Who's in the eclipse zone?

clear skies and a total eclipse viewing here. the ring around the sun was a bluish green viewing through my welding helmet and was awesome for about a minute. was it cool yes. would i have driven more than a hundred miles to see it no. but it was really cool and no one died.

Very interesting how cold it got, so fast. Should make people think about what is really the driving force of our global climate and weather - and it's not what comes out of our tail pipes.

Very interesting how cold it got, so fast. Should make people think about what is really the driving force of our global climate and weather - and it's not what comes out of our tail pipes.
I must disagree, the very element that depletes the ozone layer absolutely does come out of our tailpipes.

We were, got to a odd half light in Chicago. Used a piece of Obsidian rock to view it. Semi transparent stone native to areas around Mexico City.

I must disagree, the very element that depletes the ozone layer absolutely does come out of our tailpipes.

He didn't say Ozone . Climate and weather .
The scary hole in the Ozone has been healing since the 80s.
Climate and weather is controlled by a much larger factor than humans. Sure we contribute a bit but, just a bit. Don't be one of them Matt.

99% here. I bought glasses just in case it is clear, I bought a bunch of glasses to give to a few neighbour kids, but the moms said no thanks, they don't want to let the kids out and encourage them to look. Too dangerous. Oh well.
George Carlin sure had it right when he said stupid people in large groups are dangerous...

Kevin
Climate and weather is controlled by a much larger factor than humans. Sure we contribute a bit but, just a bit. Don't be one of them Matt.
The hole in the ozone has been there in varying degrees from the beginning.

Kevin

I do agree with you. All I was saying is that one of the elements that has a direct effect on our atmosphere, weather patterns and ozone is coming out of our tailpipes. Our emissions are having an effect, how much or how little? I have no idea….

Through my welding hood when I popped outside at work.

20240408_133259.jpg

20240408_150417.jpeg
20240408_151009.jpeg

Drove a couple of hours to Muncie which was in the path of total. Apparently local law enforcement was expecting a much larger turnout, but things were calm. Great day, near perfect viewing. In answer to Polara’s question, I was in Portland Oregon in early ‘79. A path of total eclipse passed across that corner of the Pacific Northwest. The day was completely overcast with light rain. While you couldn’t watch the moon cross the sun, the effect was possibly more dramatic. From the southwest, the horizon became much darker until almost black. As it continued it showed curvature. It slowly went like a giant blanket was being pulled over the rooftops and trees until day turned to night. The streetlights started to come on, dogs were barking, and all the birds were squawking. As it passed, light began to show and the blanket effect went slowly until it disappeared on the opposite horizon in the same manner as it came. People outside were cheering and honking car horns of course. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Back