Which Battery to get at Costco

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
Time for another battery. Costco’s book only goes back to the 90’s.

What would be a good one to get from there?

1968 Chrysler 383 automatic just regular street driving.

(If anyone asks why there, I’m a business member (so I get money back), good return policy and no complaints on previous battery purchases.)

The group size is the physical measurements. Any aftermarket battery from anywhere you buy it will have more power than the one that came in the car. You can't over power the system. So, go big or go home. My car has the battery that was in it when i bought it, its a 24. It looks like a 27 would fit in the box. So there's quite a bit of room left which looks silly.

I have to ask why a Group 27? The size? CCA? Or?
As I understand it, yes, you can't overpower the system, but you can underpower it. Smaller lead-acid batteries (until recently) were often not "strong" enough for things like basic cold cranking amps. That doesn't hold true so much any more, but...

A group 27 fits the battery tray and hold down clamp properly in our C bodies, and will still have the minimum capabilities.

Group 24 was the base battery size for every Chrysler product, back then, IIRC. Group 27, which is larger was optional.

Group 24 is physically smaller and has less power and reserve power than a Group 27. When time comes for replacement, "bigger can be better".

Reasoning always appeared to be that with the larger B/RB engines, generally 4 headlights, a/c, and other power requirements on the system, the Group 27 would be better and allow the car to operate best. Might even decrease the amount of discharge at idle at night, at a stop light. And, of course, a "big car needs a big battery"? So that's what I always bought and gladly paid the higher price, knowing it was "the best" I could get.

In modern times, with advances in basic battery technology (and sealed batteries), newer versions usually have more power than they did back in the 1970s. Which means a physically smaller battery CAN have more power than the older, larger batteries did. As in a Group 24 battery can have more power than a prior Group 27 battery. You can find the OEM specs for them in the appropriate Chrysler factory service manual or in the sales order guides at www.hamtramck-historical.com .

As to cable post positions, the difference between a 27 and 27F battery is that the terminal positions are switched for FORD applications on the 27F. For Chrysler and other normal applications, when the battery posts are on the "firewall side" of the engine compartment (not the "core support side", the negative post is nearest the engine, so the ground cable goes to the first lh side intake manifold/a/c bracket hold down bolt. On the 27F and 24F Ford applications, the positive terminal is nearest the engine, reversed from the normal 27 and 24 applications.

Generally, the more months of warranty and "free replacement period", the more powerful the battery, in any size. Your judgment call on that. Which can mean that if you use the car a lot and daily, leaning toward the more capacity might be best. If you suspect the vehicle might sit a lot, DO get some sort of trickle charger to hook up to it as a run-down battery is NOT generally a cause for warranty replacement (unless the battery has failed internally and will not hold a charge, after charging for several hours).

Be aware, too, that in the "free replacement" orientation. There is only ONE warranty. That one starts with the purchase of the battery itself. Any replacements under that warranty do not extend the basic warranty period. In other words, the initial warranty does not start over with each warranty replacement. Be sure to verify that in the battery warranty documents!

ONE last thing, keep the sales receipt in a safe and COOL place, in some sort of compartment. When all I could afford was WalMart batteries, the clerk would suggest using some clear, wide tape to attach the sales receipt to the battery itself. Sounds reasonable in order to keep up with it, right? UNTIL you later realize that being (generally) a "heat print" paper receipt, the engine head faded the images on the receipt, making it unreadable. Which basically renders the battery unwarrantiable. Only possible saving grace is the "burn code", usually hidden under a label, but possibly in plain sight, which is the production date code (month and year) for the battery. All must have them, I believe. But finding an employee who knows what that is and can then decipher it, might be a trick?

The old pro-rated warranty has been replaced by the "free replacement period", so keep and COPY those receipts . . . safe, FINDABLE, and cool!

Sorry for the length,
CBODY67

I'm pretty sure group 24 and 27 were the most popular sizes hands down, back in the '70's and beyond, if you don't include the GM products with the side screw terminals.

One other thing, the Group 27 battery, being the largest size the battery tray is configured to hold, just look better under the hood. Like it belongs there. The Group 24 battery just looks a bit small, to me. IF you live in a colder environment, larger can be better. If you live in a hotter environment, with "hot heat soaks" happening in the hotter months, larger can be better, too.

As I understand it, yes, you can't overpower the system, but you can underpower it. Smaller lead-acid batteries (until recently) were often not "strong" enough for things like basic cold cranking amps. That doesn't hold true so much any more, but...

A group 27 fits the battery tray and hold down clamp properly in our C bodies, and will still have the minimum capabilities.

Yes. The hold-down bracket is pretty much useless with any battery other than a Group 27.

With a non stock tray you can just barely fit in a group 65. Thats what I have. Its longer and wider but shorter than a grp 27. I had a good used one from an Explorer and was determined to make it fit. 850CCA

You can make your own tray without much trouble. 65 cost a little less than 27 too.

Last edited:
I have to ask why a Group 27? The size? CCA? Or?
As others have pointed out, group 27 batteries can provide more cold cranking amps (CCA) and also have more duration (not umph, but a longer amount of time to provide the umph). However, newer technology has been able to provide increased power density, which means that one can get the power of an older group 27 in a group 24 case.

Bottom line is understanding the requirements of your powerplant and selecting something that provides that or more.

A couple things.... If you get a group 27 battery, be sure it's not a "27F". The "F" means Ford. The battery is identical except the negative and positive posts are swapped. They'll work, but the cables end up being stretched to make up for it. (I see now that @CBODY67 covered that)

Marine and Car batteries are a little different, with marine batteries having thicker plates that allow for longer discharge time. A car battery is designed for a shorter, but higher amperage discharge. They are also rated differently, MCA (Marine Cranking Amperage) versus CCA. The MCA is rated at 32 degrees and CCA at 0 degrees. So, if you see a marine battery rated at 500MCA and a car battery at 500CCA, the car battery is actually more powerful because that marine battery amperage will drop off when the temperature goes down. If you were to match the CCA rating in a marine battery, it would be larger in overall size.

So, technically, yes, a marine battery can be used, but it's not going to be as powerful and it's going to be heavier.

BTW, Costco has the best prices on batteries! After looking at the Interstate battery site (I need a battery for something myself) it looks like there is M27 and MT27 with the MT27 looking like the better battery.

Last edited:
While it's likely available, because the original poster is in Canada, sadly, not all things available at Costco USA show up on Costco Canada's site.

Yes. The hold-down bracket is pretty much useless with any battery other than a Group 27.
C'mon, guys. You're all over thinking this.

1685629180645.png

Back