which Hedman Headers to Chrysler 300 1969??

smyk36

Reaction score
Hello. i have a Chrysler 300 69’ i would like to know if this headers it be ok without modification.

Hedman 78030
or
Hedman 78070

500-78030.jpg

500-78070.jpg

I am not sure but I would really reconsider and stick to some factory HP exhaust manifolds, whatever performance upgrade will not be worth the trouble.

Dave

The shorties fit my 66 with a mini starter and no other changes.

The other ones MIGHT fit with some minor tweaking but there are conflicting reports on this. Everything from slight dimpling of a couple tubes to you can't beat them into submission with a sledge.

Kevin

I had initially thought about installing headers on my 69 Fury 440 but was convinced by many here and in my area to not do so. But may I ask what is the car not doing for you now? I would guess the acceleration is not what you want. If this is the case you could instead of headers install a better rear axle ratio and add a sure grip and if you don,t already have them get a set of HP exhaust manifolds too. What is your present rear axle ratio?

I'm dealing with this very issue right now, here's what I've learned. TTI makes a full length header that's pricey, but buy all accounts, fits well. Schumacher makes a tri-y style header that supposedly fits, and requires removing the steering column to install. Hedmen shorties fit with some modifications, but I've not found any info on the full length one. And finally, Sanderson DD-2 block huggers, do not fit. I own a set and they absolutely will not clear the steering box. I'm more than willing to modify or slightly alter anything to make things fit, but with these there's no chance. Good luck, keep us posted, I'd like to know how you make out.

I did a review of the Hedman shorties and my X-pipe exh on the Drydock some years ago, don't know if it's verboten to link to other sites, but that's where the info is. Gosh that's been 10 years already! Is installed on my white Fury in my sigpic.

I had some difficulties in tuning the car afterward, I later learned that the issue was the POS Eddy 750 carb, which the headers perhaps aggravated. I installed an 800EPS maybe 4 years ago and things got a lot better. I am running a 69 T-code 440 and its original tiny 256° cam, Eddy Performer intake, and the carb mentioned (all else stock).

I don't know if these are superior in performance to HP manifolds, but considering they are cheaper and faster/easier to find I don't think you can go wrong with them. If you have standard log manifolds you'll need to modify your headpipes for either HP manifolds or the shorties.

My headers are still in decent shape, they have some flashrust on them as I don't drive the car as regularly as I used to, but still no leaks or anything. I've had none of the header issues that give headers a bad name. I used a particular brand of copper gasket (one that has a small SAP opening, and not the bigger squarish max-wedge port size like most copper gaskets). I initially tried a set that had that larger size and one header/gasket leaked at a corner of one tube (but they would've been fine for sealing a manifold).

I'm frugal with my money, so I won't buy an $800 set of headers, or a $550 set of headers, when a $200 set will work probably nearly as well. And I liked them so much I bought a 2nd set to install on something else, just in case!

Forums / Performance Tech / Hedman shorty header review - C-Body DryDock
Forums / Performance Tech / Hedman shorties, X-pipe kit, TTI tailpipes - C-Body DryDock
Fotki became a pay-site, so the links in these threads go to a suspended page...

I have the full length Hedman 78030 headers on my 1967 New Yorker with a 440. I had to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine about an inch, then they slipped right in. I did not have to dimple or dent any tubes for clearance. I was also able to keep the original OEM starter too. The driver side collector does hang a little low and may be a problem if your car is lowered.

The shorter "B" block such as a 383 or 400 may have issues but I didn't have any with the "RB" block.
aIMG_2088.jpg

DSC00617.JPG

Thanks for the direct feedback, Kc.

What kind of performance increase did you see with the longtubes?
What exhaust size/configuration did you have beforehand? Or were the headers the only change?
How well do the collectors align toward the cutouts in the crossmember? Did you need sharp bends toward the rockerpanels to hit the cutouts?

(for those not aware, A-B-E cars have the cutouts closer to the trans, C-bodies are moved outward toward the rockers a bit)

For current reference:
Longtubes are $185, have 3.0" collectors.
Shorties are $221, have 2.5" collectors.
Both are 1-3/4" tubes.
Black or silver ceramic coated shorties are ~$470.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...4294924002&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Performance?? It's a stock drivetrain in a big ol' honking New Yorker. It can do triple digit speeds on the highway and still get single digit MPG's around town!

I installed the full length headers with 2.5in exhaust for their aesthetics and sound.
The top picture I posted above is the stock manifold the headers replaced.

