Whole property generator

Reaction score
Looking at a generator for the acreage.

I am also considering replacing the wires/poles from the road to the end of the driveway (2/10 mile) while I am at it, as the poles are showing signs of aging.

experiences, comments welcomed.

I am also considering replacing the wires/poles from the road to the end of the driveway (2/10 mile) while I am at it, as the poles are showing signs of aging.

Buy a sub compact bucket loader with a backhoe.

Looking at a generator for the acreage.

I would suggest putting an electrical conduit underground and then running your electrical power lines through the conduit. At the same time, I would suggest running another conduit for the possibility of a cable or phone line (I know old technology) as long as the area was dug up. As was mentioned you could purchase a backhoe and do a good portion of the work yourself. Another possibility is if you have a neighbor with a backhoe ask them if they would be interested in doing the digging and then pay them for their time and equipment usage. I am not sure where you are located but some areas may require a licensed electrician to do any of the actual wiring but if you can run the conduit and pull the cables leaving the final hook up to the electrician you will save a fair amount of money.

I would suggest putting an electrical conduit underground and then running your electrical power lines through the conduit. At the same time, I would suggest running another conduit for the possibility of a cable or phone line (I know old technology) as long as the area was dug up. As was mentioned you could purchase a backhoe and do a good portion of the work yourself. Another possibility is if you have a neighbor with a backhoe ask them if they would be interested in doing the digging and then pay them for their time and equipment usage. I am not sure where you are located but some areas may require a licensed electrician to do any of the actual wiring but if you can run the conduit and pull the cables leaving the final hook up to the electrician you will save a fair amount of money.

If running extra conduit for data/telecom keep in mind any required horizontal separation distance between power feeder conduit.
Also since you're in SD where it freezes, you'll want to install the conduit a certain distance below the frost line, whatever that may be.

If running extra conduit for data/telecom keep in mind any required horizontal separation distance between power feeder conduit.
Also since you're in SD where it freezes, you'll want to install the conduit a certain distance below the frost line, whatever that may be.
I will run video and Ethernet from the house to the 2-car garage and shop.
I am totally uninterested in running data or video to the street as I presently have Starlink and DIRECTV.

Power will be trenched from the road and I know there’s some re-wiring that must be done as the shop subpanel is rated at 200 amps and the breaker for the entire property at the pole is 100 amps.

cobbled, scabbed on farm additions - LOL.

I will likely get contractors (general +) to do the work as I have plans to make an addition (connect the house to the 2-car garage), etc…

Last edited:
I will run video and Ethernet from the house to the 2-car garage and shop.
I am totally uninterested in running data or video to the street as I presently have Starlink and DIRECTV.

Power will be trenched from the road and I know there’s some re-wiring that must be done as the shop subpanel is rated at 200 amps and the breaker for the entire property at the pole is 100 amps.

cobbled, scabbed on farm additions - LOL.

I will likely get a contractor to do the work as I have plans to make an addition (connect the house to the 2-car garage), etc…

The panel rating is just what the bus is rated for, but yeah you're probably undersized at that main. Now's the time to do some master planning. You might also want to think about three phase power or at least running conduit or feeders that would accommodate in the future if you see the need.

Considering the run length it might even be worth it to look at running higher voltage up your road then step it down at a small transformer by the house.

All things to think about.... hopefully you can consult with an electrical engineer in the area or at least a contractor that can help with the planning aspect.

The panel rating is just what the bus is rated for, but yeah you're probably undersized at that main. Now's the time to do some master planning. You might also want to think about three phase power or at least running conduit or feeders that would accommodate in the future if you see the need.

Considering the run length it might even be worth it to look at running higher voltage up your road then step it down at a small transformer by the house.

All things to think about.... hopefully you can consult with an electrical engineer in the area or at least a contractor that can help with the planning aspect.
Thank you for the response.
Yes, I think that a conversation with an electrical engineer would be prudent.

The poles would be the property of your power company and you best contact them for any changes or replacement.

Also have a geez at this.

NFPA 70®: National Electrical Code®

heh South Dakota? Bet you can get away with anything way out there eh?

Yes, responsibility of who owns the lines is paramount.
I worked with FAA experimental aircraft and keeping the wiring on my property is important to me to be appropriately designed and constructed.

Had a Generac 24kw 200 amp unit installed as a backup for my shop in 2019. It runs off the LP tank and fires up automatically when the power goes out which happens a couple times a year. These new gennys are totally automatic come with wifi and send you a message when there's a problem like a low starter batter. Prior to this I had a manual genny I backed fed the fuse panel with. The new one was a great investment

Had a Generac 24kw 200 amp unit installed as a backup for my shop in 2019. It runs off the LP tank and fires up automatically when the power goes out which happens a couple times a year. These new gennys are totally automatic come with wifi and send you a message when there's a problem like a low starter batter. Prior to this I had a manual genny I backed fed the fuse panel with. The new one was a great investment
I'm curious as to how you chose the sizing of your generator, 24kw is big. I was considering a 9 or 10kw as a whole house unit, but no shop.

The shop is 8000sq ft and I needed to run a furnace/AC, electric in-floor heat during our Minnesota winters.

I have finally been contacted by the local coop that supports Generac and I am probably going with a 24 or 26kW air cooled unit. Haven’t decided whether diesel or propane, but leaning towards propane (if the diesel requires DEF, I will go with propane).

Back