Wifey called about a noise coming from her wagon

Timmayy

Reaction score
I got a call last night from my wife. She's in her 67 Fury wagon and says there's a noise coming from the left rear and the car is shaking while going down the road. She made it home ok but I hope she didn't do more damage. Guess what I'm doing after work today?

67 Fury wagon 2.jpg

She made it home safe, most important… keep us posted.

A guess: loose lugs, loose brake parts. Rubber bushings shot on suspension or shock.

Let me know if I’m close. Lol

I'm suspecting "tire", with lh rr axle bearing being a possibility if there was noise involved.

Please advise,
CBODY67

I have the rear wheels off and the brake drums off. As I turn it by hand it is not smooth, making a little rubbing/grinding sound and the axle shafts have some play in it. I can move it back and forth some and a little up and down. Both sides. I take it that's not normal?

I have the rear wheels off and the brake drums off. As I turn it by hand it is not smooth, making a little rubbing/grinding sound and the axle shafts have some play in it. I can move it back and forth some and a little up and down. Both sides. I take it that's not normal?
Rubbing/grinding sounds bad. If it's 8.75, you may need to pull the axles, then pull the center section and inspect.

So if that's the case I have never done that before. I take it I have to remove all the brake hardware first?
I removed the axles on my 71 New Yorker without removing brake shoes and hardware. As long as flange separates from backing plate easily the axle will come out. May be difficult if it has never been apart, in which case it may be better to remove hardware.

Just looking around the web. This is the kit from Dr Diff. Is this pretty much what I need to do it all? It's a 67 Fury wagon. Looks to be an 8 3/4 rear (I'm pretty sure it's the standard rear for all big wagons of that era). It's wifey's wagon so I really don't need super high performance. With a stock 318 2 barrel she is not hot rodding around town.

1697112420858.png

Last edited:
Just looking around the web. This is the kit from Dr Diff. Is this pretty much what I need to do it all? It's a 67 Fury wagon. Looks to be an 8 3/4 rear (I'm pretty sure it's the standard rear for all big wagons of that era). It's wifey's wagon so I really don't need super high performance. With a stock 318 2 barrel she is not hot rodding around town.

View attachment 621656
IMHO, buy the Timken option to get a better bearings.

I've bought these pieces separately through Rock Auto to save a few bucks, but I'm cheap and had time to pick and choose. A complete kit is a good option.

Unless you have access to a press, you'll still need to have the old ones cut off and new ones pressed on.

IMHO, buy the Timken option to get a better bearings.

I've bought these pieces separately through Rock Auto to save a few bucks, but I'm cheap and had time to pick and choose. A complete kit is a good option.

Unless you have access to a press, you'll still need to have the old ones cut off and new ones pressed on.
Ok, the Timken sounds good. I do have a press so that's not an issue.

I'm suspecting "tire", with lh rr axle bearing being a possibility if there was noise involved.

Please advise,
CBODY67
I'm still on tire as well if there's shaking.

Bearing will make a whirring type noise.
Spinning an open axle will make spider gear noises-- normal.

Diagnose properly first.

I am going to start pulling all the brake hardware. Taking axles out is new to me. I've never done it before. Do I have to remove the pumpkin to release the axles?

Back