The collector on the driver's side angles slightly downward and the exhaust is a little lower than I prefer. It's not a problem with the car at stock ride height. Regardless of header/manifold or size of exhaust pipe, dual exhaust on any auto trans, full sized Chrysler is going to have a bunch of bends to clear the torsion bars and transmission. Plan to tip your exhaust guy a little extra.

KC -
I asked because my car ran stronger afterward, I just wondered if you noticed any more bottom-end with the longtubes? I guess that's the feedback I was looking for. Do you have column shifter? Did the headers clear that? I presume not?

Reference for everybody:
Here are the pipes I made for my shorties. Used 45deg mandrel bends from Summit and 22.5° angle bends that are slightly crinkle-bent. They actually got to the crossmember pretty nicely for a home-brewed job. Below is a pic from TTI's page on how their headers hook up.
I'm thinking that the pipes for the shorties would flow better, but they have a smaller collector.
Would be nice to have chassis dyno data for various setups, but that's not gonna happen unless I hit a lottery or something.

upload_2016-9-2_10-57-13.png

upload_2016-9-2_11-1-11.png

Really nice job fury fan. :thumbsup:

I did a review of the Hedman shorties and my X-pipe exh on the Drydock some years ago, don't know if it's verboten to link to other sites, but that's where the info is. Gosh that's been 10 years already! Is installed on my white Fury in my sigpic.

I had some difficulties in tuning the car afterward, I later learned that the issue was the POS Eddy 750 carb, which the headers perhaps aggravated. I installed an 800EPS maybe 4 years ago and things got a lot better. I am running a 69 T-code 440 and its original tiny 256° cam, Eddy Performer intake, and the carb mentioned (all else stock).

I don't know if these are superior in performance to HP manifolds, but considering they are cheaper and faster/easier to find I don't think you can go wrong with them. If you have standard log manifolds you'll need to modify your headpipes for either HP manifolds or the shorties.

My headers are still in decent shape, they have some flashrust on them as I don't drive the car as regularly as I used to, but still no leaks or anything. I've had none of the header issues that give headers a bad name. I used a particular brand of copper gasket (one that has a small SAP opening, and not the bigger squarish max-wedge port size like most copper gaskets). I initially tried a set that had that larger size and one header/gasket leaked at a corner of one tube (but they would've been fine for sealing a manifold).

I'm frugal with my money, so I won't buy an $800 set of headers, or a $550 set of headers, when a $200 set will work probably nearly as well. And I liked them so much I bought a 2nd set to install on something else, just in case!

Forums / Performance Tech / Hedman shorty header review - C-Body DryDock
Forums / Performance Tech / Hedman shorties, X-pipe kit, TTI tailpipes - C-Body DryDock
Fotki became a pay-site, so the links in these threads go to a suspended page...

Thanks for all the info, I'll read the links when I get home later. I've got the log manifolds on her for now and I'll probably run it as is for the time being. I really want to let her breathe a little, but I'm so close to the finish line on this project that I simply want to start and drive this damn car now. I can swap the headers in later, I guess. I was planning on saving up for the TTIs but now I'm going to have to take a hard look at these others, for no other reason than the cost. Thanks again, and I'll post some more updates as I progress.

KC -
I asked because my car ran stronger afterward, I just wondered if you noticed any more bottom-end with the longtubes? I guess that's the feedback I was looking for. Do you have column shifter? Did the headers clear that? I presume not?
Without a dyno, dragstrip timeslips, or some other scientific calculation, everything is just guesses and opinions. When I put the headers on I also put the bigger exhaust and glasspacks too. It definitely sounded louder so that must mean it now runs stronger too? I guess that's at least 50 HP, right? /sarcasm.

As I said above - unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine about an inch, then they slipped right in. I did not have to dimple or dent any tubes for clearance. I was also able to keep the original OEM starter too. I did not have any clearance issues with the kickdown linkage nor the column shifter linkage.
2013-04-14 15.05.47.jpg

I have the full length Hedman 78030 headers on my 1967 New Yorker with a 440. I had to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine about an inch, then they slipped right in. I did not have to dimple or dent any tubes for clearance. I was also able to keep the original OEM starter too. The driver side collector does hang a little low and may be a problem if your car is lowered.

The shorter "B" block such as a 383 or 400 may have issues but I didn't have any with the "RB" block.
View attachment 90868
View attachment 90869
Sorry, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I'm just curious about these headers and why headman doesn't list the new Yorker as a fit? I've been looking at the tti set up but the price of headman is much more realistic for me. ( I've got a 67 new Yorker as Well)

Back