading through that last paragraph may sound difficult. However, if you take one sentence at a time and look at the pics and map to follow it I think it will be pretty easy to follow my thought process and logic. I will have to look at Google maps to see how that works,

I also might add here, that I have about 45 years of working with aerial photos, sometimes looking for that "needle in a haystack"! More than once I would be talking with a customer on the phone and I would say - just a second, let me pull up the aerial shot of the farm so I can understand what you are telling me better. Into the conversation I might casually ask "what is that tractor out behind the barn, looks like it has been sitting there awhile, is it that old International (or John Deere)"? Sometimes there would be dead silence for a minute!!!
C

Looking for slammed Mopars, I stumbled across another game photo (it turned up in a Google search). So new game.

4 dlee.jpg

First. this IS downtown Detroit Michigan. But where exactly?

I knew it was Detroit all most instantly, but I did NOT know exactly where car was parked -- so I had to find it.

Clues.

1. If you don't refer to earlier clues from other Detroit-based puzzles, it'll will be hard get to the right part of downtown Detroit.

2. Everything visible in photo is still there and looks the same (the colors may be enhanced/look different in daylight because its night and typical touch-ups by the ad agencies).

And, I lightened the actual photo a bit .. it helped me get my bearings.

3. If your "aerial" skills for Google Earth/Maps or some other tool, you might struggle with this one. You need the proper "line of sight" so you must navigate through Google Map "Earth/Street" views, including "2D" settings.

You will NOT be able to get this exact view of the 300 -- hence a Bonus question: Why not?

Correct answer is "The 300 is parked on ________ Street, between _______ St and _________ St."

The Bonus Question - why can't you get this ad photo view of the car? -- gets you two tough babies :)

Game ends Thursday night. PM me with questions/guesses if you want.

Good luck. :)

65sporty & blue...
I do not have Google Map and Earth (I don't think). I am using a map feature on my Mac, simply called "Maps". It gives a pretty good 3D view - make that a fair representation. N-S & E-W are fine, but height is a bit tricky. You have to move around a bit and catch the height by estimation as the building "falls" away.

In the last puzzle, it was fairly easy. The original pic of the Penobscot building was where I started from; and looking down upon that building it is shaped like a capital "H". Original pic had a side shot , so I could discern from the aerial shot that the line of sight ran either ENE to SSW or WNW to ESE through the building to get that view.. Back to the original pic, I could see the building to the right of Penobscot was a white building also in an "H" or "U" configuration. In Maps I panned around the Penobscot building and seen it next door. With that building identified I knew my line of sight ran ENE. OK, back to the original pic again - there is a triangular building to the immediate left. At this point I just followed my line of sight from the Penobscot building ENE looking for a triangular building and located the Detroit water & sewage tower. From there, it was simply looking around for the vantage spot that would put the tower to my left and the Penobscot and white U building beside it in my line of sight. The top floor, south corner of the parking deck on Randolph St. fit this perfectly. (the green circle Ray placed on the deck)

Reading through that last paragraph may sound difficult. However, if you take one sentence at a time and look at the pics and map to follow it I think it will be pretty easy to follow my thought process and logic. I will have to look at Google maps to see how that works,

I also might add here, that I have about 45 years of working with aerial photos, sometimes looking for that "needle in a haystack"! More than once I would be talking with a customer on the phone and I would say - just a second, let me pull up the aerial shot of the farm so I can understand what you are telling me better. Into the conversation I might casually ask "what is that tractor out behind the barn, looks like it has been sitting there awhile, is it that old International (or John Deere)"? Sometimes there would be dead silence for a minute!!!
C

I am not Apple user BUT what you described was the only way it could be done. :) Thanks!

Full disclosure here .. clhyer's "line of sight" techniques were better than mine. When he gave me his answer, I had to correct my positioning.

Now I know why .. as many of you might (i have seen several of you do it in other threads quite masterfully), he knows how to "read" aerial photos really well. Just need a tool (Mac Maps or Google Maps, etc.) you can manipulate.

There's a new game in #133. "Line of sight" determination, unless you took the original picture, is key to solving that one. :)

Game #133 is in the bag too.

one member has nailed it -- location and bonus. another member has location and seems like just a matter of time before he gets the bonus.

if they decide to let it run, I am going to end this game early on tuesday and recognize them (other any others who know but decide to let it run) then.

we'll see how it goes.

Game #133.

66-78-10.jpg
66-78-11.jpg

Two tough babies for 65sporty for getting exact location and bonus question. One tough baby for clhyer for getting the exact location.

4 dlee.jpg

This ad photo above is on Farmer Street, between Grand River and Gratiot looking northwesterly.

I have added several views below, and identified the relevant buildings in the "line of sight".

The tallest building in the white 300 photo ad is the Book Tower .. up there by the Moon and repeatedly identified in the past two games above. That was your starting point .. then you "fly around" or "drive around" that building looking the "line of sight" that comes closest to the 300 photo.

4 dlee 1.jpg

4 dlee 2.jpg

4 dlee 3.jpg

4 dlee 4.jpg

As you can see, you can't really get a Google/Apple map photo from the exact spot where the white 300 was parked.

The first photo I added, the black car MAY be about (perhaps white 300 was even a bit further south, or to the LEFT in the ad photo) where the white 300 was parked. You can see the chain-link fence next to the black car .. same fence that's behind the white 300.

Moreover, the white 300 was parked UNDER the elevated rail system (the People Mover - look in the extreme upper right of ad photo and you can see the bottom of elevated, concrete track) that encircles downtown Detroit.

The white 300 photo has a low-angle perspective that CANNOT be captured by the satellite OR the street view tools -- that rail system structure is in the way.
Plus, the cameras they (Apple/Google) use are EIGHT feet above street level -- so you can't quite get the low angle.

That answers the Bonus question - why can't you duplicate the white 300 shot?.

Last, the fourth photo above, giving another line of sight depiction, is also a "trivia" question. That big open space at ground level was where the old Hudson's Department Store was. They built an underground parking structure there that doubles as the foundation for erecting new buildings atop it someday -- looks kinda funny now but its forward thinking. :)

Thanks for playing along.

Last edited:
We'll try a couple EZ ones before Christmas -- if this thread has any legs. :) If not, then its been fun.

This one is pretty easy. 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe.
00-2.jpg

Three hints.

1. We've had this US city before - east of Pittsburgh/north of Washington DC
2. Though a 65 year old "night" setting, the skyline is still recognizable.
3. Illustration does not appear to "shopped" in any way.

One tough baby meme for city, state, and the river. One bonus baby meme for the landmark building featured prominently in one other game in this thread.

No extra tough babies for naming three or four buildings -- but if you recognize them though point' em out if you don't mind? :)

PM me if you want to validate your answer.

Back